Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 4, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #6,931 of 15,268
  I'm now getting creaking from both sides of the strap when I move my jaw or anything, fun times.

FYI, if anyone else has this problem, I got some lotion on a toothpick and put a small amount around the strap openings - seemed to have helped so far.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #6,932 of 15,268

FYI, if anyone else has this problem, I got some lotion on a toothpick and put a small amount around the strap openings - seemed to have helped so far.

Methinks graphite might be a longer lasting solution... but I've got serious Friday brain going on so I might be off my rocker on that one.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #6,933 of 15,268
  Own both, X2's are more comfortable for me but I don't have an abnormally "tall/long" head,  I do tend to wear larger hat sizes (width/diameter).  Both are comfy for me but there might be a problem with long skinny head shapes due to the limited vertical movement on the X2

Quick comparo

Sub-Bass - stronger on HP150 but also a little out of whack with the rest of the bass frequencies, significant bump around 30 hz, deepest sub bass is a little rolled off in the X2
Mid-Bass - stronger on the X2 but sounds natural, similar to what happens with speakers when they are put in a real livings pace (mild bass lift of 2-5 dbs)
Mids - X2 is hands down the winner here, there is a little upper mid recess on the HP150 that makes female vocalists sound "off" to me
HIghs - both fairly well extended, HP150's are more of an elevated plateau and the X2's have some spikes making them a little grainy.

Both are fairly easy to drive, I use my X2's for EVERYTHING and the HP150 for more sub-bass oriented music, EDM, Rap, etc.  I also don't have a lot of closed headphones so the HP150's also come out when I need to prevent sound leakage.

Thanks for the comparison, it really helps put things in perspective.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #6,934 of 15,268
BTW, for anyone curious, I have a great modded T50RP, he-400i, etc. - X2 is still the most enjoyable headphone to listen to. Its soundstage, bass, and musicality is just excellent. he-400i is a bit clearer/more neutral, but it feels closed compared to the X2s. Not to mention the comfort and build quality are superior to the 400i and every other HP I own. I keep coming back to them from the others, they're great for everything. 

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #6,935 of 15,268
  I am hearing more and more complaints about manufacturing quality issues with X2 here and on other forums as well. This is sad - X2 is such a great headphone when you get a "good one." I know that the stories of manufacturing issues would make me very hesitant about getting X2 if I didn't have one already.

Note, that the vast majority of X2 owners have no problem with their pair. People post on different forums, if there is a problem. No problem, no post. I am just saying, X2 production issues are a bit over-exaggerated, like looking into a distorting mirror.

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #6,936 of 15,268
Note, that the vast majority of X2 owners have no problem with their pair. People post on different forums, if there is a problem. No problem, no post. I am just saying, X2 production issues are a bit over-exaggerated, like looking into a distorting mirror.

Exactly was I was thinking when I read the last few pages. Also interesting that when someone posts about a problem all of a sudden "everyone" has it (channel imbalance in the early days of this thread is one example).

Fwiw I'm very close to a year on my pair now and I've used them a lot. I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever with them (but I'm not the type to spend a lot of times looking for it either). I just enjoy them tremendously:)

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #6,937 of 15,268
Exactly was I was thinking when I read the last few pages. Also interesting that when someone posts about a problem all of a sudden "everyone" has it (channel imbalance in the early days of this thread is one example).

Fwiw I'm very close to a year on my pair now and I've used them a lot. I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever with them (but I'm not the type to spend a lot of times looking for it either). I just enjoy them tremendously:)

That is what exactly matters... :)
However, Philips still needs to look into their product IMO.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #6,939 of 15,268
Denon D2000 is kind of similar to the X2 in sound sig. I find it to have better highs and sub-bass especially. Maybe that new Massdrop Fostex? Either isn't very closed, but quite enough for home-use.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #6,940 of 15,268
Quote:
  Denon D2000 is kind of similar to the X2 in sound sig. I find it to have better highs and sub-bass especially. Maybe that new Massdrop Fostex? Either isn't very closed, but quite enough for home-use.

Modded or stock D2000? I disliked stock D2000. It has a lot of sub bass, but it's very bloated and intrudes into the higher frequencies. The highs on stock D2000 are too sharp, grainy and a bit steely/metallic. The mids are somewhat recessed and not very natural... I actually preferred my modded HD555s and sold D2000 after a few days of owning them. X2 is far more natural and even sounding than stock D2000. However, I could hear potential in those D2000 drivers, so if modded properly, they could be really good sounding.

I can recommend NAD Viso HP50 as a somewhat similar sounding closed back to X2. HP50 is more neutral and has a bit less bass and treble. X2 has more resolution and sound sharper/more defined in the bass and mids. HP50 has more refined highs and sounds cleaner. Overall tonal balance and character on the two is similar - both have a similar very smooth, laid back presentation. In overall sound quality, X2 may have an edge, but I think HP50 sounds a bit more... focused (probably because it's cleaner and free of grain, whereas X2 is slightly grainy). X2 is a bit diffuse and the mids are slightly recessed relative to HP50.

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #6,942 of 15,268
Dec 5, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #6,943 of 15,268
Quote:

Modded or stock D2000? I disliked stock D2000. It has a lot of sub bass, but it's very bloated and intrudes into the higher frequencies. The highs on stock D2000 are too sharp, grainy and a bit steely/metallic. The mids are somewhat recessed and not very natural... I actually preferred my modded HD555s and sold D2000 after a few days of owning them. X2 is far more natural and even sounding than stock D2000. However, I could hear potential in those D2000 drivers, so if modded properly, they could be really good sounding.

I can recommend NAD Viso HP50 as a somewhat similar sounding closed back to X2. HP50 is more neutral and has a bit less bass and treble. X2 has more resolution and sound sharper/more defined in the bass and mids. HP50 has more refined highs and sounds cleaner. Overall tonal balance and character on the two is similar - both have a similar very smooth, laid back presentation. In overall sound quality, X2 may have an edge, but I think HP50 sounds a bit more... focused (probably because it's cleaner and free of grain, whereas X2 is slightly grainy). X2 is a bit diffuse and the mids are slightly recessed relative to HP50.

Thanks for the comparison!

I love my X2s, but I wanted a good closed all-rounder, and ordered the NADs.

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #6,944 of 15,268
Thanks for the comparison!

I love my X2s, but I wanted a good closed all-rounder, and ordered the NADs.

Let us know about your impressions compared to X2, when the NADs arrive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #6,945 of 15,268
  What closed can would you suggest under £400 ($600) for home use, which matches the sound of X2?

Oppo PM-3... It sounds better than X2 actually but is less comfortable due to much smaller pads. It's still over-ear for me but might be in the borderline on-ear category for people with big ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back