Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 8, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #10,921 of 15,268
  coming from Philips shp9500 im currently considering buying fidelio X2 for mostly gaming and movies..while the shp9500 were great for gaming(very good soundstage) the bass is really shy and soft.

now i want type of bass that's resemble big woofer bass with good amount of oumph! , i heard the X2 bass is bit light than X1..so is X1 more fun for gaming than X2?

also another headphone im considering are the AKG Q701..any help or advice on what to buy would be appreciated

I had the AKG Q701 for awhile and the X2 (not at the same time though).  With the bass port mod, the Q701's have a decent amount of bass and still a great soundstage (better than the X2).  Personally, I like the Q701's (bass port mod) or the K7XX better than the X2.

Having said that, the X2 has more bass and more 'fun' signature than either of the AKG's.  So if you want big woofer bass, AKG's aren't going to deliver.  X2 would have more bass.

But to be honest, with the reports concerning the quality control on the X2's, I don't see myself owning them again until they get it sorted out.  My pair had the infamous 'ink bleed' issue but sounded great.

Have you considered the THX00?  I haven't heard them yet and plan on picking up a set at some point in the future.  Some people report that they like them better than the X2's and still have that bass (even moreso).  Since they are semi-open, they won't have the soundstage of the X2's but apparently it is still pretty decent.  Check over on the THX00 thread for some comparisons between the two.

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #10,922 of 15,268
Hey, is anything "bad" going to happen if I'm using a 32-64 ohm setting for the X2's? Because when I use the 32 or lower ohm setting the volume is too low. I got the xonar DG soundcard and the only available settings are (32 ohm or lower, 32-64 ohm and 64 ohm or higher)

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #10,923 of 15,268
@CSGOnerd
Nope it should be fine
redface.gif
. You'll probably damage your hearing before you'd do any serious damage to the X2s.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #10,926 of 15,268
Holy shet this forum is being a real pita, constant auto scroll randomly.

I just got my Fidelio X2s.
I previously used HD558.
Plugged into a Xonar DX.
These phones should be easier to drive than the HD558s.

My impression so far.. not impressed. They sound the same, the bass everyone says is supposed to be boomy/powerful, is nowhere to be heard. I find they have as much bass as my HD558s. I.e. very neutral and flat sounding.

These are supposed to be "fun" headphones, but they're just flat lol.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #10,927 of 15,268
Holy shet this forum is being a real pita, constant auto scroll randomly.

I just got my Fidelio X2s.

I previously used HD558.

Plugged into a Xonar DX.

These phones should be easier to drive than the HD558s.

My impression so far.. not impressed. They sound the same, the bass everyone says is supposed to be boomy/powerful, is nowhere to be heard. I find they have as much bass as my HD558s. I.e. very neutral and flat sounding.

These are supposed to be "fun" headphones, but they're just flat lol.

No way lol, you'll notice it after sometime with x2, i also came from 558 and after X2 most open headphones will sound thin in comparison

But if you expect some hard hitting bass you should not be looking at open headphone in the first place, go closed or semi open

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #10,928 of 15,268
No way lol, you'll notice it after sometime with x2, i also came from 558 and after X2 most open headphones will sound thin in comparison

But if you expect some hard hitting bass you should not be looking at open headphone in the first place, go closed or semi open

Well everyone says they are hard hitting bass headphones "fun" headphones. Explosions sound Powerful and bassy. I find the opposite. 

Some review even mentioned their skull rumbling.

Jun 9, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #10,932 of 15,268
Like others have said, open headphones probably isn't where you should be looking at for hard hitting bass (although they hit hard enough for me). There are open planars with good quality bass (some with decent quantity too). Having said that I'm not sure what your definition of "fun" is. It certainly is fun for a good majority of the people who tried these.

At least among the open headphones I tried, the X2 is definitely on the fun side of the spectrum, and does produce a good quantity of bass.

Perhaps, your definition/scale of fun is at a different standard. My bet is, if you don't find the X2 fun, then most other open cans won't be fun as well.

Or, you may just have a defective can. Or it needs time to burn in (or your ears).

Jun 10, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #10,933 of 15,268
@JamesMay That is very odd. Compared to my Sennheiser PC360( 558 with a mic AFAIK) the X2s have a lot more bass. Maybe you got a bad pair?

This is what I am beginning to think. I don't honestly know how anyone could consider the x2's to have a strong bass presence based on the pair that I have. I find it to be exactly in line with the rest of the frequencies (aside from the mids, which are recessed). Otherwise, no boom, no impact; just an overall relaxed signature with nice detail and extension, but not much quantity of any certain thing.

Also, the claims that the X2's are the bassiest open headphones is downright wrong. The Fischer Audio FA-011's have significantly more bass quantity, however they don't have quite as good extension or resolution (more mid-bassy and impactful but with less clarity). The fa-011's also have a more forward and intimate sound signature overall. I prefer the FA-011's over my x2's in every way except for soundstage size and overall imaging/clarity.

To put it like this; the FA-011's sound like a front row seat at a 70's nightclub with a nice pair of warm speakers on each side of your head. Vocals are forward and in your face, bass is rumbling and punchy with lots of texture, soundstage is great and wide (150ish degree angle), and highs are also forward. However, there is a noticeable muffle and slight lack of clarity when A/B'ing with the X2's. It goes away after 20 minutes of brain-in and everything is good again (imo).

My X2's on the other hand, sound like a high quality pair of neutral monitor speakers playing in the room next to me. Airy highs, better imaging, overall "clearer", and wider soundstage (near 180 degrees), however the entire sound signature seems boring and distant. Mids are noticeably recessed. Bass is there when you focus on it with good extension but has a laughable amount of quantity in comparison to the FA-011's, and has no real impact whatsoever.

As far as intimacy goes, if I was in a concert hall, fa-011's are second row, X2's are 15th row

Someone did one of these comparison styles somewhere else on the forum, and it describes so many things in so few words, so I think I will try it.

= (they are equal)
> marginally greater
>> significantly greater
>>> Immensely greater

Bass Quantity: FA-011 >> X2
Bass Quality: X2 > FA-011
Midrange Quantity: FA-011 > X2
Midrange Quality: =
Highs Quantity: =
Highs Quality: X2 > FA-011
Soundstage: X2 > FA-011
Imaging: x2 >> FA-011
Intimacy: FA-011 >> X2

I prefer an intimate and forward sound signature with a good soundstage, so I still enjoy the FA-011's more in every way except when I listen to songs that benefit from great soundstage or airy highs, which is usually some trance/electronic music without much bass.

Electronic music with bass, rock, folk, hip hop, and just about everything in between still sound more intimate, fun, and engaging to me with the fa011.

I have been playing with foobar EQ on the X2's and have found a nice set of pre-sets made by a guy online, one of which is called "Punch and sparkle" which ads a nice W shape to the frequencies which I think really helps the X2's become more engaging and intimate. They still lack the punch, quantity, and impact that the FA-011 have, but at least the bass isn't hiding anymore. Vocals are slightly more forward and don't take as much of a backseat anymore, but still aren't as forward as I would like. Highs actually do start to sparkle and sound really nice now. Better than FA-011 highs.

tl; dr x2's bass is lacking, not the greatest quantity in open headphones, i think there is a difference in sound signatures of different x2 models (given the polarizing impressions), mids are too recessed on the x2's for my liking, i want something more like the fa-011's but with clearer instruments and better imaging without sacrificing massive amounts of bass quantity and recessed mids

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #10,934 of 15,268
  Like others have said, open headphones probably isn't where you should be looking at for hard hitting bass (although they hit hard enough for me). There are open planars with good quality bass (some with decent quantity too). Having said that I'm not sure what your definition of "fun" is. It certainly is fun for a good majority of the people who tried these.

At least among the open headphones I tried, the X2 is definitely on the fun side of the spectrum, and does produce a good quantity of bass.

Perhaps, your definition/scale of fun is at a different standard. My bet is, if you don't find the X2 fun, then most other open cans won't be fun as well.

Guess you aint read many reviews or checked any youtube reviews. Everyone says they're bassy headphones.

And how can my pair be defective if you all constantly keep saying they're not bassy headphones because theyre open blabla? If my lack of bass is accordingly..

Also, the claims that the X2's are the bassiest open headphones is downright wrong. The Fischer Audio FA-011's have significantly more bass quantity, however they don't have quite as good extension or resolution (more mid-bassy and impactful but with less clarity). The fa-011's also have a more forward and intimate sound signature overall. I prefer the FA-011's over my x2's in every way except for soundstage size and overall imaging/clarity.

Its funny considering every single review, in our known existence, has said the X2s are Bassy headphones.

I expected bass, got none, 558s have more, even without EQ.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #10,935 of 15,268
@Vonx
I just got a pair of HD600s earlier today, should be a decent reference point. Some quick thoughts: The highs are more pronounced on the 600 compared to X2, same with the mids. The bass on the 600 is tighter, but not as pronounced and doesn't extend as deep as the X2. Instrument separation is slightly better on the 600 IMO, soundstage is bigger on the X2. The X2s also sound slightly grainy compared to the HD 600s, this is most likely because of the pads(I tried ZMF pads on the X2s and they didn't sound as grainy). Overall the HD600 sounds more detailed. Hope that might help you tell if yours are faulty or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back