Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 16, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #7,576 of 15,268

OK, I need more details. 
wink.gif

The X2 is so much fun, a lot of low end and some real swing to it. I found myself toe tapping and head banging a lot. Paired with the Geek Out V2, it's wonderful. I definitely get that "in the room" feeling.

The 400S is more analytic, less "fun", more precise. The soundstage is more closed in (although that supposedly can be rectified with a grill mod, which I may try as it's easy to do) and there's nowhere near as much low end. The bass is tighter and better integrated into the overall sound, but there are tracks where I wish I had the big sound of the X2. That being said, the overall effect of the 400S is really impressive, it's very smooth (it's yacht rock approved!), not fatiguing in the slightest, and super comfortable to wear.

Do note that I am comparing the X2 in SE mode and 400S in balanced. They're two very different beasts, and they're both excellent.

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #7,577 of 15,268
Man you guys all need to chill a little haha. You're all spending so much time worrying about little things that you will never be able to just enjoy the headphones!

I mean, unless there's a hardware malfunction that affects the headphone's ability to do what it is meant to do, just open them up, slip them on, turn on some tunes, and ENJOY!
smily_headphones1.gif

That's what I'm going to do. Enjoy the music. Doesn't mean I couldn't or shoudn't give Philips and Amazon a bit of a hard time as a demanding consumer.
rolleyes.gif

How are they going to improve otherwise?

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #7,578 of 15,268

OK, I need more details. 
wink.gif

The HE-400i was $299 on Black Friday, see if you can snag a deal on the classifieds if you really want a Hifiman.

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #7,579 of 15,268
  The HE-400i was $299 on Black Friday, see if you can snag a deal on the classifieds if you really want a Hifiman.

I'm just curious. Generally not a big fan of their ergonomics and build quality.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #7,580 of 15,268
I recommend the bass plus pad replacements. Quite soft and I detect no smell. Unfortunately they are only available on eBay for 28 dollars and ship from China. They are customized for the X2. The stock pads were too firm and irritating for me.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #7,581 of 15,268

As of right now, you're overreacting. You don't know why Amazon has suspended sales on these, and just because one member has gotten a defective pair, doesn't mean they are all defective.

Also, Amazon isn't ebay. There's no need to record yourself unboxing the headphones. They will believe you if you say they are defective.

Not at all, I'm waiting to see what's going on, but preparing myself, and others for the IMPENDING DOOOM!!!!!

It's kind of obvious why Amazon suspended their sales, as @madwolfa explained, they told him they are going to investigate their QC.  This "tag" I posted is just them letting people know they are doing as such.

The issue all of us are having is that they had a sale, and then said "our stock has issues, so we aren't selling anymore."

It's basically Amazon saying they knew **** had issues, then purposely had a sale in order to get rid of stock, in the hopes people don't catch the issue like @madwolfa

How big of a deal is this aluminum thing?  Not very to me, but ink bleeding, chemical spell, itchy earpads, is something to be concerned about, and hope you don't ahve an issue....

Recording is a good idea for ANY company's package.  I Had an issue myself that could have most likely been avoided if I had recorded the damage I noticed from the box itself.

As I mentioned previously, Amazon doesn't check stock, but this is a good practice regardless..

Also, the one time a company says "no, sorry, it's your fault," you will be glad you had it recorded.

Ya, it might take a while to get my perfect pair, but with Amazon's return policy I'll get there eventually... No reason to panic.

No panicing, as I said above, but figured it would be interesting to see where things are coming from, since people are obviously not happy (you especially).....

Seeing as you're on pair #4, I'm sure others would want to know if they would get a similar pair, to yours, and if they care as much as you do about this issue, then they would want Piece of mind about it...

The guy from India definitely isn't very happy about the issues, and we all hop to get a good quality pair...

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #7,582 of 15,268
The main reason I bitch and moan here and on Amazon support channels about this, arguably, minor cosmetic issue is to raise awareness and force Philips to get their schiit together, so we all benefit from better QC in their future batches/products. It's just a shame that such a great and well-rounded product suffers from something that should be quite easily fixed (and, honestly, should've been fixed a while ago)...

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #7,583 of 15,268
Originally Posted by Eurobeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cuz we aint messing around with the ear-bola pads according to @Mr Trev LOL.

It's that bad it has it's own name.... :p  Did you name it, or have you heard that name on here....

Seen the term ear-bola on one of the other threads - not sure if it was a fidleio thread, but I thought it was funny.
From what I remember reading the pads had been fixed so they don't bleed dye anymore.

@Mr Trev if you could also share which warehouse you got yours from, with the smell, it would be appreciated.

My pair was shipped from Phoenix, if that's what you're referring to.

As far as the smell goes, it seems to be pretty typical with synthetic foam products. I'm sure that now they're out of the box and have a chance to breathe the smell will wear off (i'm also thinking about swapping pads with a spare pleather hm5 I have kicking round)

The alum trim on mine isn't quite flush in spots, but doesn't look like its going to fall off or anything.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #7,585 of 15,268
  Was there anyone else complaining about clamping force? I have a fairly large head and these feel amazing.

Feels just right on my head, which is medium-large. I heard it might feel a bit loose for people with smaller heads.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #7,586 of 15,268
Was there anyone else complaining about clamping force? I have a fairly large head and these feel amazing.

Mine are a little bit tight, especially compared to my HD598s. I'd say my head is medium-large... It's not headache inducing but I will be happy when they loosen up a bit

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #7,587 of 15,268
  I jumped Amazon deal and I just received mine this morning. I see some issue with the build quality. The small metal rings that are right next to the earpads and on the cups are clearly popping off in several paces.  It looks like the glue is not holding them. It is supposed to be brand new. Is this known issue?

On the pic above if you are referring to the small gap where the rings terminate, I think that's normal. I have it too and it's on the right cup. It also seems to line up with the 3.5mm plug on the left cup. Instead of manufacturing separate rings for left and right cups they went with one standard length is my guess. Now if someone were to put up a pic where there is no gap then all bets are off.

This is a different issue from the aluminium ring not sitting flush around the cup. That isn't normal.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #7,588 of 15,268
On the pic above if you are referring to the small gap where the rings terminate, I think that's normal. I have it too and it's on the right cup. It also seems to line up with the 3.5mm plug on the left cup. Instead of manufacturing separate rings for left and right cups they went with one standard length is my guess. Now if someone were to put up a pic where there is no gap then all bets are off.

This is a different issue from the aluminium ring not sitting flush around the cup. That isn't normal.

My X2 looks the same with the gap. I thought it was intentionally designed that way. If not I would like to evidence of a closed ring.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #7,589 of 15,268
My X2 looks the same with the gap. I thought it was intentionally designed that way. If not I would like to evidence of a closed ring.

That gap is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back