Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 12, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #10,276 of 15,268
It's not cheap and probably gonna break in like three months because I always wear jeans the straight plug is not appropriate specially when I set. Thanks for the suggestion though. If someone has another suggestion I'm all ears (or eyes in this case :etysmile: )

I just did a basic search on AE but you can phrase what you need exactly......

http://m.aliexpress.com/search.htm?keywords=3.5mm+to+3.5mm+cable+with+mic

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #10,277 of 15,268
What would you say is a fun sounding planar?
I really like X2s, the bass, the fun factor.
However I also liked the more natural presentation and better balance on 400s.
But bass is more important for me so I prefer X2s.
I wish we could mix together the advantages of both the X2s (great bass and fun approach of sound) and 400s (natural, lifelike presentation, overall balance). Is it possible? Which planar would you suggest that have a "fun sound", not the neutral and analytical approach?
LCD2? Aren't they too heavy and loose too much in treble?
PM3 is too neutral and lacks fun.
Ether? HE1000? For sure. But they are out of my budget at the moment.
Any thoughts?

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #10,278 of 15,268
  What would you say is a fun sounding planar?
I really like X2s, the bass, the fun factor.
However I also liked the more natural presentation and better balance on 400s.
But bass is more important for me so I prefer X2s.
I wish we could mix together the advantages of both the X2s (great bass and fun approach of sound) and 400s (natural, lifelike presentation, overall balance). Is it possible? Which planar would you suggest that have a "fun sound", not the neutral and analytical approach?
PM3 is too neutral and lacks fun.
Ether? HE1000? For sure. But they are out of my budget at the moment.
Any thoughts?

You should probably just audition a pair of Planars, i found the HE500 not to my liking after having it for a good 4 months. Dynamics just sound right to me.

Just remember you may not even notice the so called extra 5% gain in quality, is it really worth the extra $1000. These luxury headphones are way over priced. Just because Planars cost more does not necessarily make them better in any way.

Dont you have the TH-X00 on the way..??

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #10,279 of 15,268

You should probably just audition a pair of Planars, i found the HE500 not to my liking after having it for a good 4 months. Dynamics just sound right to me.

Just remember you may not even notice the so called extra 5% gain in quality, is it really worth the extra $1000. These luxury headphones are way over priced. Just because Planars cost more does not necessarily make them better in any way.

Dont you have the TH-X00 on the way..??

Yeah, TH-X00 is on the way. I have high hopes for them.
I also prefer dynamic headphones for now, from the headphones I heard.
But I really liked the clarity of planars.

Edit: Planars I heard are more neutral, more lifelike, more precise. But a bit boring overall. When I listen to music I wanna enjoy every note and X2s give me that joy over any planar I auditioned. Dynamic headphones are just more lively for me. That is why I went for TH-X00s as a next step. But I always wonder about the following steps. If there would be a "fun" planar, I'd definitely give it a try. I prefer X2s for the fun factor over HD600, HE-400s, HE-400i, PM3. But I really like the clarity of 400 series. I couldn't live with a 400s, as they are just too neutral for me. They show what is there, but don't make you engaged and have fun.
 If a combination was available of what I am speaking about, I'd give it a go.
I might gonna be happy with TH-X00s. (Hopefully) But still wondering about LCD2 or HE-560.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #10,280 of 15,268

Yeah, TH-X00 is on the way. I have high hopes for them.
I also prefer dynamic headphones for now, from the headphones I heard.
But I really liked the clarity of planars.

Edit: Planars I heard are more neutral, more lifelike, more precise. But a bit boring overall. When I listen to music I wanna enjoy every note and X2s give me that joy over any planar I auditioned. Dynamic headphones are just more lively for me. That is why I went for TH-X00s as a next step. But I always wonder about the following steps. If there would be a "fun" planar, I'd definitely give it a try. I prefer X2s for the fun factor over HD600, HE-400s, HE-400i, PM3. But I really like the clarity of 400 series. I couldn't live with a 400s, as they are just too neutral for me. They show what is there, but don't make you engaged and have fun.
 If a combination was available of what I am speaking about, I'd give it a go.
I might gonna be happy with TH-X00s. (Hopefully) But still wondering about LCD2 or HE-560.

If you can find an original pair of LCD2's or the Rev.1 give them a shot, they are a bit dark sounding but have great bass response. Have not heard the HE-560 or new LCD2 Fazor so i cannot comment on them. 

You win and lose with all types of headphones its funny how you mention more neutral, life like, boring. There are plenty of dynamic headphones that pull off that exact thing.

Ive been interested in the Alpha Primes for some time but they are still rather expensive. Funny thing is, i have gone backwards in my headphone search. There is a lot more to trial around the $200-$500 mark.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #10,281 of 15,268

If you can find an original pair of LCD2's or the Rev.1 give them a shot, they are a bit dark sounding but have great bass response. Have not heard the HE-560 or new LCD2 Fazor so i cannot comment on them. 

You win and lose with all types of headphones its funny how you mention more neutral, life like, boring. There are plenty of dynamic headphones that pull off that exact thing.

Ive been interested in the Alpha Primes for some time but they are still rather expensive. Funny thing is, i have gone backwards in my headphone search. There is a lot more to trial around the $200-$500 mark.

Yeah, it is indeed a win and loose anything you try in this price range.
I am still after the holy grail, when you loose nothing just win finally. :)

Alpha Primes are also a good option, but I wanna hear TH-X00s first.
HiFiMan Edition X is also pretty tempting. But I should stretch my budget pretty far for them.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #10,282 of 15,268

I have "downgraded" to X2 from LCD-2F, which only wins in a low end department, with better bass texture and control. They were pretty damn great for EDM.

X2 wins with better detail, imaging/soundstage and comfort. Also the last but not least - price

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #10,283 of 15,268

I have "downgraded" to X2 from LCD-2F, which only wins in a low end department, with better bass texture and control. They were pretty damn great for EDM.

X2 wins with better detail, imaging/soundstage and comfort. Also the last but not least - price

From what i read here maybe i will skip those planars and try some Staxs one day (the day i have the money
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #10,285 of 15,268
Guys I found these on Ebay, from the packaging I can tell that it's the Woox version (No yellow high Res on the front of the packaging). I can Bid, the price is very good even If I have to add $100 on the current price but it says that it's new while in the picture it shows the box opened, I'm hesitated because of this. Any quick recommendations? I don't have any experience buying from ebay and I have 3 hours to act.

Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Philips-X2-27-Fidelio-Premium-Headphones-Black-392-99-/191822516330?

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #10,286 of 15,268
After trying out (and sometimes replacing) all kinds of audio gear, I keep coming back to these amazingly versatile cans. They are hands down my favorite pair of headphones, moving seamlessly from my desktop set-up, to the game system where they perform wonderfully, and hooked to my DAP while doing chores. I feel bad for all the people having production issues with their cans. Whoever designed this headphone did something special and I'd hate for its legacy to be that they just stopped making them because of QC issues. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #10,287 of 15,268
Can anyone give me any comparisons between the Sennheiser HD 700 & The X2?

The X2 just doesn't sit that well with me. The bass just isn't what I want it to be without the help of quite a large bass boost (Eq), and the lower mids just get washed away in the rest of the music, so instruments like the cello just don't shine with these. Also, while the X2 are comfortable, they're too damn huge for me! I'm 5'7", and they just feel so loose!

Found an HD700 at a reasonable price, (under $350) so I wonder if it's worth the trade-up?

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #10,288 of 15,268

The X2 just doesn't sit that well with me. The bass just isn't what I want it to be without the help of quite a large bass boost (Eq), and the lower mids just get washed away in the rest of the music, so instruments like the cello just don't shine with these. Also, while the X2 are comfortable, they're too damn huge for me! I'm 5'7", and they just feel so loose!

Found an HD700 at a reasonable price, (under $350) so I wonder if it's worth the trade-up?

The X2 aré bassy, so if you are adding a large bass boost, I'm not surprised you are swamping the lower mids. The HD700 will probably go in the opposite direction from your preferences.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #10,290 of 15,268

I highly doubt you would get better bass from Sennheiser. Or any other open headphone (unless we're talking planar). Also HD700 in particular is quite controversial, to say the least...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back