Philips Fidelio X2?!
May 14, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #10,831 of 15,268
Thanks for the report, orcus286! I don't know how they did it, but Gibson seems to finally be releasing X2s without the build issues! Such a relief, now I'll be able to recommend X2s to people again. I'm just wondering, though; Do they sound muddy or funky to you at all?
PS: Oh man, I'm looking forward to people quoting your post with all the pictures and such.

May 14, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #10,832 of 15,268
  Thanks for the report, orcus286! I don't know how they did it, but Gibson seems to finally be releasing X2s without the build issues! Such a relief, now I'll be able to recommend X2s to people again. I'm just wondering, though; Do they sound muddy or funky to you at all?
PS: Oh man, I'm looking forward to people quoting your post with all the pictures and such.

It has been a week since I had on the last Gibson pair but I could tell right away with it how it sounded really bad ... These sound nothing like that. They sound really great.

May 14, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #10,833 of 15,268
  I immediately said oh crap loudly to myself when I looked on the box and saw it was a Gibson and not Woox but I continued on...... I guess 3rd times the charm for me (and 6th between myself and my friend)... It has the newer less comfortable pads but I can't find a single QC issue with this pair.  No glue on the pads, no ink drip, perfectly aligned wording on the cans, no channel imbalance that I can hear, the piece under the headband is pretty spot on and it even feels like it has some extra padding on headband that your head touches.

Finally a good pair of X2s!!!

edit: I just wanted to mention again that these came directly from Amazon and not a 3rd party ... The other 5 pairs also came direct from Amazon so there are still some bad apples out there.

Glad you found a good pair. I'm kinda torn on whether I want to try for another pair or not. It seems to be such a crapshoot

May 14, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #10,835 of 15,268

Glad you found a good pair. I'm kinda torn on whether I want to try for another pair or not. It seems to be such a crapshoot

Dunno if its all the returns still or what but they were $276 when I bought my first pair 2 weeks ago and have since dropped $46 down to $230.99. I'd honestly suggest to just send back the ones you got from the warehouse and order a new pair and see what happens. If they are crap then just call Amazon and say its defective and they will send out a replacement using the same shipping you paid for and you just have to have the 1st pair back within 30 days or they will charge you for both.

May 14, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #10,837 of 15,268
I think some people may be over analysing their Gibson X2, which is understandable considering all the publicity that these headphones received recently. saying that there are no perfect headphones. The sooner you realise the better.

How much second hand Woox go for these days? they'll be legendary (read expensive) in a year or two ☺️

May 14, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #10,838 of 15,268
Does Woox vs. Gibson still an issue or people just overreacting about it now? Someone selling it here locally which was bought aside the country as is it is not locally available. The unit was Gibson manufactured but no Woox label on the headphone.

How was it over Beyerdynamic DT 990 overall? My current IEM is RHA MA750i. I like wide soundstage, bright, decent to great bass, "fun".
My DAP is xDuoo X3, was about to buy an iBasso Bushmaster D14 or Aune B1 however can't justify that I'll be needing one because can't hear a difference yet.

Thanks in advance!

May 14, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #10,839 of 15,268
I can report that I had to send my pair back to the store some weeks back because i found a fault! (Gibson-Produced)

On the left side one of the metalt bars for the "headband" was broken right beside the Plug for the actual headrest, resultet in the cans giving alot of presure on my right ear, making it ace after use. Not my fault, have not used them in bed, and they have had their own stand since i got them.
Problem was hidden by the leather, and is what kept them together i guess, I think it's just a problem when one of the workers that made them has been uncearful when pressing together the "plug" assembly for the headcushin?!
Had this problem from the start with prolounged use when they gave me pain around my righ ear, actually all the way down to my neck, stopped after a while when i got used to it, because the sound is REALLY good!

Found it when i tried carefully bending and feeling around that area, and it was more flexible on the left side, and with closer inspection it actually was a little bump in the metalbar beside that "plug".
Other than that I belive it has insanely good soundquality for the price, also buildquality where the leather ads to that. Can also mention mine was from a jauary batch, and did not come with any glue on the pads, and was made by gibson. I'm also probably going to buy these again! But gonna try some Marshall Monitor's first so i have something to use on the buss too.

May 14, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #10,840 of 15,268
  Does Woox vs. Gibson still an issue or people just overreacting about it now? Someone selling it here locally which was bought aside the country as is it is not locally available. The unit was Gibson manufactured but no Woox label on the headphone.

How was it over Beyerdynamic DT 990 overall? My current IEM is RHA MA750i. I like wide soundstage, bright, decent to great bass, "fun".
My DAP is xDuoo X3, was about to buy an iBasso Bushmaster D14 or Aune B1 however can't justify that I'll be needing one because can't hear a difference yet.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone?

May 18, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #10,841 of 15,268

I have to take back what I said about the sound, there is a channel imbalance, but only in the lower frequencies. I didn't notice it at first because of the music I was testing with, but it became apparent that something was off when listing to songs with more lows. I then moved on to an online tone generator, and it's very evident that below about 50 hertz the right driver starts to drop out.

This leaves me confused about the Woox vs Gibson issue. The box and headband indicate that these are a Woox pair, but they've got the glue on the pegs holding the pads. My impression was that this started with Gibson. QC issues could of course occur either way, but I've also read about the channel imbalance being associated with Gibson, not as much with Woox, but maybe quality has been hit-or-miss all along, and Gibson has just gotten more bad publicity. Or perhaps this pair is originally Woox but refurbished by Gibson? Or maybe some of the Woox started to have the glue even before the switch to Gibson? Again, I'm confused, but these are going back

For the thousandth time, the glue did not start with Gibson. Many Woox pairs had it near the end of 2015, including mine. The Gibson vs. Woox thing is overblown nonsense.

May 18, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #10,842 of 15,268
How does the X2's compare to HD558, Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro and DT 770 pro 250/80/32 ohm
I'm going to use them for 50% gaming and 50% movies / music.

Which one got the biggest soundstage and best positional audio?

And is it only from Amazon that the quality is bad on the X2's? Because if not then I'm not sure I wanna take the chance of buying them.

May 18, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #10,843 of 15,268

For the thousandth time, the glue did not start with Gibson. Many Woox pairs had it near the end of 2015, including mine. The Gibson vs. Woox thing is overblown nonsense.

Yes, I see the truth in that now. The information I had before was definitely incomplete

May 18, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #10,844 of 15,268
My thoughts on X2 vs HD650 vs HD600. 

- X2 smashed both HD600 & HD650 with detail retrieval, bass and soundstage. Comfort was an issue for me with longer listening sessions and part of the reason I didn't keep as a complement headphone.
HD600 are extremely better in vocals being more prominent and comfort was considerably better. 
HD650 I kept my original HD650 which I've had for years which in the end are similar to HD600 but with smoother vocals and a tad less bright. I love the forward vocals which are so smooth and euphoric if that's the right word. The HD800, LCD2, HE500 ALL lacked this!!! Bad vocal sound IMO. Beyerdynamic T1 is the only headphone that I think competes with HD650. I was a hard decision for me because T1 was better detail, clarity, bass with decent vocals. HD650 was better smoother vocal and slightly better comfort - so I kept the cheaper option the HD650. I would love to own both though!

Keep in mind with my preferences, the things I rate mostly are comfort and forward yet smooth vocals. I chose HD650 over HD800, LCD2, HE500, HD600, X2. I think HD650 is best for all genres and everyday hours long listening.

HD600 vs X2
X2 is much better detail, bass, soundstage. HD600 is better vocal and comfort. I would choose HD600 for everyday hours worth of listening. I would choose X2 for casual listening for EDM, my Greek music (has plenty instruments) and any instrumental/bass/detail focused music.

HD650 vs X2

Again, X2 is much better detail, bass, soundstage. HD650 has way better vocal, smoother vocals and the comfort is much better. Audiophiles will definitely prefer HD650, but casual EDM or detail/instrument based music listeners will love the X2 more because of bass, details.

I chose HD650 for sure :)

May 18, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #10,845 of 15,268
How does the X2's compare to HD558, Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro and DT 770 pro 250/80/32 ohm
I'm going to use them for 50% gaming and 50% movies / music.

Which one got the biggest soundstage and best positional audio?

And is it only from Amazon that the quality is bad on the X2's? Because if not then I'm not sure I wanna take the chance of buying them.

If you want the best sound stage/positioning (especially for competitive gaming) go for audio technica ath ad700, akg k702, or senheisser hd800. X2 can not beat those in terms of staging.

If want some fun more immersive experience X2 is good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back