Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 9, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #9,151 of 15,268
I compared my X2 and LZ-A2 again and the X2 are definitely better.  I think the issue I was having is that for some Youtube songs on my Nexus 6, I couldn't get the volume as loud as I wanted on the X2, so that made the LZ-A2 APPEAR to be better.

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #9,152 of 15,268
  Also, to everyone owning a X2, please go and listen to the album 'Nothing Is Real' by The Flashbulb. Just an absolutely amazing experience. Fantastic introspective/emotional ambient/chill-down electronic album with great use of instruments and space. Very creative stuff.

Not bad. If you like this kind of music, you might want to give a try to the following artists as well: Solar Fields, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Liquid Soul, Ott, Vibrasphere. They have got some 'weaker' tracks, but most of their music is awesome. (You just need an X2 level headphone to hear their music as it was intended to sound.)

Also, just for the record I have got an older 'Woox' version X2, with no issues at all. Brilliant headphones. And in most cases better then HD650. :)

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #9,153 of 15,268
I'm really trying to love this headphone.  Some songs sound absolutely amazing through them; however, others don't sound so hot.  One in particular is Adele's "Hello," which sounds pretty distorted and muddy, especially near the end of the song.  It's not the mp3 file, because it sounds much more clear through Noontec Zoro HDs.  But some things sound so much better on the X2s (actually, just about everything)!  I'm wondering whether other people have this same observation - some songs sounding more muddy/distorted, others being perfectly clear - or whether my cans might be defective somehow.  

For the record, I'm just driving my X2s with my HTC One M8 - don't own an amp or DAC.  Also, my phones were from a Gibson box, glued pads, but Woox on the headband.

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #9,154 of 15,268
For me, some tracks that I have sound bearable. But the vast majority of my files don't. Weird thing is, the very same tracks sound absolutely amazing on my HD600 and K553 and SHP9500.  
Could it be that the X2 for some reason are just really really sensitive to the quality of the recording, even though most of my files are high rate FLAC?  

Have no idea, but in all cases for every song I have, the treble seems recessed, and there isn't great clarity in the sound frequencies from bass to low-mids.  

I can listen to songs on youtube decently with all my other headphones.  Not with these.  

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #9,155 of 15,268
Adele recordings are pretty horrible. Very loud.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #9,156 of 15,268
Pro tip - if your recording sounds like schiit - check your recording first and then blame the headphones.. (personal experience)

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #9,159 of 15,268
  Pro tip - if your recording sounds like schiit - check your recording first and then blame the headphones.. (personal experience)

So when the same track sounds absolutely fantastic on the other 5 headphones.  Then what...

I'm not talking about 1 track.  I'm talking hundreds of tracks, with the full gamut of file types.  

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #9,160 of 15,268
@pootyash 'Hello' sounds a little congested here too.  Pretty sure it's that particular song though, not really prevalent with most tracks on my X2.

@EternalShadow I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but you're describing the sound of the bad Gibson pair that I had.  You can certainly get a non-muffled sounding Gibson pair, and it seems way more likely that you will get a decent sounding pair.  If you generally like the sound signature perhaps RMA them, if you're still inside the window.

@AkamShatab RMA huh?  Now you'll get to try a Gibson pair.  Probably.

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #9,162 of 15,268
  @pootyash 'Hello' sounds a little congested here too.  Pretty sure it's that particular song though, not really prevalent with most tracks on my X2.

Yeah, otherwise, most tracks on my X2s sound great.  I was just amazed that song can sound so much less congested through my Zoros while the X2 bests the Zoros with nearly everything else.  Guess the X2 just can't handle too many different mids/upper bass thrown at it at once...

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #9,163 of 15,268
ok good folk, concerning stereo balance, I am kind of content with this pair I got yesterday. In fact I thought at the very first sound check the new pair were 'balanced' ... then, maybe I got a mental thingy. 

Tried the app Hammy suggested (but I also had files from audiocheck.net I tried before) and swapped different pads on and off.

I would like to think my visit to the store to exchange pair was worth it. I was indeed having this issue without me checking any fora before, so no groupthink there. I was at least so certain yesterday that it behoved me to act. 

Very tricky thing this however, with all parameters to consider, your actual hearing i.e. physical/mental faculties, outer ear-angles, speaker membrane to eardrum, music files, stereo production, software, codecs, cables/hardware etc etc

My ear canals are in fact different (perfectly common I’m sure), me havin’ done moulds while I was musician and home made molded ear tips för my IEM. And of course I can naturally have a slight lesser/different hearing on one side, some inner ear related …

so adjusting the X2 properly , trying to hit the right angle I will keep these for now but continue to critically listen …

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #9,165 of 15,268
Adele recordings are pretty horrible. Very loud.

I agree. Compressed and engineered to play loud. One day she will understand what a disservice those mass market producers are doing to her well-sung performances. Hello is actually one of the better Adele songs over the X2s, if you can believe that. Most get muddled wall of sound orchestration. Clearly engineered for iPhones (Apple) and ear buds.

Try Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Lovin'. Great performance, well recorded, engineered, and is a better album (IMO). It amazes me how good this sounds on the X2s. Don't do mp3 or iTunes. Get the CD and rip losslessly. Better yet, buy in vinyl or SACD or download the Hires version (HD Tracks or Pro Audio Masters).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back