Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 28, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #9,676 of 15,268
Got my Amazon UK order today finally, but it's weird the first thing I noticed before opening the box was that the serial number was identical to the first pair I ever ordered except for the last digit was 2 larger, so im assuming it's the same batch (first pair was from a random 3rd party site in early december). It's weird because the amazon stock was on backorder and they told me they were getting stock directly from Phillips, this stock seems to be older than my two really bad pairs from Amazon last month. Sound seems to be fine, but slight metal band issue, glued pads :frowning2: People are reporting getting unglued pairs from Amazon maybe i'm just v unlucky :p

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #9,677 of 15,268
Got my Amazon UK order today finally, but it's weird the first thing I noticed before opening the box was that the serial number was identical to the first pair I ever ordered except for the last digit was 2 larger, so im assuming it's the same batch (first pair was from a random 3rd party site in early december). It's weird because the amazon stock was on backorder and they told me they were getting stock directly from Phillips, this stock seems to be older than my two really bad pairs from Amazon last month. Sound seems to be fine, but slight metal band issue, glued pads :frowning2: People are reporting getting unglued pairs from Amazon maybe i'm just v unlucky :p

Damn, that is unlucky. Are they Gibson? I remember reading someone that if it has "X2/00" on the bottom of the box, that means it's likely an unaffected pair.

The good thing with Amazon is their customer service is absolutely fantastic, so while it must be rather annoying, at least you're in a position to send them back and have them send you another pair.

If I were you, I'd drop them an email and say you're really not happy, explain how this is now your third pair and you still have all of these issues. When I received an unsealed/used pair of 598's when I'd ordered a new pair, they knocked 20% off the price of them - when I returned the 598's I asked if the 20% discount could be applied to the X2's and they were more than happy to do that for me. Drop them an email, see what they say! :)

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #9,678 of 15,268
I've seen some talk of the peeling aluminium rings; I personally can't see anything, and if it is there it'd be a bit of a shame but it wouldn't really bother me too much, as everything else is perfect - but to those who know what to look for, can you see such an issue below? Or have I not taken very good pictures to show it? Many thanks.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #9,679 of 15,268
Damn, that is unlucky. Are they Gibson? I remember reading someone that if it has "X2/00" on the bottom of the box, that means it's likely an unaffected pair.

The good thing with Amazon is their customer service is absolutely fantastic, so while it must be rather annoying, at least you're in a position to send them back and have them send you another pair.

If I were you, I'd drop them an email and say you're really not happy, explain how this is now your third pair and you still have all of these issues. When I received an unsealed/used pair of 598's when I'd ordered a new pair, they knocked 20% off the price of them - when I returned the 598's I asked if the 20% discount could be applied to the X2's and they were more than happy to do that for me. Drop them an email, see what they say!
smily_headphones1.gif

All 4 pairs i've ever owned have been Gibson. Yeah that's true, it's just annoying that they investigated, told me 100% that everything is sorted and i'm still having issues, not just with the glue but even with metal banding.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #9,680 of 15,268

If I were you, I'd drop them an email and say you're really not happy, explain how this is now your third pair and you still have all of these issues. When I received an unsealed/used pair of 598's when I'd ordered a new pair, they knocked 20% off the price of them - when I returned the 598's I asked if the 20% discount could be applied to the X2's and they were more than happy to do that for me. Drop them an email, see what they say!
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't have a source but if I recall "X2/00" and "X2/27" denote american/european and other markets.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #9,681 of 15,268
I've seen some talk of the peeling aluminium rings; I personally can't see anything, and if it is there it'd be a bit of a shame but it wouldn't really bother me too much, as everything else is perfect - but to those who know what to look for, can you see such an issue below? Or have I not taken very good pictures to show it? Many thanks.

Looks good to me. Congrats, enjoy them!

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #9,682 of 15,268
@Cesarlo Looks good from the pictures you took, but it's most obvious when you have a 'head-on' shot of both cups like this one.

@lhayati I very much doubt even after gluegate that the metal trim issue will be fixed.  It's been around since day one and they would have to make more serious production changes than "HEY STOP GLUING THEM FOO'!".

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #9,683 of 15,268
  @Cesarlo Looks good from the pictures you took, but it's most obvious when you have a 'head-on' shot of both cups like this one.

@lhayati I very much doubt even after gluegate that the metal trim issue will be fixed.  It's been around since day one and they would have to make more serious production changes than "HEY STOP GLUING THEM FOO'!".

Just got off the phone with amazon and they said they'd been getting numerous complaints recently and since this is the 3rd i've had with an issue, they've decided to just stop selling them completely until it's sorted since they've already been under investigation. They even gave me £5 credit for helping them out haha. Just confused how some people have seemed to be bypassing gluegate. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #9,684 of 15,268

Sure, you are right. It is quite unacceptable on a unit like X2. But still, takes maybe 5% off from overall X2 experience. And nothing from the amazing sound. I am in love with X2 sound from Mojo at the moment. :) Regardless my metal ring is not fit perfectly. (0.3 mm gap.)

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #9,685 of 15,268
  Sure, you are right. It is quite unacceptable on a unit like X2. But still, takes maybe 5% off from overall X2 experience. And nothing from the amazing sound. I am in love with X2 sound from Mojo at the moment. :) Regardless my metal ring is not fit perfectly. (0.3 mm gap.)

I wish I could have that attitude lol. With me if there's the opportunity for perfection I have to go for it and I can't settle, even if it is just 5% 

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #9,686 of 15,268

Yes, absolutely agree.  It's a minor issue but I used it to highlight the misnomer that anything that came before Gibson was flawless.  There were issues before the recent fiasco is what I was trying to say.

I hide my aluminium rings under the HM5 pads.  Out of sight, out of mind. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #9,687 of 15,268
@Cesarlo
Looks good from the pictures you took, but it's most obvious when you have a 'head-on' shot of both cups like this one.

Ah, I see. I was looking through bestula's pictures and for the life of me couldn't spot any peeling issues; that's what got me all curious, as I wondered if I wasn't looking correctly.

Just took a more 'head-on' shot...

Either way, I'm so happy I swapped the 598's for these. I'm absolutely in love with them. I've owned them for a little under a week and I'm still amazed every time I put them on as to how comfortable they are; that elastic headband is a dream. And I don't think I've ever listened to so much music in one week in my entire life. It's kind of sad I know, but sometimes I'll just look at them and admire them for a bit; they're so good looking! :D

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #9,688 of 15,268
  I wish I could have that attitude lol. With me if there's the opportunity for perfection I have to go for it and I can't settle, even if it is just 5% 

I was reluctant to advertise it but I received a 20% partial refund from Amazon - kept my glued WOOX pair and returned the glued Gibsons, even though these two pairs sounded the same.  It certainly softened the impact of receiving a 95% perfect pair.

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #9,689 of 15,268
Just got off the phone with amazon and they said they'd been getting numerous complaints recently and since this is the 3rd i've had with an issue, they've decided to just stop selling them completely until it's sorted since they've already been under investigation. They even gave me £5 credit for helping them out haha. Just confused how some people have seemed to be bypassing gluegate. 

You should have emailed them, well you could still email them actually, as I've found them to be a lot more generous than those on the phone. Like I said I was offered 20% off straight away without kicking up too much of a fuss.

And I really do think it's potluck. I don't think those who work for Amazon have a clue about the issues currently plaguing the X2's. I think all you can do is keep on ordering and returning until you receive a pair that you're happy with.

I hide my aluminium rings under the HM5 pads.  Out of sight, out of mind.  :tongue_smile:

Which HM5 pads do you have? I understand they can be a bit of a pain to get in and a fair bit of patience is needed, but I am tempted to give them a go out of curiosity. I do love the stock X2 earpads, a lot better than what I was expecting, ridiculously comfy too, but they love to pick up fluff and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back