Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 23, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #9,586 of 15,268
  All the European Amazon sites i've noticed seem to share the same stock, all said 1 left and now they all say backordered. So I might place an order now since amazon are doing a £10 off promotion today and since they'd be receiving new stock from Phillips i'd assume. No idea if it would be glueless but fingers crossed! 

Some of the sites have them back in stock already.  I'd wager you won't get an unglued pair yet, but hope you can prove me wrong.

Loving the X2 for watching movies.  The HM5 pads + foam mod makes them very comfortable for longer wearing.  Unfortunately, they didn't improve the storyline in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #9,588 of 15,268
I have the x2, m50x,m40x, hd 598, sony mdr v6 . What's your guys/girls suggestions of headphones to add to my collection. I like all types of music from metal to classical. The headphones on my radar from the cheapest to the most expensive are the dt880, hd600, hd 650, he500 or he560. Personally I have not tried any of those before.
Im loving my x2 right now, hd598 2nd.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #9,590 of 15,268
I have the x2, m50x,m40x, hd 598, sony mdr v6 . What's your guys/girls suggestions of headphones to add to my collection. I like all types of music from metal to classical. The headphones on my radar from the cheapest to the most expensive are the dt880, hd600, hd 650, he500 or he560. Personally I have not tried any of those before.

Theres something about Planars that sounds un natural to me. So if you can trial a pair, listen to the HE500s. I had a pair but went back to Dynamics and currently have X2s. They do quite alot right for such a good price, pair them with a good source and they will make your ears tickle. :)

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #9,592 of 15,268

On my wishlist is a Hifiman. Very interested to know what a planar magnetic sounds like. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #9,593 of 15,268

Buy a Chord Mojo instead a new pair of headphones and enjoy your X2. It will be a much bigger jump in sound quality. All the headphones you mention are side grades. Different taste, different preference. You might gonna like some, you might not. But if you already enjoy your X2, than Mojo will lift it to another level. This is what I did, and no regrets so far. :)

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #9,594 of 15,268
  Buy a Chord Mojo instead a new pair of headphones and enjoy your X2. It will be a much bigger jump in sound quality. All the headphones you mention are side grades. Different taste, different preference. You might gonna like some, you might not. But if you already enjoy your X2, than Mojo will lift it to another level. This is what I did, and no regrets so far. :)

Curious to know if you think my chain is good enough to hear the X2 the way they were intended

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #9,595 of 15,268

I have both the HE-560 and the X2. I wanted a fun and warmish headphone with great bass to complement my HE-560. To my ears it's a headphone with a sound profile where the treble, mids and bass are perfectly balanced, with a large soundstage and excellent detail retrieval. However you do need a decent amp and DAC for it. The LH Labs GO V2 is pretty great and drives it with authority. The iBasso D42 is also a good choice. The Yulong A18 amp is the best amp i have ever heard with the HE560s. If you're getting the HE-560, try to get an A18 used in good condition. Eargasms await!

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #9,596 of 15,268

Curious to know if you think my chain is good enough to hear the X2 the way they were intended

In my opinion Mojo sounds better with X2 than Modi/Magni. And I am not alone with this opinion, just look around in Mojo thread.
I think, from Magni/Modi X2 do sound "the way they were intended". But there is always more and higher and better. :)

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #9,597 of 15,268
Mojo is all the hype nowadays, it's recognized as the best sounding DAC on budget of 2015 (Still $500+ though... ughh...)
I kinda agree that rather side-grading on mid-fi better to just upgrade to hi or even summit

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #9,598 of 15,268
  In my opinion Mojo sounds better with X2 than Modi/Magni. And I am not alone with this opinion, just look around in Mojo thread.
I think, from Magni/Modi X2 do sound "the way they were intended". But there is always more and higher and better. :)

I'm actually curious to hear the X2 with a tube amp.  That's my next amp direction, as I know it will be good with my HD600 anyways.  

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #9,599 of 15,268
Hi everyone,

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed to this comments and advice and have been a great help to me and I couldn't be happier with my X2's! :)

I'm rather new to this world, as you'll likely be able to tell if you read my post, as I'm not very good at describing the sound like some of you. I initially bought the Sennheiser HD598's, and while I liked them a lot, very much so, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I spent a lot of time researching, and I think in that time they were a little too hyped up in my mind. The highs, to me, were incredibly harsh - quite painful actually. I felt like I needed to lower the volume due to that, but then I felt like I was missing out elsewhere...

I then discovered the Fidelio X2's and based on what people were saying about them they sounded absolutely perfect for me, as games, movies and music (in that order) are my main uses for them. I took a bit of a gamble and ordered them from Amazon; I say gamble due to the recent QC issues.

Thankfully, and very luckily it seems, I appear to have absolutely no issues at all with them. They're Woox (both on the box and the headphone), the ear pads aren't glued, there are no defects on the band or metal trim, and I left them on a piece of white paper and left them with music playing for a couple of hours and no sign of any dye.

I also ordered the Anker nylon cable in red; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00R15B5TM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2PGPJL0BBLHLX

Was this a good choice? I haven't really seen it mentioned much here, however the reviews on Amazon were fantastic and I'm a big fan of Anker and their products.

As for the most important factor; the sound of the X2's. Wow. That's all I can say. It's such a fun headphone; the crisp detail in the lows and mids is absolutely phenomenal. The soundstage is amazing. The highs aren't harsh at all. The bass is beautiful, a little booming, I can feel it, but it's never too much. To me they sound incredible, and a big improvement on the 598's.

I was able to do a direct comparison, as I haven't sent the 598's back yet, and the X2's are a lot more detailed and the bass is such a welcomed addition, something that was seriously lacking on the 598's. Also, it's amazing how the 598's feel a lot less comfortable now that I've worn the X'2. I know the 598's are known for their comfort, but honestly the X2's are a LOT more comfortable to me. Likely because I have a fairly big head, which helps, but the band of the 598's feels like it's digging into my head a little now, whereas the X2's are just ridiculously comfortable; it's like having amazing speaker slippers on my head.

Again, many thanks to everyone who's posted in this thread and I hope to stick around and try and return the favour to help others in their quest for this beautifully constructed and even more beautifully sounding headphone.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #9,600 of 15,268
  I'm actually curious to hear the X2 with a tube amp.  That's my next amp direction, as I know it will be good with my HD600 anyways.  

It will be. If you like your HD600, give them a good tube amp they deserve it. If you like your X2, give them Mojo. Good, if you can afford both. If you can't, chose according to your preference between X2 and HD600, and upgrade the one you like more. I haven't tried X2 from tube amp, but I am not sure, if that is a very good idea. Tubes usually have better synergy with higher impedance headphones and they usually sound warm, which is not always good with already warm sounding cans.

Mojo is all the hype nowadays, it's recognized as the best sounding DAC on budget of 2015 (Still $500+ though... ughh...)
I kinda agree that rather side-grading on mid-fi better to just upgrade to hi or even summit

I was also very skeptic about this Mojo hype. I am skeptic with hypes in general. But it does live up to the hype, I have to say. Truly amazing and engaging sound. Not much different to the Hugo's, which is a $1400 DAC. People say, it is very challenging to find anything better under $1000. 
I don't want to advertise Mojo, but I am impressed. If something is good, it is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back