Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 10, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #9,856 of 15,268

The HD598 has a larger and more spacious soundstage than the 600 or 650.  I see you have the HD558 which should be comparable in size to the 598.  I hear the soundstage as larger on the 598 than on the X2.

Funny how we each hear different things with the same HP's.  I just did a quick A/B of the X2's and HD598's with some Norah Jones, Faith Hill, Jewel, and Corinne Bailey Rae.  Soundstage is definitely better on the 598 vs X2 across the board, but the richer mid's on the X2 made Norah and Faith sound better to my ears overall.  If you could combine the soundstage and clarity of the 598 with the otherwise fine mid/bass of the X2, that would be my personal holy-grail of HP's.  Suggestions on HP's fitting that bill greatly appreciated! :)

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #9,857 of 15,268

Funny how we each hear different things with the same HP's.  I just did a quick A/B of the X2's and HD598's with some Norah Jones, Faith Hill, Jewel, and Corinne Bailey Rae.  Soundstage is definitely better on the 598 vs X2 across the board, but the richer mid's on the X2 made Norah and Faith sound better to my ears overall.  If you could combine the soundstage and clarity of the 598 with the otherwise fine mid/bass of the X2, that would be my personal holy-grail of HP's.  Suggestions on HP's fitting that bill greatly appreciated! :)

Is richer another way of saying warmer?  I hear the mids as warmer, but I guess it could also be described as richer.  I think we have about the same assessment.

I have some HD700 incoming which I believe combine (and improve upon) the soundstage and clairty of the 598.  The mids are different from the X2 though, they're not as rich (more forward, clear) and the bass is different but better quality and much faster.  I personally don't know of a headphone that combines the low-end of the X2 with the soundstage and clarity of the 598.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #9,859 of 15,268
  Yes, by "rich" I generally mean "warmer", or "fuller".  Post your impressions of the HD700's.  I'm curious to hear what you think. (or is that 'think what you hear'?) :)

Will do.  Should be here tomorrow or Friday.  Already auditioned them twice in a store so pretty sure what to expect but I'll do a direct comparison to the X2 at the weekend.

BTW.. 15 posts in 12 years? and 2 of them in a conversation with me.. I feel honoured. 
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #9,860 of 15,268
It took a month of listening to these things, but I finally like them.  Longest burn-in I've ever seen on a pair of headphones.  After 2 weeks, the highs stopped cracking quite as much.  After 3 weeks, the bass seems to have relaxed quite a bit.  Now almost 5 weeks in, the highs are sounding a lot smoother and the soundstage has opened up and sounds less stereo and more 3D.  The awful fatigue has faded substantially and I'm actually finally enjoying the sound.  All I have to say is that if you don't like these at first, give them a LOT of time for the diaphragm to relax a bit and for your ears to adjust a bit.  Really, the only flaw on these, a month later, are that vocals aren't as crisp as I'm used to.  I'd definitely look elsewhere if vocalists (especially female vocalists) are your thing, but they're solid for rock and hip hop.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #9,861 of 15,268
  I'd definitely look elsewhere if vocalists (especially female vocalists) are your thing

I'll probably be looking to get HD600 again for that when they're on sale. But X2 is not going anywhere.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #9,862 of 15,268

I'll probably be looking to get HD600 again for that when they're on sale. But X2 is not going anywhere.

I agree.  These turned out not being the headphones I was looking for, as I was looking for everyday headphones and they don't have the sound profile I thought they would, but they've definitely (slowly) turned into keepers.  They're not going anywhere and they're actually really enjoyable depending on what I feel like listening to, but they don't really favor acoustic, 80s college rock, power pop, etc. (a large portion of what I listen to).  But the genres they do favor, they favor nicely.  

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #9,864 of 15,268
This will never happen because Philips has begun divesting its AV businesses in order to focus on lighting and medical equipment. This was why it sold Woox to Gibson. However Philips has allowed Gibson to use the Philips Trademark on its manufactured products for the next 7 years- presumably to shed excess stock or allow Gibson to make the transition from Philips to its own brand. 

Assuming the plant and machinery used by Woox is retained by Gibson inspite of the acquisition, we shouldn't experience quality issues with further bathes of the X2. 

As for an X3- this will never happen- we could expect a successor to the X2- but definitely not under the Philips Fidelio brand. 

Hoping for the best. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #9,865 of 15,268
  It took a month of listening to these things, but I finally like them.  Longest burn-in I've ever seen on a pair of headphones.  After 2 weeks, the highs stopped cracking quite as much.  After 3 weeks, the bass seems to have relaxed quite a bit.  Now almost 5 weeks in, the highs are sounding a lot smoother and the soundstage has opened up and sounds less stereo and more 3D.  The awful fatigue has faded substantially and I'm actually finally enjoying the sound.  All I have to say is that if you don't like these at first, give them a LOT of time for the diaphragm to relax a bit and for your ears to adjust a bit.  Really, the only flaw on these, a month later, are that vocals aren't as crisp as I'm used to.  I'd definitely look elsewhere if vocalists (especially female vocalists) are your thing, but they're solid for rock and hip hop.

How about the HE-400i? Have you guys tried that one as well?

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #9,866 of 15,268
How about the HE-400i? Have you guys tried that one as well?

Ive briefly auditioned them and wasn't at all impressed. I think the oppo pm3s are better. If you can get your hands on a pair of HE500s and properly amp them they have sufficient bass for a modest basshead and really good mids. They're much more linear than the x2s tho.

But yeah if you want buttery smooth mids from top to bottom, the HD600s and HD650s cant really be beaten at their price.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #9,868 of 15,268
  I bought the Bass Plus replacement pads:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bass-Plus-Velvet-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-Philips-Fidelio-X2-Headphones-/261967950938
and the wool headband cushion:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Knit-Pure-Wool-Headband-Cushion-For-Philips-Fidelio-X1-X2-HiFi-Headphones-/251815707193
Took more than a month to finally be delivered. Anyways...  

First impressions, the bass plus pads seem identical to the stock pads.  The build, sound, everything seems exactly the same. The only difference, of course, is the "special edition bass plus cushion" text. Based on no evidence at all... I feel like these are extras made in the same factory and only able to be sold with the added text so they can't be marketed as the original stock pads. Again, that is pure speculation, but they really seem identical.  What remains to be seen for me is if they bleed ink like my original pads did.  Even after several washes they would leave marks on my desk when I set them down.

The wool headband is pretty neat, I guess. I got the black one.  It snaps on easily and looks and feels nice. It wasn't something I really needed because the headband is comfortable enough as is, but it is nice to be able to take it off to wash it if I need or something.  Honestly, I bought it mostly for the looks. It kind of fills in the empty space above the headband and below the leather top of the headphones pretty nicely.

I'll update if the bass plus pads bleed or not, or if anything else comes up.

UPDATE:  
The bass plus pads DO bleed ink... just as bad as my stock pads! I stand by my first impressions that they are just stock pads with added "special edition bass plus cushion" text even though they sound identical.  What a bummer. I love these headphones but I hate having to be so careful not to get ink stains on anything I set them on.

Anyone have any suggestions for replacement pads that won't leak ink all over the place?  Those HM5 pads looked like a good option.

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #9,869 of 15,268

UPDATE:  
The bass plus pads DO bleed ink... just as bad as my stock pads! I stand by my first impressions that they are just stock pads with added "special edition bass plus cushion" text even though they sound identical.  What a bummer. I love these headphones but I hate having to be so careful not to get ink stains on anything I set them on.

Anyone have any suggestions for replacement pads that won't leak ink all over the place?  Those HM5 pads looked like a good option.

My original pair from the Amazon sale or the Amazon Warehouse sale do not bleed ink.  I just opened 1 of 2 of my Bass Plus Cushions.  I will leave them overnight on some tissue to see if they bleed.  The Bass Plus Cushions are also blacker in color whereas both original pads are a 1 to 2 shades lighter in color.  The darker color could be a different dye or the Bass Plus Cushions have not cured to the lighter color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back