Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 8, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #9,122 of 15,268
Played Skyrim with the X2s for the first time last night... holy moly! Getting hit with a warhammer never sounded so good!

I've passed whole Witcher 3 wearing X2 - unforgettable experience! Amazing soundtrack helps too.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #9,123 of 15,268

When my girlfriend and I were exploring music with her new X2s and my HD650s and HE-500, she was almost always more impressed with the sound stage and bass of the X2s than the liquidy sound of the HD650 or the precision and mouth-watering mids of the HE-500. Her only letdown was that they sound sorta crap from her iMac headphone port and transform dramatically with amping. 

This gives me some hope, because right now, my LZ-A2 IEMs sound better than my X2.  I hope the FiiO E18 changes that.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #9,124 of 15,268

This gives me some hope, because right now, my LZ-A2 IEMs sound better than my X2.  I hope the FiiO E18 changes that.

Thought you were enjoying your X2s, Grayson?  I'm using mine with a little E10K and can't say it sounds _much_ better than my onboard ALC892, but obviously E18 should be a bit more powerful.

Are you using the FiiO yet?  Let us know your impressions.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #9,125 of 15,268

Thought you were enjoying your X2s, Grayson?  I'm using mine with a little E10K and can't say it sounds _much_ better than my onboard ALC892, but obviously E18 should be a bit more powerful.

Right now, I'm using with my Nexus 6 phone and my Dell laptop.  Neither of them drive them to loud enough volume even at 100%.  I switched to my LZ-A2 IEM and they sounded much better, but, to be fair, they are really good IEMs.

I don't have an amp yet, but considering the E18.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #9,126 of 15,268

I find my X2s don't improve a whole lot with amplification, the bass may gets a little bit better controlled.  Going from my HTC One M8 to my Little Dot I+ doesn't increase the sound quality significantly.  The X2s just sound great and are effortless to drive.

However...my HE400i's improvements are VERY noticeable.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #9,127 of 15,268
  I find my X2s don't improve a whole lot with amplification, the bass may gets a little bit better controlled.  Going from my HTC One M8 to my Little Dot I+ doesn't increase the sound quality significantly.  The X2s just sound great and are effortless to drive.

However...my HE400i's improvements are VERY noticeable.

Yup, agreed, bass control is the most noticeable difference going to my E10K.

Just tried them on my OnePlus One and they get very loud.. surprising if a Nexus 6 can't drive them to ear-bleeding volumes.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #9,128 of 15,268
Right now, I'm using with my Nexus 6 phone and my Dell laptop.  Neither of them drive them to loud enough volume even at 100%.  I switched to my LZ-A2 IEM and they sounded much better, but, to be fair, they are really good IEMs.

I don't have an amp yet, but considering the E18.

Are you trolling? I've a pair of Fischer amps Fa4 and many rank them over w40 and in some regards even the se846.
I just turned my fa4 to a CIEM with a really good fit, still the x2 sounds much better. Much better.

Even if fa4 are great pair of IEMs and one of them best below 500usd, it's unfair to compare them to a pair of headphones like x2.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #9,129 of 15,268
This is scaring me.  Now I'm wondering if my X2s are defective, which is why they were returned and available on Amazon Warehouse Deals.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #9,131 of 15,268
  This is scaring me.  Now I'm wondering if my X2s are defective, which is why they were returned and available on Amazon Warehouse Deals.

This is all smoke and mirrors if you ask me. I bought a pair after the Amazon scare, for $160ish bucks. I figured that I might as well take advantage of the nonsense coming out of this forum!

Great build quality, great sound, no complaints <--- and I'm pretty picky with this stuff. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #9,132 of 15,268

This is all smoke and mirrors if you ask me. I bought a pair after the Amazon scare, for $160ish bucks. I figured that I might as well take advantage of the nonsense coming out of this forum!

Great build quality, great sound, no complaints <--- and I'm pretty picky with this stuff. 

That's why I'm trying to figure out why it is not sounding as good as I expected it to.  I wonder if it's because I listened to them after burning them in non-stop for 24 hours.  Perhaps I should have let the drivers rest before listening to them?

I REALLY want them to be my favorite, so I'll try different things, such as purchasing FiiO E18 (to see if lack of volume is my issue).  It sounds good, but not amazing (nor loud enough) out of my Nexus 6.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #9,133 of 15,268

That's why I'm trying to figure out why it is not sounding as good as I expected it to.  I wonder if it's because I listened to them after burning them in non-stop for 24 hours.  Perhaps I should have let the drivers rest before listening to them?

I REALLY want them to be my favorite, so I'll try different things, such as purchasing FiiO E18 (to see if lack of volume is my issue).  It sounds good, but not amazing (nor loud enough) out of my Nexus 6.

Amazon (and many other stores) have awesome return policies these days. I'd recommend ordering a 2nd pair and directly comparing if you are that concerned. If they sound the same, bring them back for a refund. 

On another note, I generally don't like any new headphone I get during the first listen. Our ears grow accustomed to the sound signature of whatever we had prior, and has yet to naturally adjust to the signature differences. Wait a few days, and see if you still don't like them. There's actual science behind this if you dig a little. We spent a lot of time on this in my physics of sound class in college way back when. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #9,134 of 15,268
  god i've always hated gibson 

What specifically would have cause you to 'always hated' Gibson? Are you an dissatisfied virtuoso guitarist? I don't think Gibson shows up anywhere remotely near my 'hate meter'. Until this thread, I thought of them as a guitar and drum maker and did not even know they had expanded beyond from musical instruments.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #9,135 of 15,268
  What specifically would have cause you to 'always hated' Gibson? Are you an dissatisfied virtuoso guitarist? I don't think Gibson shows up anywhere remotely near my 'hate meter'. Until this thread, I thought of them as a guitar and drum maker and did not even know they had expanded beyond from musical instruments.

No, Darien has good reason to hate on Gibson.

The production quality of everything has been atrocious for the past decade. It's a pretty well known, and shared opinion in the guitar world. You are much better off getting a used, older model. They used to be perfect, nearly always. They likely have been changing to cheaper production methods or just flat out skip quality checks. 

We are all praying that things turn around. It's not one of those big brands anyone WANTS to see disappear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back