Philips Fidelio X2?!
May 28, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #10,891 of 15,268
  Why? It's the closest you'll get to the X2's sound signature and has everything you listed.

There's the SHP9500 which has a decent soundstage, but it sounds completely different (more treble-focused) from the X2.

The SHP9500 has a mediocre imaging :/
  I want to say Sony MA900, but sadly its non detachable... maybe you can buy a modded pair somewhere
Other than that, Audio Technica AD series.

The AD series doesn't have a detachable cable.

Looks like the X2 has a hard to find recipe 
rolleyes.gif

May 28, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #10,892 of 15,268
Az vitathato lenne.
tongue.gif

I was guessing as much but how one know what they have? I was looking at the box for clues, also what is the difference between them? Thanks.

In my opinion this woox/gibson issue has been over-exaggerated. Sound quality must be almost identical. (Although, with some Gibson pairs channel-imbalance has been reported.). The biggest and most obvious difference is the glued earpads on the Gibson made pairs, however this is quite irrelevant when you look at sound quality.
 On all X2s you can read 'Woox' on the headphones itself, but on the box it clearly says if it is Gibson or Woox.
Again, this difference is over-exaggerated in my opinion, however I couldn't be happy with glued pads.

May 28, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #10,894 of 15,268
In my opinion this woox/gibson issue has been over-exaggerated. Sound quality must be almost identical. (Although, with some Gibson pairs channel-imbalance has been reported.). The biggest and most obvious difference is the glued earpads on the Gibson made pairs, however this is quite irrelevant when you look at sound quality.

On all X2s you can read 'Woox' on the headphones itself, but on the box it clearly says if it is Gibson or Woox.

Again, this difference is over-exaggerated in my opinion, however I couldn't be happy with glued pads.

Some of the Woox had glued pads too. I really don't think the Woox vs Gibson thing is the difference. I think they made changes to the manufacturing process on the later Woox that carried over to the Gibson, that's all. Supposedly the new Gibson pairs have gone back to no glue

May 28, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #10,895 of 15,268
Some of the Woox had glued pads too. I really don't think the Woox vs Gibson thing is the difference. I think they made changes to the manufacturing process on the later Woox that carried over to the Gibson, that's all. Supposedly the new Gibson pairs have gone back to no glue

I read the statement of
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?22285-Philips-X2-Statement
As they had decided at that point to no longer add glue to the pins but still leave glue on the pads. Maybe it's changed again.

The manual in my pair (with glue) describes the pair as replaceable (from memory) and not removable.

How easy do pads without the glue or with glue removed slip off?

May 28, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #10,896 of 15,268

Are you playing competitive FPS? If not, it doesn't really matter all that much. If you are, then you should probably just get an AD700x or 598 and be done with it. You won't find anything else that really satisfies those criteria besides the X1/X2.

I thought that I won't find all those characteristics in one pair of headphones, I wanted to make sure maybe I overlooked a pair. Thank you anyway :D 

May 28, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #10,897 of 15,268

I ended up replacing my pair 4 times, to finally end up with a pair where the "decor sticker" on the cups aren't lifting, and showing silver. They all sounded exactly alike, all said "Woox" on the headphones, only the first one said "Woox" on the box, the current set, and the other two replacements said Gibson. So... Who really made my headphones? Clearly not Philips, i know that, but....

B!

May 29, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #10,898 of 15,268
If i have that many returns... Will label the experience itself as a bad one... What are you so picky about to return them if they sound exactly the same?

May 29, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #10,899 of 15,268
If i have that many returns... Will label the experience itself as a bad one... What are you so picky about to return them if they sound exactly the same?

I want a pair that looks like they are supposed to, and not where the decor is lifting showing the silver side of the foil, making it look like a big nasty scratch. Was it only cosmetically, sure.
Whats the first thing you see about the headphones? Yes, cosmetics. So, i want them to look right, at least when i start using them. If i scratch them my self over the years, then that is on me.
B!

May 29, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #10,900 of 15,268

I want a pair that looks like they are supposed to, and not where the decor is lifting showing the silver side of the foil, making it look like a big nasty scratch. Was it only cosmetically, sure.
Whats the first thing you see about the headphones? Yes, cosmetics. So, i want them to look right, at least when i start using them. If i scratch them my self over the years, then that is on me.
B!

I feel the same way. Mind if I ask where you've been purchasing them from?

May 29, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #10,901 of 15,268
I read the statement of
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?22285-Philips-X2-Statement
As they had decided at that point to no longer add glue to the pins but still leave glue on the pads. Maybe it's changed again.

The manual in my pair (with glue) describes the pair as replaceable (from memory) and not removable.

How easy do pads without the glue or with glue removed slip off?

Very easily. I was inspecting mine the other day, just turning them over, looking around, and one of the pads fell off. 

May 29, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #10,902 of 15,268
Very easily. I was inspecting mine the other day, just turning them over, looking around, and one of the pads fell off. 

I thought that might be the case

Mine have some glue and it seems the pads could be easily taken off the glue as I played with it a bit and I heard the tearing off of the glue but stopped. I couldn't help to think that since these pads don't screw on then they would fall off

I'm glad there is some glue. But like the press statement says I can see stand why putting it in the pins might be excessive

Luckily my ear pads have nothing exposed underneath that shouldn't be there so they are keepers.

I managed to pick up a cheap soloist sl and that should pair well I believe, having had the soloist amp a while ago

May 30, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #10,904 of 15,268
May 30, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #10,905 of 15,268
I have seen several people say they have been using the HM5 pads on their X2s but not really anyone mentioning trying out the hybrids...  Just got a pair and so far I like em. Seems to have the same openness as the velors but with a little more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back