Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 10, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #9,183 of 15,268
Might just return them and buy a different pair of headphones then :/ Dont wanna play the lottery again im afraid. Plus i think they are out of stock where i bought them :/ What headphone do you guys think i should get for gaming (The Witcher, CoD, Battlefield etc). And listening to electronic music, game soundtracks and some rock and pop music? And it should be around 200$ (Live in sweden btw).

I still really like my M50's (in some songs more than my X2's) once my ears gets used to the sound again (I need a little mental "burn-in" when I switch from the X2's to my M50's or the other way around) but I'm not sure if I would recommend them because I know there's lots of other headphones out there in that price range too that I haven't heard.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #9,184 of 15,268
  I still really like my M50's (in some songs more than my X2's) once my ears gets used to the sound again (I need a little mental "burn-in" when I switch from the X2's to my M50's or the other way around) but I'm not sure if I would recommend them because I know there's lots of other headphones out there in that price range too that I haven't heard.

The M50's are good. However, I would say X2 beat them in all aspects. M50's sound closed-in, has a slightly V-shaped sound-signature with a bass that slightly intrudes the midrange (IMO). The biggest difference is probably soundstage and the fact that the the X2's sound much more clearer with a more transparant and detailed midrange. Detail-resolving and instrument-seperation is much better on the X2 imo. Also the bass is better controlled on the X2.

When I switched from M50x to MSR7 I was impressed of how many details in my favorite songs I didn't really notice before.

I do however get, why some people needs to get used to vocals and other stuff feeling somewhat more distant in headphones with large soundstage vs. closed-in-vocals-right-in-your-head headphones like the M50x. The vocals are actually more present in terms of raw volume in the X2 vs. the M50x, but the M50X delivers them in a more in-your-face manner where the X2's delivers the vocals in a large soundscape.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #9,185 of 15,268
Yes. To be clear, the X2's beats the M50's on most things. I just wish it was less bass/midbass heavy in comparison with the M50's. In some songs I would like more high mids, which to me are more pronounced on the M50's (even though it's not really natural sounding).

But the soundstage, naturalness of the sound and many other things are better on the X2's. The X2's has better sound quality overall.
I do however get, why some people needs to get used to vocals and other stuff feeling somewhat more distant in headphones with large soundstage vs. closed-in-vocals-right-in-your-head headphones like the M50x. The vocals are actually more present in terms of raw volume in the X2 vs. the M50x, but the M50X delivers them in a more in-your-face manner where the X2's delivers the vocals in a large soundscape.

Yes!! It was a big mental "burn in" for me. I like when the vocals are up front and that more in-your-face sound.

I actually like the small, congested soundstage of the M50's once I get mentally "burned in" to that sound (lol). But the larger soundstage is more natural, and everything else sounds more natural too in the X2's, it's the better headphone of the two.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #9,187 of 15,268
  Absolutely not normal, but not uncommon either.  In my experience with 3 different pairs, the pads are the main culprit for affecting imbalance in the sound aswell as comfort.  You'll find you can also swap the pads around between pairs to change both of these things. (also @Pandaclocker)

If you can't live with the discomfort, return them and get another pair.

The last pair I got from Amazon also has weird left pad. And I think (I think) that it sounds different to my 3rd party pair (something odd in the midrange). Not sure about imbalance though.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #9,188 of 15,268
The M50's are good. However, I would say X2 beat them in all aspects. M50's sound closed-in, has a slightly V-shaped sound-signature with a bass that slightly intrudes the midrange (IMO). The biggest difference is probably soundstage and the fact that the the X2's sound much more clearer with a more transparant and detailed midrange. Detail-resolving and instrument-seperation is much better on the X2 imo. Also the bass is better controlled on the X2.

As an owner of both X2 and M50x - agree with everything above.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #9,191 of 15,268
Me too, except that bass is better controlled. I find the X2 having more emphasized bass and midbass.

I like the bass on either can, but the fact that it's at least equally as good on an open can is a nice feat.

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #9,193 of 15,268
For those who want in ears that is similar to x2 but better. Give trinity delta a try.

I have my Trinity Atlas (next step up from delta) in right now. Really love them, but wouldn't call them an X2 IEM. Midrange is pretty scooped in comparison (and I mean no offense to Trinity, they rock for an IEM.)

Someday I hope to have an equivalent. Maybe when they release their phantom series.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #9,194 of 15,268
As follow-up to check my own impressions and listening bias (and not picking on any individual poster here or on Adele as an artist, who I like), I went back and measured and checked on-line the dynamic range of Adele's albums in CD format. Keep in mind, bad is 1-7, transitional is 8-13, good is 14-20:  Measured:  19: 8, 21: 7, 25: 6 and On-Line (http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=adele): 19: 8, 21: 6, 25: 5. These are extremely poor (terrible actually) especially for a major vocalist with plenty of production money at her disposal.

As a comparison, some of the worst offenders in the loudness wars Oasis 'What's the Story Morning Glory': 5-6 and Red Hot Chili Peppers 'Californication: 4. Not too much different than Adele (who is really a vocalist while Oasis and Red Hot Chili Peppers are rock bands...I guess you can argue they are supposed to be loud). In comparison, here are good ones Supertramp CotC: 13 (CD)-16 (MFSL CD) and Shelby Lynne: 13.

What does this have to do with evaluating headphones. specifically the X2s? Compressed loud recordings can never sound 'good' on a good headphone because the compression of the music, the harmonics, and the vocals will all be unnaturally squeezed (not faithful to the actual performance as performed and as originally recorded before all the processing). However, a compressed performance will seem to sound 'okay' with ear buds or poor earphones because they just reproduce the smear or sum of the music, containing little or no instrument separation. no distinct vocals in front of music, etc. So, my recommendation is to use well recorded music to evaluate the X2s. That includes using good sound output from your source or adding a good DAC. 

The database is here: http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Explanations are here:  http://dynamicrangeday.co.uk/about/ and here: https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep11/articles/loudness.htm

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #9,195 of 15,268
If i want to check for inbalance in my Fidelio X2's which is the best way to do that, is there any specific track i can listen to? And, i am not really an audiophile btw. I am just getting into this game and have not much experience :p But it seems like a very nice hobby. 

And another question, if i were to return my X2's and get the Sennheiser HD598 how would those compare to the X2's seeing as those are also open and i have had nothing but good experiences when it comes to Sennheiser headphones. I only really bought the X2's because they seemed to hit every checkbox i wanted in my headphones :p (Never used Philips Headphones before).

And what is the differences between the HD598's and the HD598 Special Edition? (other than the colours)

I am new to this forum but am already loving the community. Just wished i would have researched the X2's a bit more before buying and not just reading about all the praise :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back