Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 16, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #6,648 of 15,268
My only real gripe on my 2nd day with the phones is a certain softness up top - distorted guitars for an example don't quite have the sizzle, bite and crunch that I'm used to. Same thing with snares and the "crack" they produce. It sounds a bit too safe, well behaved and soft.

I'll get home tomorrow and will try some EQ to correct this small annoyance. Tyll talks about a dip in the 5-8khz region - anyone tried to boost the highs there? To my ears the highs aren't even close to being too loud, I really like that air in the higher treble.

There's a bi dip in the 2khz-8hz region. This is what i did for my pair:

1) EQ'ed that up by +2.5db,
2) 10khz by +4db,
3) 12khz by +2db.

This works perfectly for me. I would suggest taking the hearing sensitivity test at the link below with the X2s. This because we all hear sounds slightly differently.

http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Once the test is done, you can start eq'ing up the frequencies below the 1khz level. I would suggest eq'ing up the frequencies to the right if the 1k column and then the frequncies to it's left if you feel the need.

Hope this helps.

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #6,650 of 15,268

Not sure I could swing £200, I'd be more happy with closer to £150.

It is worth to check eBay too, with proper caution of course. But there is a chance to find a lucky deal. On Amazon, it is usually around £220. I bought mine from eBay, a slightly used almost new pair, for £160 with shipping. I had been checking the sites for a few weeks though. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #6,653 of 15,268
No, i thougt that im going to be happy with the X2s so i dont to look out for another pair of hp. 
It has nothing to do with the X2s its just that i dont like open back hp. So now i need to find over ear hp which are killing it.

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #6,654 of 15,268
  It has nothing to do with the X2s its just that i dont like open back hp.

I have to ask, exactly what about open headphones is it you don't like?
I was under the imagination that there was sound-profiles one could like, or dislike, where as most open headphones have a significantly wider sound-stage, but going from there to automatically disqualify all open headphones in favor for closed is quite a reach. Good closed headphones have a wider sound-stage then some crappy open, they sort of blend together in the middle...
B!

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #6,656 of 15,268
  I have to ask, exactly what about open headphones is it you don't like?

Maybe the sound leakage/isolation.. I can't think of anything else.

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #6,657 of 15,268
Well I got mine now, and they sound amazing the more I run them in. Flat outside of the box so I put 72 hours of drum and bass through them :D

BUT they seem to sound louder in the right ear than the left on some tracks for some reason? grr

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #6,658 of 15,268
  Well I got mine now, and they sound amazing the more I run them in. Flat outside of the box so I put 72 hours of drum and bass through them :D

BUT they seem to sound louder in the right ear than the left on some tracks for some reason? grr

Channel imbalance. Seems to be a common problem. I had 2 pairs of X2s, and the first one had channel imbalance. I miss them from time to time but QC issues make me stop from buying them again.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #6,660 of 15,268

There's a bi dip in the 2khz-8hz region. This is what i did for my pair:

1) EQ'ed that up by +2.5db,
2) 10khz by +4db,
3) 12khz by +2db.

This works perfectly for me. I would suggest taking the hearing sensitivity test at the link below with the X2s. This because we all hear sounds slightly differently.

http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Once the test is done, you can start eq'ing up the frequencies below the 1khz level. I would suggest eq'ing up the frequencies to the right if the 1k column and then the frequncies to it's left if you feel the need.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll check out that test.

As a first thing when I got home, I tried the simple 10-band iTunes EQ, things got better for sure. Like this:

That warmth was a bit too much for me, cutting some upper bass and boosting the highs helped. We'll see if I need to delve deeper into EQ'ing with these, maybe not.

By the way, this is quite a bassy headphone - my LCD-2.1's sounded downright bright & middy after the X2's
gs1000.gif
 Denon D2000's have more low bass and that "crunch and crack" up top without EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back