Philips Fidelio X2?!
May 20, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #10,847 of 15,268
Hey all,
I've looked the X2 Today for a friend at Amazon and it seems they have great deal going now for them. £169 for a new pair.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-X2-00-Fidelio-Headphone/dp/B00MRUPSHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463741593&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+x2

May 21, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #10,849 of 15,268
  TH-X00s have eventually knocked my original WOOX X2s out. I bought it before any QC issues. For sale on classified.

Can you tell us more about it?
bigsmile_face.gif

May 21, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #10,850 of 15,268

Can you tell us more about it?
bigsmile_face.gif

Sure.
 I posted 2-3 longer comments of my initial impressions in X00 thread and planning to summarize my thoughts in a 'review'. All of these are mainly comparing/going to compare X00s to X2. If someone is more interested, check these out, but here is my opinion in a nutshell.

Many of you know, I look for a 'quality fun' sound in headphones. I want to enjoy my music. A slightly elevated bass gives me more joy than a completely flat, neutral response. I listen to a lot of electronic-like music, where bass is very important. (Amon Tobin, Shpongle, Koan). With my bass I equally like spaciousness and airiness. And this is where problems begin for many of us. How much of the bass you sacrifice for openness, or how much openness you sacrifice for better/more bass? Talking about opened and closed back headphones obviously.
 X2 was my compromise for a long time. It does have the space and naturalness of an opened back, while gives a decent amount of bass. I still think, X2 is unbeatable under £300 for pure music enjoyment. I personally still prefer X2 to HD600, M100, HE400s, while admitting the strengths of the last three. Nighthawks was more or less on the same level for me as X2. NH is better in many things, with better bass. But at the end of the day I found myself equally (but differently) liking them both. And if I like them the same way why not to sell the more expensive one. (Also I couldn't get used to NH's upper mid-lower treble presentation.)
 And then we arrive to X00s. My hopes were high. It was clear in the first few minutes, that X00 is a better headphone than X2 in almost everything. Stunning built quality, beautiful mahogany cups. Bass is the best I have heard so far. Better than NH bass. Extends lower, while it remains linear (sub-bass is equal partner to mid- and upper-bass). X2 bass while it does a good job sometimes, is just nowhere in comparison. X00 bass is detailed, clear, well-separated, punchy, has a great impact and slam. Dream bass. More detailed than NH, and hits harder. NH is a bit soft and warm in comparison. Mids are more forward than X2 mids, all vocals are clearly audible. I was worrying little bit about the recessed mids, but the sound signature is more like W shaped, not V. So you got your mids. Highs are the strongest highs from all the mentioned headphones in this comment. Again, very clear and sparkling. Initially my only complaint was the somewhat strong treble on X00s. Out of the box it was a bit sharp to my ears. With burn-in it seems to tame down, but still very present. It is definitely a more intense listening experience to listen to X00s than it was with X2s. After 9 days the treble seems to lost its edge, but still very present.
 Lets talk about space, airiness and naturalness a little bit. All of these are better on X2. But X00 gives you a much more refined, detailed, quality sound. I am happy to trade in X2s space for the excitement and entertainment factor of X00s. X2 sounds like old, pale speakers when you compare it to the highly addictive beauty and excitement of X00s. More refined, more detailed with awesome bass. And it does have a nice 3D space. Not like open air, but a very nice and almost tangible space. A bit like a good surround home theater. While X2 is more 2.1 speaker-like in this regard. Music is closer with X00, further with X2.
So yes, I lost some space and naturalness with X00 compared to X2, but gained so much more in every other aspects, that I didn't need to think much about sending X2s to retirement. The fun factor is classes above. Not just bass, but refinement, details. It is like sitting in a Porsche 911 after a somewhat sporty but huge family car.

May 21, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #10,852 of 15,268

Sure.
 I posted 2-3 longer comments of my initial impressions in X00 thread and planning to summarize my thoughts in a 'review'. All of these are mainly comparing/going to compare X00s to X2. If someone is more interested, check these out, but here is my opinion in a nutshell.

Many of you know, I look for a 'quality fun' sound in headphones. I want to enjoy my music. A slightly elevated bass gives me more joy than a completely flat, neutral response. I listen to a lot of electronic-like music, where bass is very important. (Amon Tobin, Shpongle, Koan). With my bass I equally like spaciousness and airiness. And this is where problems begin for many of us. How much of the bass you sacrifice for openness, or how much openness you sacrifice for better/more bass? Talking about opened and closed back headphones obviously.
 X2 was my compromise for a long time. It does have the space and naturalness of an opened back, while gives a decent amount of bass. I still think, X2 is unbeatable under £300 for pure music enjoyment. I personally still prefer X2 to HD600, M100, HE400s, while admitting the strengths of the last three. Nighthawks was more or less on the same level for me as X2. NH is better in many things, with better bass. But at the end of the day I found myself equally (but differently) liking them both. And if I like them the same way why not to sell the more expensive one. (Also I couldn't get used to NH's upper mid-lower treble presentation.)
 And then we arrive to X00s. My hopes were high. It was clear in the first few minutes, that X00 is a better headphone than X2 in almost everything. Stunning built quality, beautiful mahogany cups. Bass is the best I have heard so far. Better than NH bass. Extends lower, while it remains linear (sub-bass is equal partner to mid- and upper-bass). X2 bass while it does a good job sometimes, is just nowhere in comparison. X00 bass is detailed, clear, well-separated, punchy, has a great impact and slam. Dream bass. More detailed than NH, and hits harder. NH is a bit soft and warm in comparison. Mids are more forward than X2 mids, all vocals are clearly audible. I was worrying little bit about the recessed mids, but the sound signature is more like W shaped, not V. So you got your mids. Highs are the strongest highs from all the mentioned headphones in this comment. Again, very clear and sparkling. Initially my only complaint was the somewhat strong treble on X00s. Out of the box it was a bit sharp to my ears. With burn-in it seems to tame down, but still very present. It is definitely a more intense listening experience to listen to X00s than it was with X2s. After 9 days the treble seems to lost its edge, but still very present.
 Lets talk about space, airiness and naturalness a little bit. All of these are better on X2. But X00 gives you a much more refined, detailed, quality sound. I am happy to trade in X2s space for the excitement and entertainment factor of X00s. X2 sounds like old, pale speakers when you compare it to the highly addictive beauty and excitement of X00s. More refined, more detailed with awesome bass. And it does have a nice 3D space. Not like open air, but a very nice and almost tangible space. A bit like a good surround home theater. While X2 is more 2.1 speaker-like in this regard. Music is closer with X00, further with X2.
So yes, I lost some space and naturalness with X00 compared to X2, but gained so much more in every other aspects, that I didn't need to think much about sending X2s to retirement. The fun factor is classes above. Not just bass, but refinement, details. It is like sitting in a Porsche 911 after a somewhat sporty but huge family car.

And this is precisely what I was hoping for when I jumped on the Purpleheart drop :) Same basic fun as X2, with more detail and fidelity. I have no qualms trading some soundstage space for that.

Patiently waiting for August now......

I won't be selling my X2's however....they will still have space in my collection as a comparison point.

May 21, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #10,853 of 15,268
  And this is precisely what I was hoping for when I jumped on the Purpleheart drop :) Same basic fun as X2, with more detail and fidelity. I have no qualms trading some soundstage space for that.

Patiently waiting for August now......

I won't be selling my X2's however....they will still have space in my collection as a comparison point.

Trust me, you won't be listening to X2 again. But it is a good idea to keep it as a reference point. On my relatively tight budget I rather invest X2's price into upgrades.

May 21, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #10,855 of 15,268
I just bought some X2's which should be on their way. Just found out that if you're unlucky you get a defect pair. Now I've never had these headphones before, so how do I know if they sound correctly and not defect/bad. Also saw something about glue on the earpads, but I probably won't change the pads anyway so that's not a problem. But I want to make sure the sound is what it should be. How do I tell the difference in sound if it's a bad pair or good? 

May 21, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #10,856 of 15,268
  I just bought some X2's which should be on their way. Just found out that if you're unlucky you get a defect pair. Now I've never had these headphones before, so how do I know if they sound correctly and not defect/bad. Also saw something about glue on the earpads, but I probably won't change the pads anyway so that's not a problem. But I want to make sure the sound is what it should be. How do I tell the difference in sound if it's a bad pair or good? 

If they sound great keep them. If they don't sound great send them back. 

May 21, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #10,857 of 15,268
Citar:

Citar:
Postado Originalmente por CSGOnerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Eu só comprei alguns X2 de que deve estar no seu caminho. Só descobri que se você não está com sorte você tem um par de defeito. Agora eu nunca tive esses fones de ouvido antes, assim como faço para saber se eles soam corretamente e não desertar / ruim. Também vi algo sobre cola sobre as almofadas, mas eu provavelmente não vai mudar as pastilhas de qualquer maneira para que isso não é um problema. Mas eu quero ter certeza que o som é o que deveria ser. Como posso dizer a diferença no som se é um par bom ou ruim? 

Citar:
Postado Originalmente por HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Se eles som excelente mantê-los. Se eles não parecer grande enviá-los de volta. 

Eu tenho a mesma pergunta, eu não sei como comprar X2 Original Sound bom / ótimo via ebay / amazon?
Eu estou no pais Brasil.

May 22, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #10,858 of 15,268

If they sound great keep them. If they don't sound great send them back. 

But how do I know how great they're supposed to sound? I have nothing to compare them to. They might sound great to me, but they could still be defect in the sound because I don't know how great they're supposed to sound... They're pretty expensive (for me atleast) and I want to make sure they sound as intended. I just want to know what to look for in a defect pair soundwise. Like I've seen people saying that right earcup is louder than left.

May 22, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #10,860 of 15,268
But how do I know how great they're supposed to sound? I have nothing to compare them to. They might sound great to me, but they could still be defect in the sound because I don't know how great they're supposed to sound... They're pretty expensive (for me atleast) and I want to make sure they sound as intended. I just want to know what to look for in a defect pair soundwise. Like I've seen people saying that right earcup is louder than left.

put your favourite song on and if there is no smile on your face they are most likely defective. All I can say is that when I tried x2 I knew straight away they are special. had samsons and hd568 at the time and never used them since then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back