Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 5, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #8,942 of 15,268

That's interesting. To me, they sound very different from the HE-500. The X2 has a wider soundstage and the bass is definitely 'flabbier' and a lot more pronounced than the HE-500.

I am only referring to the impact you get from the HE-500.  I have modded all three versions.  With Jerg's mods on the HE-500, the soundstage is increased.  The X2 bass is more bloated than the HE-500.  The HE-500's bass is crisper, attacks fast with good decay.  I do wish even the modded HE-500s had the soundstage of the HE-560s but I guess that's why I own the HE-6s.

The X2's are also much easier to drive than the HE-500.  The only portables I liked with the HE-500s were the ALO National or RSA SR-71B that I own.

The impact is what I don't seem to get from many of the headphones that I own.  Alot of the headphones are more airy and lack the impact for portable use.  Then again, we all hear things differently.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #8,943 of 15,268
  so what other option do i have besides the x2? i got a HD650 coming in the mail tomorrow but im planning on returning it because i hear u need at least  a thousand+ dollar dac to get the most out of it...

Whoever told you that was lying to you 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #8,944 of 15,268
Got my X2s from Amazon. Sound quality is borderline garbage for headphones of this caliber. What a letdown. I'm returning these to Amazon.
Going back to and prefer my Koss PortaPros. The bang for buck People's Champ at <$200 unamped 30 years and running.

Really disappointed everytime I find a new contender, always a letdown. I've had it, my next buy is just an upgrade to the Koss ESP-950s. They've earned it and feel bad for turning my back on those folks.

Nice try PHILIPS.

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #8,946 of 15,268
Got my X2s from Amazon. Sound quality is borderline garbage for headphones of this caliber. What a letdown. I'm returning these to Amazon.
Going back to and prefer my Koss PortaPros. The bang for buck People's Champ at <$200 unamped 30 years and running.

Really disappointed everytime I find a new contender, always a letdown. I've had it, my next buy is just an upgrade to the Koss ESP-950s. They've earned it and feel bad for turning my back on those folks.

Nice try PHILIPS.

Wait, are you trolling this thread?

I'm confused.

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #8,947 of 15,268
Wait, are you trolling this thread?

I'm confused.

Don't worry about it, especially if you keep finding yourself confused often. Enjoy your X2s and sorry about your feelings.

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #8,948 of 15,268

I am only referring to the impact you get from the HE-500.  I have modded all three versions.  With Jerg's mods on the HE-500, the soundstage is increased.  The X2 bass is more bloated than the HE-500.  The HE-500's bass is crisper, attacks fast with good decay.  I do wish even the modded HE-500s had the soundstage of the HE-560s but I guess that's why I own the HE-6s.

The X2's are also much easier to drive than the HE-500.  The only portables I liked with the HE-500s were the ALO National or RSA SR-71B that I own.

The impact is what I don't seem to get from many of the headphones that I own.  Alot of the headphones are more airy and lack the impact for portable use.  Then again, we all hear things differently.

Oh yeah, the impact is there. It's just more clinical than the X2, more precise. With the HE-500, I hear the bass, with the X2, I feel the bass. Personally, I prefer the bass of the HE-500, but I'm no basshead. I just got the Focus Pads for the HE-500 today/yesterday. Comfort is mightily improved and the soundstage is a bit bigger. I can't believe I like the Focus Pads, because I hated the Jerg mod.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #8,949 of 15,268
So many opinions and so many unanswered questions.. I think I'm just gonna enjoy my X2's for a while and forget about it :) I think I have a good pair of X2's, no physical imperfections or visible quality issues, and the quality and naturalness of the sound is pretty good in my opinion, but it's pretty hard to know if I have a good pair unless I compare them with others X2's. I guess the drivers are the same in all X2's, maybe the pads has slightly different thickness and maybe that changes the sound signature a bit, but it shouldn't really affect the sound quality imo.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #8,950 of 15,268
Jan 5, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #8,952 of 15,268
So many opinions and so many unanswered questions.. I think I'm just gonna enjoy my X2's for a while and forget about it
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I have a good pair of X2's, no physical imperfections or visible quality issues, and the quality and naturalness of the sound is pretty good in my opinion, but it's pretty hard to know if I have a good pair unless I compare them with others X2's. I guess the drivers are the same in all X2's, maybe the pads has slightly different thickness and maybe that changes the sound signature a bit, but it shouldn't really affect the sound quality imo.

Maybe we should organize a Fidelio X2 / Fid  Elio X2  get-together-and-find-the-differences event, just to listen to each others X2's. Getting real cozy with each other and then leaving frustrated, because each and everyone of the X2's differs and grass, greener, otherside.  you know. :)  (Tyll is not invited,cause he has the best pair :wink:  )

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #8,953 of 15,268
Maybe we should organize a Fidelio X2 / Fid  Elio X2  get-together-and-find-the-differences event, just to listen to each others X2's. Getting real cozy with each other and then leaving frustrated, because each and everyone of the X2's differs and grass, greener, otherside.  you know. :)  (Tyll is not invited,cause he has the best pair :wink:  )

Venue: Philips headquarters

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #8,954 of 15,268
Sounds like a plan!

ETA: I call BS on people saying that the Woox models sounds better than Gibson models. Why would that be? Isn't the drivers the same? Yes. Isn't the headphone the same? Yes. Isn't the pads almost the same? Yes. Why would there be any significant differences to the sound?

ETA2: I'm pretty sure my pair has gotten more "airy" in the breaking in period, pretty sure. And a little less bassy too. I'm pretty sure that if I would compare them to my M50's now, the difference I experienced before would be less now.

ETA3: Now I can honestly say that the bass isn't overpowering in any songs I listen to, which I couldn't say when I first got them.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #8,955 of 15,268

IMO the shp9500 are probably the best sub $300 cans available.

Careful, there are a ton of good cans in the $200-$300 range, maybe you could give us some insight as to what experience you have with cans in that price range? Grado SR325e, Beyer Pro line, X2's all are pretty solid in that range.  I have only minimal time with the 9500's but i recall them being a touch bright and a little rough up top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back