Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 17, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #7,636 of 15,268

Mostly rock/pop/r&b, with some jazz and various subgenres thrown in. I've been trying to listen to a wide variety of artists to get a good sense of the capabilities of each set of headphones.

Damn. Should i sell my X2 and go for a HE400S?
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #7,638 of 15,268
  Damn. Should i sell my X2 and go for a HE400S?
confused_face_2.gif

No. I owned both. X2 is better in every way, most importanly timbre. HE400S has weird timbre. I would gladly own X2 again (might do it again) but HE400S, no way.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #7,639 of 15,268

I would say no, two very different headphones. If anything, save up and get one to pair with your X2s. One more neutralish, one fun. 

Hmm yeah, or maybe i will wait for the Fidelio X3. 
bigsmile_face.gif

No. I owned both. X2 is better in every way, most importanly timbre. HE400S has weird timbre. I would gladly own X2 again (might do it again) but HE400S, no way.

Hah. I remember you said the HE400S is more suitable for your taste and only lose X2 in the bass in the past. Did you change your mind?
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #7,641 of 15,268

He400s...classical and vocals.

X2...small jazz groups.'.

At least for me.

Massdrop/Fostex XOO for everything. Next drop will probably be Feb. (my favorite) but I like those other two as well.

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #7,642 of 15,268
I have a few quick impressions beyond the "Wow!" factor. The real strength of these headphones, for me, are in its mids. Many of us come from older, more mid-centric phones that could not properly represent the lows in most post-vinyl era music (the HD650s in my case). So, when doing initial comparisons of the X2s to these older 'phones, the former can appear to have recessed mids. However, it was when playing "All I've Got to Do" from "With The Beatles" (Mono CD Box) that John's voice and Paul's harmonies jumped out at me in a way that I've never experienced from headphones. This is merely one song from one rather mediocre-sounding album from the '60s.

TSO's classic "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24" contains all of its majesty, yet one laments the digital compression used during mastering as it limits the sheer power that is said to be felt during live performances. However, the keyboard and guitars can be easily distinguished from each other in a way that, again, I've never heard from another headphone. Like the above Beatles song, the bass player is way down in the mix and the X2s do not feel as if they're missing something as I've heard from other "basshead" cans.

Another song with wonky sound that I gave a shot was Dream Theater's "Surrounded." The drum triggers plod and kick with exactly the impact that the producer wanted (and that drummer Mike Portnoy detests), but the real strength of the song are the vocals, guitar, and keyboards. John Petrucci's strings cut through in a manner that I've only observed in cans that emphasize guitars (Grados, HD-25s). Similarly, Kevin Moore's keyboards can be easily picked out and followed note-for-note if you're familiar with them (the only instrument for me). But, the real standout are James LaBrie's vocals. While not exactly a great singer, the subtleties in his voice are easily picked-out without having to really concentrate on the details.

To me, this is the real strength of these headphones. Critical listening is not necessary to hear the subtleties in the music. Another example is dialogue during "Star Wars" that I can honestly say that I could never pick-out before. This is not a problem with the X2s.

Suffice to say, I'm very impressed with the X2s thus far. As for the inconsistencies some have experienced through build quality, I haven't observed any of them in mine. I hope that these are merely isolated incidents and not a common problem with these headphones. It would be a shame for these issues to repel others from experiencing a true breakthrough as I feel these are.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #7,643 of 15,268

Hmm yeah, or maybe i will wait for the Fidelio X3. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Hah. I remember you said the HE400S is more suitable for your taste and only lose X2 in the bass in the past. Did you change your mind?
bigsmile_face.gif

Yes, I did. At that time I had sold my X2s and was comparing by memory. Also I got my hands on PM-3s which are tonally very good. After doing extensive listening, I came to the conclusion that X2 was better than HE400S, especially in terms of timbre and naturalness. 

Now I have Oppo PM-2 which sound amazing indeed. PM-2's bass extension is superb but X2 bass has very good slam and impact. I'm eyeing Fostex TH-X00 as a basshead can but also wondering if Philips will release X3 with better sub-bass extension and smoother highs.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #7,644 of 15,268
For those with the issues and willing to replace - we gotta wait for the sale to resume, don't ask for refund, otherwise $200 price is not guaranteed.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #7,645 of 15,268

Yes, I did. At that time I had sold my X2s and was comparing by memory. Also I got my hands on PM-3s which are tonally very good. After doing extensive listening, I came to the conclusion that X2 was better than HE400S, especially in terms of timbre and naturalness. 

Now I have Oppo PM-2 which sound amazing indeed. PM-2's bass extension is superb but X2 bass has very good slam and impact. I'm eyeing Fostex TH-X00 as a basshead can but also wondering if Philips will release X3 with better sub-bass extension and smoother highs.

Although the X2's mid is slightly muffled?
I will find a chance to listen to the HE400S one day, and the PM-3 if i can. 
bigsmile_face.gif

@bracko: I always like the way you express your opinion, sir, very objective and logical, easy-to-understand.
bigsmile_face.gif
  Btw, you changed your HE-500 to HE-400i?

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #7,646 of 15,268

Although the X2's mid is slightly muffled?
I will find a chance to listen to the HE400S one day, and the PM-3 if i can. 
bigsmile_face.gif

@bracko: I always like the way you express your opinion, sir, very objective and logical.
bigsmile_face.gif
  Btw, you changed your HE-500 to HE-400i?

PM-3 and PM-2 mids are far better than X2's. I consider both to be better than X2 technically. X2 is a very fun headphone, however and better than HE400S in every way.

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #7,647 of 15,268
So I've been listening to them for several hours & I must admit that it needs some getting used to...

However, now I've understood that recording quality matters. Average pop recordings sound quite similar in my modded iBuds but rock, metal & celtic sounds awesome ! :L3000:

Another matter worth mentioning is that I'm almost topping in volume in my Walkman...

P.S.: Please take my impressions with a grain of salt as I'm pretty much noob ^_^

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #7,649 of 15,268
So I've been listening to them for several hours & I must admit that it needs some getting used to...

However, now I've understood that recording quality matters. Average pop recordings sound quite similar in my modded iBuds but rock, metal & celtic sounds awesome ! :L3000:

Another matter worth mentioning is that I'm almost topping in volume in my Walkman...

P.S.: Please take my impressions with a grain of salt as I'm pretty much noob ^_^

All opinions are welcome! ANY headphone can make a good recording sound good, but it takes a truly special one to present a bad one as it is. Listening to "Bat Out of Hell" the first time is going to be an experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back