Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 13, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #9,871 of 15,268

My original pair from the Amazon sale or the Amazon Warehouse sale do not bleed ink.  I just opened 1 of 2 of my Bass Plus Cushions.  I will leave them overnight on some tissue to see if they bleed.  The Bass Plus Cushions are also blacker in color whereas both original pads are a 1 to 2 shades lighter in color.  The darker color could be a different dye or the Bass Plus Cushions have not cured to the lighter color.

If you just opened them then they probably won't bleed ink. My stock pads and bass plus pads didn't before I used them for a while.  After a few weeks they are bad. It must have to do with your natural skin oils loosening up the ink somehow.  At least this has been my experience.

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #9,872 of 15,268
Looking to get some guidance here as i'm looking for a pair of headphones that are well rounded and suited for all types of use. I've read the X2s are not proficient in any one area but does everything well, which makes them sound like they're what i'm looking for.

First let me give a little background of what I've used in recent history. For a long time i used a pair of plantronics gamecom 780s, a gaming headset that was adequate for the years it lasted, but i knew there was better out there so i started looking into getting my first pair of audiophile grade headphones.

First came the HD558s, huge upgrade, in fact i'd still probably be using them if not for the fact that i couldn't easily attach my V-moda boom pro mic to turn it into a headset essentially. I opened the cans up and did the foam mod on them as well as removed the locking ring mechanism in order to use a made 2.5mm to 3.5mm female adapter to use the mic with but i had an issue of audio cutting out of one cup. It may have been due to a really cheap adapter, but at that point i was fed up with it and decided to find headphones that had a 3.5mm jack to begin with. Mind you i really loved the sound of the 558s for what i threw at it and didnt feel that it was lacking in any area really.

Next came the Phillips SHP9500s which is what i'm currently using. I read all the hype around these and they seemed to fit the bill for what i was looking for. Sure enough these headphones have been amazing, with two quibbles. First is they're clamping force is really weak so it does slide off if you tilt your head forward, but i guess if the clamp was stronger they wouldn't be as comfortable so i can forgive it for that. The other problem i have is i find the bass to be severely lacking especially compared to the 558s and they're not exactly basshead phones either. 

I went ahead and ordered a pair of 598s to do some AB testing, and the 598s to me blow the Phillips away with bass that has good quantity and impact, probably helped by its stronger clamp and better isolation. The X2s have piqued my interest because they're supposed to have very good bass for open headphones while not exactly being basshead, and i'm not looking for crazy bass otherwise i would go for closed backs and i absolutely hate their sound. Between the 598s and SHP9500s i think they both sound great, with the phillips being a bit clearer and brighter, but find the 598s way more fun for listening to music thanks to the added bass.

Would the X2s be a good fit for what i'm looking for? Just from what i've read about them sounds like they're the bees knees when it comes to value and how fun they are to listen to. I'm also curious to know whats the deal with all the reports on Amazon of folks getting seemingly defective X2s with glued pads and poor QC in general? I think i would have ordered them already and just gave them a shot without asking for further encouragement here, but i'm worried about getting a bad pair. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #9,873 of 15,268
My girlfriend and I got into a 'yooooge' fight because I got her the X2s instead of the HD598s. Today, she told me how thrilled she is with her headphones. She's using them much more than she even thought she would.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #9,874 of 15,268
What tubes would you recommend that work well with the x2?

Good question. My top three with the X2's in my sytem is:

1. Siemens 6ak5w
2. Ei 6hm5
3. Voskhod 6zh1p

The combination of the Siemens tubes, MUSES8820 op amp and x2's are just amazing to me and certainly the best I've heard them. The bass is tight and controlled and the mids are pushed forward as a result.

Please note that source and preference also will play a big part when finding the perfect combo.

Right now, I got a Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 sitting my Little-Bear P1. Listening to assorted stoner/doom metal, and the X2 are really singing (well at least what would pass for stoner/doom singing
biggrin.gif
). My ears are happy

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #9,875 of 15,268
Looking to get some guidance here as i'm looking for a pair of headphones that are well rounded and suited for all types of use. I've read the X2s are not proficient in any one area but does everything well, which makes them sound like they're what i'm looking for.

First let me give a little background of what I've used in recent history. For a long time i used a pair of plantronics gamecom 780s, a gaming headset that was adequate for the years it lasted, but i knew there was better out there so i started looking into getting my first pair of audiophile grade headphones.

First came the HD558s, huge upgrade, in fact i'd still probably be using them if not for the fact that i couldn't easily attach my V-moda boom pro mic to turn it into a headset essentially. I opened the cans up and did the foam mod on them as well as removed the locking ring mechanism in order to use a made 2.5mm to 3.5mm female adapter to use the mic with but i had an issue of audio cutting out of one cup. It may have been due to a really cheap adapter, but at that point i was fed up with it and decided to find headphones that had a 3.5mm jack to begin with. Mind you i really loved the sound of the 558s for what i threw at it and didnt feel that it was lacking in any area really.

Next came the Phillips SHP9500s which is what i'm currently using. I read all the hype around these and they seemed to fit the bill for what i was looking for. Sure enough these headphones have been amazing, with two quibbles. First is they're clamping force is really weak so it does slide off if you tilt your head forward, but i guess if the clamp was stronger they wouldn't be as comfortable so i can forgive it for that. The other problem i have is i find the bass to be severely lacking especially compared to the 558s and they're not exactly basshead phones either. 

I went ahead and ordered a pair of 598s to do some AB testing, and the 598s to me blow the Phillips away with bass that has good quantity and impact, probably helped by its stronger clamp and better isolation. The X2s have piqued my interest because they're supposed to have very good bass for open headphones while not exactly being basshead, and i'm not looking for crazy bass otherwise i would go for closed backs and i absolutely hate their sound. Between the 598s and SHP9500s i think they both sound great, with the phillips being a bit clearer and brighter, but find the 598s way more fun for listening to music thanks to the added bass.

Would the X2s be a good fit for what i'm looking for? Just from what i've read about them sounds like they're the bees knees when it comes to value and how fun they are to listen to. I'm also curious to know whats the deal with all the reports on Amazon of folks getting seemingly defective X2s with glued pads and poor QC in general? I think i would have ordered them already and just gave them a shot without asking for further encouragement here, but i'm worried about getting a bad pair. 

Hey,

My upgrade was via a similar path; Philips Citiscape Uptown> Sennheiser HD558> Fidelio X2.

And the X2 should offer pretty much what you're after, in my opinion; fairly tight clamp (although not too tight), good detail and clarity, et al. And, not to mention, the bass impact! Do watch Z reviews on YouTube for opinions on the newer batch issues with ear pads, although there's no manufacturing issues apart from the pads becoming non removable, which, IMO is not a worry at all.

And at anywhere under 300$, they're a great deal anyway.

As for an upgrade from them, I found my friend's Hifiman HE400i through the iCan (ifi audio) desktop amplifier as a slightly better sound than the Fidelios offered from the same amp. But overall, I'd take the Fidelio because like you rightly said, they can be considered an overall great headphone. Regardless of source, genre, recording quality, etc.

Enjoy your purchase, cheers.

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #9,876 of 15,268
Hey,

My upgrade was via a similar path; Philips Citiscape Uptown> Sennheiser HD558> Fidelio X2.

And the X2 should offer pretty much what you're after, in my opinion; fairly tight clamp (although not too tight), good detail and clarity, et al. And, not to mention, the bass impact! Do watch Z reviews on YouTube for opinions on the newer batch issues with ear pads, although there's no manufacturing issues apart from the pads becoming non removable, which, IMO is not a worry at all.

And at anywhere under 300$, they're a great deal anyway.

As for an upgrade from them, I found my friend's Hifiman HE400i through the iCan (ifi audio) desktop amplifier as a slightly better sound than the Fidelios offered from the same amp. But overall, I'd take the Fidelio because like you rightly said, they can be considered an overall great headphone. Regardless of source, genre, recording quality, etc.

Enjoy your purchase, cheers.

Thanks, i'm gonna pick a new pair off ebay that looks to be one of the older ones made that doesnt have that hi res audio sticker on the box so probably has the non glued pads either :) 

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #9,877 of 15,268
Thanks, i'm gonna pick a new pair off ebay that looks to be one of the older ones made that doesnt have that hi res audio sticker on the box so probably has the non glued pads either :) 

Well, mine are the older model but I do indeed have the Hi Res audio sticker. I think you need to be wary of the box which doesn't have that sticker, and do check for authenticity, because Philips for one should be proudly displaying that sticker if they get that status. If it is indeed an original, you'll definitely have nothing to complain about.

Cheers

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #9,878 of 15,268
Sure enough these headphones have been amazing, with two quibbles. First is they're clamping force is really weak so it does slide off if you tilt your head forward, but i guess if the clamp was stronger they wouldn't be as comfortable so i can forgive it for that. The other problem i have is i find the bass to be severely lacking especially compared to the 558s and they're not exactly basshead phones either. 

I'm also curious to know whats the deal with all the reports on Amazon of folks getting seemingly defective X2s with glued pads and poor QC in general? 

I find the clamping force of the X2's rather light. They won't fall off when i tilt forward, but you notice very well that you are carrying a big hefty headphone on your head. Clamping force can be adjusted a bit by stretching the headband though.

Bass, need  i to say more? Just read around......... Very satisfying for me. Not a basshead myself (i think) but i do like my bass te be THERE.

Quality: Owning a jan 2015 - Woox pair, i dunno what the fuzz is about. It seems to me the issues are exaggerated (of course there have been some really faulty units, but that is what warranty is for). For this price you may expect product of good quality and if not, you can return it, because then it is faulty and returning it wont be a problem. For the 'cosmetic/ glue-ic' issues: you might not even have noticed them if you hadnt read about them. I never noticed it, but also on my X2, the silver ring is peeping out ever so slightly. Never noticed it, until i read about it and started checking. Hasn't stopped me one bit from enjoying these great cans. 
For the X2, i think you cant go wrong, great cans, great bass, great sound, premium look and feel. Very happy with them. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #9,879 of 15,268
Okie dokie, I'm unsubscribing from this thread.  If anyone has any questions about posts I've made (in particular how to apply the HM5 pads or general OCD information about the X2) shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to reply directly.

I'd like to remind everyone that the Fidelio X2 is a TOTL headphone.  You may disagree, but it's the most expensive and prestigious headphone that Philips produce and they take great care in telling us what a precision made instrument it is.  If you accept anything less than a flawless headphone, you're doing yourself a great disservice.

o/~~

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #9,880 of 15,268

UPDATE:  
The bass plus pads DO bleed ink... just as bad as my stock pads! I stand by my first impressions that they are just stock pads with added "special edition bass plus cushion" text even though they sound identical.  What a bummer. I love these headphones but I hate having to be so careful not to get ink stains on anything I set them on.

Anyone have any suggestions for replacement pads that won't leak ink all over the place?  Those HM5 pads looked like a good option.

super bummer.

some things never change.

same ink problems for me since X1.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #9,881 of 15,268
Hi guys.....i recently bought philips fidelio x2 during Amazon deal....these are the best headphones i ever had chance to listen.......the bass and sound stage is simply amazing on these headphones........Which amp you guys would recommend most with this headphone as i am currently using laptop amp and dac with them....

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #9,882 of 15,268
  Hi guys.....i recently bought philips fidelio x2 during Amazon deal....these are the best headphones i ever had chance to listen.......the bass and sound stage is simply amazing on these headphones........Which amp you guys would recommend most with this headphone as i am currently using laptop amp and dac with them....

Schiit Modi/Magni combo would be good. I'm using them with Asgard 2 and it's awesome on low gain.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #9,885 of 15,268
  thanks for recommending this setup.....i would definitely look into this combo......Asgard 2 is expensive though.....Is it worth to spend that much on amp?.....i mean x2 has low impedance

Depends on your budget. For me it was worth it (I used to have much more expensive cans before X2), but Modi/Magni would be the best value anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back