Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 10, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #10,936 of 15,268
@JamesMay
I'm just providing some insight into the discrepancy between the many reviews and your impression of the X2.
It's your ear and you're free to state whatever regarding the bass.

Basically, I'm just saying X2's are on the bassy side for open cans, based on personal experience and the many reviews. Yes, I ready many X2 reviews.

So perhaps your expectation was different. I even vaguely remember a review specifically stating that these are bassy for open cans, but no where near closed cans.
Other possible explanations that I was just throwing out to see what sticks to you experience were burn in, defective cans, etc.

In the end if it doesn't meet your expectations, like I said earlier, my personal suggestion is that you'll have better luck looking into closed cans.
And there are many threads that will help you look for bass emphasized open/closed cans. If you find one that meets your needs, it'll be great if you can share comparisons here as well.

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #10,937 of 15,268
If someone's stating X2 is not a bassy headphone, they're definitely in a minority there.

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #10,938 of 15,268
@JamesMay
I'm just providing some insight into the discrepancy between the many reviews and your impression of the X2.
It's your ear and you're free to state whatever regarding the bass.

Basically, I'm just saying X2's are on the bassy side for open cans, based on personal experience and the many reviews. Yes, I ready many X2 reviews.

So perhaps your expectation was different. I even vaguely remember a review specifically stating that these are bassy for open cans, but no where near closed cans.
Other possible explanations that I was just throwing out to see what sticks to you experience were burn in, defective cans, etc.

In the end if it doesn't meet your expectations, like I said earlier, my personal suggestion is that you'll have better luck looking into closed cans.
And there are many threads that will help you look for bass emphasized open/closed cans. If you find one that meets your needs, it'll be great if you can share comparisons here as well.

I dont want closed cans. I wanted these because they're like the 558s, open, wide sound stage. But with more bass.. which seems to not be the case though.

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #10,939 of 15,268
I can't imagine needing that much more bass than the X2. Maybe tighter, quicker bass, but any huge bass boost on top of the X2s sound profile will probably eat into your ability to resolve other frequencies (like mids, mid-lows). I mean, that is how that tends to work, right?

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #10,940 of 15,268
That is not how it works. Headphones / earphones that are superfast and have great clarity are able to have more bass and resolve the mids
much better at the same time.

Frequency response isn't everything.

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #10,941 of 15,268
I've only heard one open dynamic headphone with more bass than the X2 and that's the FA-011. More bass is also the only thing they outshine the X2 on imo. I really don't like the FA-011 that much any more due to their very closed in dark sound and overwhelming bass.

I'm surprised to even see headphones like the HD558 and FA-011 compared to the X2 since I find X2 so much better than both of them. I've owned all three of these for a couple of years now so I'm very familiar with them and this in honestly how I feel.

If you want a headphone with a lot of bass you probably need to get a planar if you're looking for a open can or go for a closed one.

To say that everybody else is wrong and you're right is pretty ridiculous imo. To me everybody is right because we hear what we hear.

If you don't like the X2 fine, sell them and move on. It's that simple.

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #10,942 of 15,268
I got fidelio x1 and sennheiser hd650 believe me the x1 are going nowhere they destroy the 650's for gaming / movies but not music.
The x2 improved upon x1 they must be be even better.X1 are my everyday computer gaming movies music headphones the soundstage and bass slam is perfect for gaming and movies.

You're never going to get taught tight timbre on open cans you need closed or planar magnetic for that snappy crisp sound.

My end game is probably audio technica adh 2000x I just like the punchy yet airy breathyness of open 

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #10,943 of 15,268
I will not say the X2's have the best bass, but if the bass is not noticeable or rather next to boomy on tracks like
Cheat Code - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKj26_jGmH4
Silent Shout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uI1KXHJVO8
Canto At Gabelmeister's Peak - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpYRhBgonDA
I'd say that particular pair of X2's are possibly faulty

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #10,944 of 15,268
That is not how it works. Headphones / earphones that are superfast and have great clarity are able to have more bass and resolve the mids
much better at the same time.

Frequency response isn't everything.

I agree with you broadly but I do think a super boosted FR can hinder resolving recessed sounds (to a lesser extent), especially if one has to turn the volume down as a result.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #10,946 of 15,268
Guess you aint read many reviews or checked any youtube reviews. Everyone says they're bassy headphones.

And how can my pair be defective if you all constantly keep saying they're not bassy headphones because theyre open blabla? If my lack of bass is accordingly..
Its funny considering every single review, in our known existence, has said the X2s are Bassy headphones.

I expected bass, got none, 558s have more, even without EQ.

I think it's you who hasn't read enough review lol, x2 is bassy but it's not closed can level, and if you want the best bass, only planar magnetic can deliver that.

A lot of reviews touch on this subject, but this hobby is pretty subjective, so it might be your taste.

Jun 11, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #10,948 of 15,268
  I will not say the X2's have the best bass, but if the bass is not noticeable or rather next to boomy on tracks like
Cheat Code - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKj26_jGmH4
Silent Shout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uI1KXHJVO8
Canto At Gabelmeister's Peak - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpYRhBgonDA
I'd say that particular pair of X2's are possibly faulty

There is some bass, but not alot.

The Silent Shout doesnt have much.

Canto, or Grand Hotel seem very left channel on the lowend.

I feel the balance is a bit off. in some videos on the tube the sound is a bit clearer on the right than it is on the left.

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #10,949 of 15,268
  There is some bass, but not alot.

The Silent Shout doesnt have much.

Canto, or Grand Hotel seem very left channel on the lowend.

I feel the balance is a bit off. in some videos on the tube the sound is a bit clearer on the right than it is on the left.

I will say that I just picked up a jds labs c5d amp/dac the other night and I am amazed with how much bass quantity it added on both the half-step and full step analog bass boosts, without bloating or muddying anything up. 

I think the X2's actually scale higher in quantity than my fa-011's do on the highest boost setting, and still retain a very nice and high quality and resolution while doing so, while the fa011's started bleeding too hard into the mids on the highest bass boost setting.

Absolutely awesome.

Definitely keeping them now. 

The only things that I miss from the FA-011's now is the mids quantity and the overall pleasant coloration. The x2's mids are still quite recessed, but I think the x2 gets so much right at this point with EQ that it is hard to fault it. 

I would suggest trying out your x2's with an analog bass boost on an amp if you haven't already; it made a big difference for me.  

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #10,950 of 15,268
I will say that I just picked up a jds labs c5d amp/dac the other night and I am amazed with how much bass quantity it added on both the half-step and full step analog bass boosts, without bloating or muddying anything up. 

I think the X2's actually scale higher in quantity than my fa-011's do on the highest boost setting, and still retain a very nice and high quality and resolution while doing so, while the fa011's started bleeding too hard into the mids on the highest bass boost setting.

Absolutely awesome.

Definitely keeping them now. 

The only things that I miss from the FA-011's now is the mids quantity and the overall pleasant coloration. The x2's mids are still quite recessed, but I think the x2 gets so much right at this point with EQ that it is hard to fault it. 

I would suggest trying out your x2's with an analog bass boost on an amp if you haven't already; it made a big difference for me.  

Although I have no idea how the fa-011scales, the X2 does scale well despite the specs.
I'm really enjoying it with the Valhalla 2 and Bifrost mb setup.

Btw, I purchased a barely used He400 (not the newer 400s or 400i) that is another can known for its bass.
I still need more time with it, but so far bass quantity wise the X2 is holding its own fairly well on my setup.
Initial impressions give the upper hand in bass quality to the planar he400, but the bass bump on the X2 is actually thumping slightly harder than the hifiman can. So definitely, the X2 are bassy open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back