Philips Fidelio X2?!
May 10, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #10,801 of 15,268
I have read somewhere in this thread (sorry it's 721 pages I won't try to search it) by an user that both woox and gibson sounded the same, maybe it's just you that don't like the X2 ?
For some reason, your brain and ears need time to accommodate to the X2, and thus, I won't be surprised that *if* you give it a little more days you might fall in love with it.

I really think 10 minutes isn't enough to try the X2... and I think I won't be the only one telling you that.

I'll tell you a secret : I think I would not even picked the X2 if I had tried it in a store, and this would have be one of the biggest mistake I would have done.
I think since January/February of last year, it's still one of the best purchase I made, and still going strong, and really love it.

This thread also has some people who report getting muddy-sounding X2's, regardless of Woox or Gibson manufacture. I got lucky I guess and got a great sounding one. Did not experience needing to get used to it; sounded great from the start.

May 11, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #10,803 of 15,268
I don't consider my TH-X00 any upgrade to the X2. I like them both - X-2 definitely better with soundstage width

That's good to know, because after having tried multiple higher end cans, I'm still thoroughly satisfied with my X2, and am not going for an 'upgrade' any time soon. Undoubtedly has been my best audio purchase till date. And now the hunt is on to find the source that takes it to its full potential. The Mojo was awesome, for starters. And so is my iBasso D14.

May 11, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #10,804 of 15,268
That's good to know, because after having tried multiple higher end cans, I'm still thoroughly satisfied with my X2, and am not going for an 'upgrade' any time soon. Undoubtedly has been my best audio purchase till date. And now the hunt is on to find the source that takes it to its full potential. The Mojo was awesome, for starters. And so is my iBasso D14.

I don't think, X2 can get much better than it is with Mojo. I also like X2 very much prefer them over HD600, HE400s, NH, M100. Only NH came close with its better bass and more intimate, more engaging sound. But I still prefer the openness and naturalness of X2 compared to NH, especially if you look at the big price difference. My little adventure with NH however showed me the flaws of X2. Yes, bass is very good for an opened can, but it is almost nowhere compared to a higher-end closed can like NH and presumably X00.
The things I liked in NH (already mentioned) I liked very much. But I really disliked the upper mids and treble. It felt like there is a low ceiling above me, not to mention some unusual coloration and the darkest sound I ever heard from a can.
My X00 will be with me in 1 or two days. Can't wait to check it myself, how it compares to X2. Will it be a straight upgrade to X2, as many people say? Will it be just different, as some others say? Will see very soon. :)

May 11, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #10,805 of 15,268
X2 with Cavalli liquid fire sounds awesome. I thought there was some good synergy going on with it and my planar lcd2.2, but when I heard how great the fidelios sounded on it, my audeze stayed on the shelf for months and were ultimately sold. I would say its definitely worthwhile holding onto the philips cans to build a rig around if youre happy with the sound.

Name another bass-heavy open headphone with wide soundstage? HE-X maybe which is what, a grand? Spend that instead on an amp and your ears will thank you later for it.

May 11, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #10,806 of 15,268
X2 with Cavalli liquid fire sounds awesome. I thought there was some good synergy going on with it and my planar lcd2.2, but when I heard how great the fidelios sounded on it, my audeze stayed on the shelf for months and were ultimately sold. I would say its definitely worthwhile holding onto the philips cans to build a rig around if youre happy with the sound.

Name another bass-heavy open headphone with wide soundstage? HE-X maybe which is what, a grand? Spend that instead on an amp and your ears will thank you later for it.

Wow. One more guy let his LCD2.2 gone and keep the Fidelio X2.
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #10,807 of 15,268
  I really think 10 minutes isn't enough to try the X2... and I think I won't be the only one telling you that. have done.

Sorry, let me clarify, it took me all of 10 minutes to unbox it, see all the QC issues and then test the sound... I sold a pair of woox x2s last year (foolishly) before all this gluegate nonsense so I know how they are supposed to sound.

May 13, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #10,808 of 15,268
Last week a buddy of mine bought a pair of X2s and got a pair with the QC issues...The leather under the headband was coming off, glue on the pads, sound imbalance, etc so Amazon sent a 1 day replacement and his second pair was worse than the first. He called them about it and talked to someone who apparently knows of the issue and they agreed to send him a 3rd replacement pair and sadly that that pair wasn't any better. He called them back to schedule a return on all 3 pairs and was questioned on exactly what problems he saw and then they told him that they have seen a huge return rate with QC issues since they started selling them directly on amazon again and it is going back under investigation and they will more than likely go back to only selling them 3rd party.

edit: 1st pair was woox and both others were gibson.

May 13, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #10,809 of 15,268
  Last week a buddy of mine bought a pair of X2s and got a pair with the QC issues...The leather under the headband was coming off, glue on the pads, sound imbalance, etc so Amazon sent him overnight replacement and his second pair was worse than the first. Well he called them and talked to someone who apparently knows of the issue and they agreed to send him a 3rd replacement pair and sadly that that pair wasn't any better. He called them back to schedule a return on all 3 pairs and was questioned on exactly what problems he saw and then they told him that they have seen a huge return rate with QC issues since they started selling them directly on amazon.com again and it is going back under investigation again and they will more than likely go back to only selling them 3rd party.

So thats 5 pairs between you and your buddy? 

lol maybe you ended up getting his returns.  It sounds like the good x2s are now collectors items!

May 13, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #10,810 of 15,268

So thats 5 pairs between you and your buddy? 

lol maybe you ended up getting his returns.  It sounds like the good x2s are now collectors items!

I hope not since they were all bought as new but I've gotten new stuff from Amazon before that was clearly used... Bought a mionix mouse last year and it had fingerprints all over it.

May 13, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #10,812 of 15,268
I took a chance on ordering a used pair from Amazon Warehouse. They have a good return policy so I figured it wasn't much of a risk. The box says Woox actually, but the pads are glued and lettering is a little off on one side. No sound imbalance that I can hear, and they actually sound great to my ears. Of course I never heard the X2's before to compare. Not sure yet if I'll return them and try to procure a good Woox pair somewhere yet

May 13, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #10,814 of 15,268
  I took a chance on ordering a used pair from Amazon. They have a good return policy so I figured it wasn't much of a risk. The box says Woox actually, but the pads are glued and lettering is a little off on one side. No sound imbalance that I can hear, and they actually sound great to my ears. Of course I never heard the Woox-made X2s to compare. Not sure yet if I'll return them and try to procure a Woox pair somewhere yet

How is the leather on the underside of your headband looking?  On both my pairs and all 3 of my buddies, the piece wasn't glued on very well. 

May 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #10,815 of 15,268

How is the leather on the underside of your headband looking?  On both my pairs and all 3 of my buddies, the piece wasn't glued on very well. 

I didn't notice anything off with the headband in my cursory inspection yesterday, but I'll take a look more closely when I get home this evening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back