Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 20, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #9,976 of 15,268
  Gibson on left and Woox on the right.

The rest on the pictures are Gibson pair

This is what my pair are like. Shiny pads. I noticed the shininess when I first opened the box even though I've never seen a pair of X2s before.
As soon as I picked them up I knew they just felt like the real deal. They felt solid and built with quality.
Mines say 'WOOX' on the inside of the band too. I only just found out about the different types of X2s and apparently it seems the consensus is that the WOOX are the better type.

I'm not an experienced headphone enthusiast but I find they have good lows and highs but the mids and soundstage aren't as good.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #9,977 of 15,268
OK, been awhile since I've been back here. Love the bass amount of the X2, but just experimenting with EQ to the mids a bit, I found that the sound was a lot brighter and vocals got a lot more forward. Kind of addresses most of the sound issues I had. Didn't really realize that it was due to the mids being quite recessed. Soundstage overall sounds wider, everything sounds cleaner. Most of that mid-bass low mid muddiness that I heard before is gone. 

Really liking the setup currently. Switching back and forth with the HD600 a heck of a lot more often now.

I have the Fostex TH-X00 coming in may to really get to the next level of "fun" headphone sound.

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #9,978 of 15,268
  OK, been awhile since I've been back here. Love the bass amount of the X2, but just experimenting with EQ to the mids a bit, I found that the sound was a lot brighter and vocals got a lot more forward. Kind of addresses most of the sound issues I had. Didn't really realize that it was due to the mids being quite recessed. Soundstage overall sounds wider, everything sounds cleaner. Most of that mid-bass low mid muddiness that I heard before is gone. 

Really liking the setup currently. Switching back and forth with the HD600 a heck of a lot more often now.

I have the Fostex TH-X00 coming in may to really get to the next level of "fun" headphone sound.

Brada. :)

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #9,979 of 15,268
Absolutely :wink:

Really though, for those thinking these may be a bit V shaped or muddy, try out adding some mids with EQ. I also bumped up the 7000 Hz and dropped down the 10000 Hz a tiny bit based on Tyll's measurements linked below.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX2.pdf

Would love to listen using a Mojo, but not planning on adding it anytime very soon.  

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #9,980 of 15,268
  Absolutely :wink:

Really though, for those thinking these may be a bit V shaped or muddy, try out adding some mids with EQ. I also bumped up the 7000 Hz and dropped down the 10000 Hz a tiny bit based on Tyll's measurements linked below.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX2.pdf

Would love to listen using a Mojo, but not planning on adding it anytime very soon.  

I don't need any EQ-ing with Mojo.
Was sceptical before as with iFi Micro I loved to use XBass on level 1. But Mojo really just gives the perfect amount of bass, mids and highs. I don't know how it does it, but addictive enough to listen hours every day.

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #9,981 of 15,268
It is likely my endgame mobile amp/dac. will be awhile til I get there though. Probably will elevate all my headphones in one go :) 

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #9,982 of 15,268
Man do I love my X2's! Unfortunately, it hurts below my ear and above the end of my jaw after about 2 hrs of use. On a side note, before this I have the HD 439 and a few cheap pairs of earbuds and I can not get back to them. They sound really bad after hearing the X2's. Do you guys have any suggestion for a pair of closed back headphones that sound like the X2 but under $150 bucks?
darthsmile.gif

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #9,983 of 15,268
These have bass but I don't think I'd describe them as V-Shaped at all.  I find the headphone quite balanced overall.  It's only the slightest of emphasis on bass.  Really more warm then bassy even.  

I'd really like to see Philips tackle a 500 dollar flagship type of open headphone building off the X series.  

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #9,984 of 15,268
  Man do I love my X2's! Unfortunately, it hurts below my ear and above the end of my jaw after about 2 hrs of use. On a side note, before this I have the HD 439 and a few cheap pairs of earbuds and I can not get back to them. They sound really bad after hearing the X2's. Do you guys have any suggestion for a pair of closed back headphones that sound like the X2 but under $150 bucks?
darthsmile.gif

You can try to stretch the headband. It is quite adjustable that way.
No closed earphones will satisfy you under $150, if you already heard X2s.
You can get V-moda M100s for that price, which are relatively acceptable for a closed can in that price range but there is a huge compromise on soundstage. They sound claustrophobic after X2s.

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #9,985 of 15,268

Briefly the sound was thin and not enough bass. Not much to enjoy except clarity. Maybe just too neutral for me and the kind of music I listen to. I didn't find it special at all.
With stock pads really meh. HM5 pads are huge improvement, makes it similar to HD600s with a little planar flavor. But in my opinion both the 600s and the 400s are good only with acoustic, vocal and classical music. X2s are much better with everything else. (For me.) I enjoy fun sound when I listen to music, not a neutral presentation. But everyone's miles vary. (As I mentioned this is a genre specific thing and personal preference. I didn't say 400s are bad headphones.)

Thanks. Hope to see the comparison with TH-X00 from you soon.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #9,988 of 15,268
I can't really say with certainty that they're what is typically defined as 'V-shaped' in sound and headphone terms because I'm really not an enthusiast by any stretch. I just find that they seem like the bass and treble seem to come at me or are more forward than the mid-range or vocals.
I find that changing my sound software to 'Hi-Fi' really changes that though and makes music sound more spacious.

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #9,990 of 15,268
hi 
This is my first post : )
I well get x2 soon 
size]

but I use it for movies 90%

I am thinking about sound blaster e5 or Audioengine D1 
What is the best ?

( using optical input for xbox one )

I've thought and I said I do not need Expensive dac/amp for dsd or dxd  . . . . 
I only use it for movies
&
Thank you 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back