Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 8, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #9,136 of 15,268
  No, Darien has good reason to hate on Gibson.

The production quality of everything has been atrocious for the past decade. It's a pretty well known, and shared opinion in the guitar world. You are much better off getting a used, older model. They used to be perfect, nearly always. They likely have been changing to cheaper production methods or just flat out skip quality checks. 

We are all praying that things turn around. It's not one of those big brands anyone WANTS to see disappear. 

It is sad to see how Gibson's reputation is going down. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #9,138 of 15,268
Got my X2 from Amazon Warehouse today.  It's from Gibson with the darker velour pads and everything looks perfect.  Haven't checked if the pads are glued since I don't really care.

One thing I've noticed is the lower volume compared to my Koss PortaPro.  With the Koss plugged into my E10K (low gain) on a Mac (system volume at max), the optimal volume for me was around a 2 on the E10K.  With the X2, I have to raise it to around 3 for equivalent volume.

Is that normal?

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #9,141 of 15,268
  No, Darien has good reason to hate on Gibson.

The production quality of everything has been atrocious for the past decade. It's a pretty well known, and shared opinion in the guitar world. You are much better off getting a used, older model. They used to be perfect, nearly always. They likely have been changing to cheaper production methods or just flat out skip quality checks. 

We are all praying that things turn around. It's not one of those big brands anyone WANTS to see disappear. 

Wow. I had a Gibson starter a long time ago. I now play a Larrivée acoustic. Since my purchase about 12 years ago I have not stayed current on the comings and goings of quality in the guitar world. The Larrivée was introduced to me at the guitar store and felt and played better than the Gibson and other models. So that is what I bought. Sorry to hear about the quality. Sounds like expansion and growth have taken their toll.

So far, very very pleased with two pairs of X2s that I bought (one pre-sale Woox and one sale Gibson as a holiday present).

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #9,142 of 15,268
sorry just wanted to 'make myself heard'

my post from Stereo balance issue with brand new Fidelio X2s

all quiet on this matter? Checked the long x2 thread where I found aboutseven and sappl3s

I just returned these today with exact above mentioned issue (bought before christmas in Sweden for a nice 185$), and the new pair are the same, amazingly annoying !!

Anyone found magic trick ... ?

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #9,143 of 15,268
Jan 9, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #9,144 of 15,268
Still havent gone back to webhallen for a replacement of my X2.. should i go today? Im pretty nervous to get a Gibson pair back as replacement.. Would i even get a replacement for my X2's color being scratched of really really easily?

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #9,148 of 15,268

Are you testing for imbalance properly with SineGen or equivalent?

See here for how I solved my imbalance problems. The imbalance may even still be there, it's difficult to do critical listening with no pads on (!), but I don't mind as long as it sounds balanced with a 'pair' of pads.

EDIT: Links and such.

I was a bit sloppy apparently ... just reading/searching 100 pages of thread.

I will check pads asap ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back