Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 4, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #6,902 of 15,268
  dang.

QC problem?

Yep, maybe bad glue application or something. Which is a shame really. I just love them otherwise.

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #6,903 of 15,268
  So I've been considering getting a pair of x2's but I have a few concerns. First, I've about fit issues. I currently use my soundmagic hp 150's (basically the same shell as the hp 200 and 100) at the 4th extension. Does anyone with experience with both sets know if these should fit me right? Also, I'm unsure as to whether there will be too much bass in comparison to my hp 150s. 

Own both, X2's are more comfortable for me but I don't have an abnormally "tall/long" head,  I do tend to wear larger hat sizes (width/diameter).  Both are comfy for me but there might be a problem with long skinny head shapes due to the limited vertical movement on the X2

Quick comparo

Sub-Bass - stronger on HP150 but also a little out of whack with the rest of the bass frequencies, significant bump around 30 hz, deepest sub bass is a little rolled off in the X2
Mid-Bass - stronger on the X2 but sounds natural, similar to what happens with speakers when they are put in a real livings pace (mild bass lift of 2-5 dbs)
Mids - X2 is hands down the winner here, there is a little upper mid recess on the HP150 that makes female vocalists sound "off" to me
HIghs - both fairly well extended, HP150's are more of an elevated plateau and the X2's have some spikes making them a little grainy.

Both are fairly easy to drive, I use my X2's for EVERYTHING and the HP150 for more sub-bass oriented music, EDM, Rap, etc.  I also don't have a lot of closed headphones so the HP150's also come out when I need to prevent sound leakage.

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #6,904 of 15,268
Lol I'm sat here vaping waiting for my first set of cans thinking oh oh

Start making your own Juice, the cost savings are significant.  120ml bottle of 4mg/ml nicotine costs me 3-5 bucks to make.  I've been running a HP and Vape addiction simultaneously for the last 3 years, gotta cut cost where ya can.  

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #6,905 of 15,268
  Hi Bracko,

I noticed you have the 650's as well.

I just talked to a Philips representative and they suggest I buy them from Amazon.com (US).
When all is said and done the X2's will cost the same as the HD600's. ($440.00CA)
I JUST got the 600's so I can still return them but this will be a huge gamble for me since I can't audition the X2's

How would you compare the X2 to your 650's?
If you had to get rid of one which would you keep and why?

I'm asking because I bought he 650's about 6 months ago and found them too veiled..it's the dip in the upper 8K that drove me nuts with my setup so I just recently sold them.

Bass is better defined on Fidelio X2 vs. HD600 and 650. Both Senns have slightly muddy bass. Mids and highs are clearer and more refined on HD600 and 650. Between 600 and 650, the former is clearer and more natural sounding in the highs. HD650 sounds slightly dull in the treble - not lacking in presence, but rather in attack/sharpness - to my ears compared to HD600. Mids are a bit more even and perhaps slightly more refined on HD650 vs HD600 - 600 has some emphasis in the upper mids, making some vocals and instruments a bit shouty and thin sounding at times. However, HD650 also has somewhat overblown mid bass IMO, compared to HD600 and even X2. X2 also has a bump in the bass, but it's in the low bass below 100 Hz, so it doesn't sound that unnatural. HD650, however, has a boosted mid bass that seems to intrude a little into the lower mids - well it doesn't really cover anything up and all the detail and clarity is still there, but I still find it a bit unnatural and intrusive. HD600 has the most natural bass of the three, but rolls off a bit in the sub bass. Soundstage is largest on X2, but it lacks some depth and definition, compared to HD600 and 650. Overall, HD600 has the most natural, least processed sound. HD650 is second with slightly muffled highs and a slightly overblown mid bass, but fuller, more even mids. X2 is the least natural, but has a pleasant tonality and a nice fullness, smoothness and warmth to the sound, as well as some extra sparkle in the highs and extra width to the soundstage that many people may find more pleasant than the more honest and analytical sound of HD650, and, especially, HD600.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #6,906 of 15,268

Hi Bracko,

I just talked to a Philips representative and they suggest I buy them from Amazon.com (US).
When all is said and done the X2's will cost the same as the HD600's. ($440.00CA)
I JUST got the 600's so I can still return them but this will be a huge gamble for me since I can't audition the X2's

I'm asking because I bought he 650's about 6 months ago and found them too veiled..it's the dip in the upper 8K that drove me nuts with my setup so I just recently sold them.

HD650 is a little bit flatter headphone over the frequency range. The bass of HD650 is not as defined or pronounced as X2. The soundstage of HD650 is smaller but I think that the imaging is a bit better. The treble of X2 is more pronounced but maybe not as refined. The mids of the X2 are a tad more withdrawn which is not always bad. I had HD600 too and sold it a couple of months ago. It is one of the most natural headphones I've ever heard. But it is not that refined at all and has a very small soundstage. 

Which one would I get rid of if I had to? That is a very tough decision. I have had my HD650 for ten years now, for a reason 
smily_headphones1.gif
 too. But I also like the dynamics and musicality of the X2. HD650 is more modular. You can easily change drivers, pads etc. X2 is more solidly built. X2 is easier to drive. You don't even need an amp to make X2 sound great. For HD650 you'd need a good amp to make it sound good. Both are very good headphones but if I had too I would keep X2 for its versatility. 

Cheers!
I gotta hear these for myself now. :)

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #6,907 of 15,268
  Does anyone know why the X2 can't be found in Canada except for some nut on AmazonCA asking over $1,000.00?

You just have to wait. They do go on amazon.ca now and then.
The last few stock was sold out just a week or 2 ago by a seller going by 'digitalguy' from S.Korea.
I can vouch for him coz that's who I got mine from for CDN$400.+ $14 for customs.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #6,908 of 15,268

Hi Bracko,

Bass is better defined on Fidelio X2 vs. HD600 and 650. Both Senns have slightly muddy bass. Mids and highs are clearer and more refined on HD600 and 650. Between 600 and 650, the former is clearer and more natural sounding in the highs. HD650 sounds slightly dull in the treble - not lacking in presence, but rather in attack/sharpness - to my ears compared to HD600. Mids are a bit more even and perhaps slightly more refined on HD650 vs HD600 - 600 has some emphasis in the upper mids, making some vocals and instruments a bit shouty and thin sounding at times. However, HD650 also has somewhat overblown mid bass IMO, compared to HD600 and even X2. X2 also has a bump in the bass, but it's in the low bass below 100 Hz, so it doesn't sound that unnatural. HD650, however, has a boosted mid bass that seems to intrude a little into the lower mids - well it doesn't really cover anything up and all the detail and clarity is still there, but I still find it a bit unnatural and intrusive. HD600 has the most natural bass of the three, but rolls off a bit in the sub bass. Soundstage is largest on X2, but it lacks some depth and definition, compared to HD600 and 650. Overall, HD600 has the most natural, least processed sound. HD650 is second with slightly muffled highs and a slightly overblown mid bass, but fuller, more even mids. X2 is the least natural, but has a pleasant tonality and a nice fullness, smoothness and warmth to the sound, as well as some extra sparkle in the highs and extra width to the soundstage that many people may find more pleasant than the more honest and analytical sound of HD650, and, especially, HD600.

Thanks Pianist...
You sure got the 6XX's pegged.
I'm a little concerned that the X2's have that weird Grado sizzle now.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #6,909 of 15,268

Does anyone know why the X2 can't be found in Canada except for some nut on AmazonCA asking over $1,000.00?

You just have to wait. They do go on amazon.ca now and then.
The last few stock was sold out just a week or 2 ago by a seller going by 'digitalguy' from S.Korea.
I can vouch for him coz that's who I got mine from for CDN$400.+ $14 for customs.

Thanks!

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #6,910 of 15,268
Thanks Pianist...

No sizzle on X2. Also Pianist is spot on with HD6xx comparison, I think.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #6,911 of 15,268
No sizzle on X2. Also Pianist is spot on with HD6xx comparison, I think.

+1 on no sizzle, little graininess but no sizzle.  Just enough of a spike to increase perceived detail.  I only have one pair of grados but I would say they definitely handle treble differently.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #6,912 of 15,268

couldn't have stated it any better.

dat sennheiser clamp on da head is something else.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #6,913 of 15,268
  Thanks Pianist...

X2 treble is a bit uneven, as there's a spike around 8-10 kHz that can make them sound extra sparkly relative to neutral response. However, it's nowhere near Grado treble spikes. Compare to Grados, X2 is a neutral reference. lol X2 highs are also very smooth with no harshness, so they won't offend, unless perhaps you like to listen at very high volumes.

Quote:
  +1 on no sizzle, little graininess but no sizzle.  Just enough of a spike to increase perceived detail.  I only have one pair of grados but I would say they definitely handle treble differently.

lol I think there's sizzle with X2 because it sounds a bit extra sparkly compared to neutral response, but I am not sure I can hear grain in X2 treble. My main issue with the highs on the X2 is that peak around 8-10 kHz that makes the highs sound a bit uneven. Other than that, I find the X2 treble very smooth and pretty high quality. It's not quite as crystal clear as the treble on HD600, but it's not far of the mark and sounds quite natural, apart from that treble peak. Also, it's possible that there's some production variation with X2s that can make some units sound audibly different...

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #6,914 of 15,268

lol I think there's sizzle with X2 because it sounds a bit extra sparkly compared to neutral response, but I am not sure I can hear grain in X2 treble. My main issue with the highs on the X2 is that peak around 8-10 kHz that makes the highs sound a bit uneven. Other than that, I find the X2 treble very smooth and pretty high quality. It's not quite as crystal clear as the treble on HD600, but it's not far of the mark and sounds quite natural, apart from that treble peak. Also, it's possible that there's some production variation with X2s that can make some units sound audibly different...

As far as variation mine are darn near a launch pair.  Ordered them day one when they appeared on Amazon, only HP I've paid full price for and I zero regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back