Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 14, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #6,586 of 15,268
Nov 14, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #6,587 of 15,268
Both statements are not fully correct from my experience. Senns are not that hard to drive, unless from a portable, which doesn't make sense anyway given the open design, size and weight.

Secondly, even X2 benefits from quality source and amplification, but of course you may plug them into your smartphone and get them decently loud. Which doesn't make sense to me either, for the same reasons as above..

That's why I've mentioned "Accordiog to most users"

However, I do agree with your point :)

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #6,588 of 15,268

I wouldn't get a tube amp for a low impedance headphone like X2. Magni as a relatively powerful solid state amp should give you more options going forward.

And yes, I'd go all Uber if possible.

Right. No tubes then. Since they weren't socketed, it's not a great loss anyway. 95% of the point with tubes is to play around with different ones, looking for the right sound.
Well. That, and actually listening to music is only half of the last 5%, the subtle glow is equally important.
Some joking included, of course.

B!

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #6,589 of 15,268

What are headphones like X2 but closed?

I think NAD Viso HP50 is fairly similar to X2 in tonality. X2 has a bit more bass presence, while HP50 has less bass, but it's a bit clearer and tighter than that of X2. Both have pretty forward and present lower mids, giving vocals and other instruments in that range nice fullness and body. The upper mids are also similar and then in the lower treble, X2 seems to be a bit more recessed than HP50, while in the mid-treble around 8-10 kHz, X2 is a bit brighter. As a result, X2 has a slightly uneven treble - the emphasis on 8-10 kHz stands out just a little too much, giving the treble nice sparkle, but it's a bit artificial sounding. HP50 has a more linear and natural sounding treble. Resolution is probably better on X2, as it seems to capture texture/micro details better than HP50, but HP50 sounds a bit cleaner and more controlled than X2. Overall though, they are relatively similar sounding, considering one is open and the other is closed. X2 sounds a bit sharper on attack, more fun and energetic, while HP50 sounds a bit rounder, softer on attack and slightly less detailed, but smoother and more even than X2.

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #6,591 of 15,268
My new pair of X2 arrive today. Thanks Amazon Prime - Sunday delivery!

Paid £300... so £70 more than the broken ones. I really hope they don't sell the broken ones on Warehouse deals again.

Anyway I can't wait, after the sonic joy of a semi-broken X2 the DT770's just sound meh.

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #6,592 of 15,268
  Right. No tubes then. Since they weren't socketed, it's not a great loss anyway. 95% of the point with tubes is to play around with different ones, looking for the right sound.
Well. That, and actually listening to music is only half of the last 5%, the subtle glow is equally important.
Some joking included, of course.

B!

Yet I was reading that the WA7 Fireflies pair really well with the X2, and they are tubes...

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #6,593 of 15,268
  The sound is completely different. The HD650 are great and the mids are better. I however don't like the top smoky sound to the HD650. The top end is more clear on the X2. I hear a V sound on the X2. The mids are almost two recessed. The overall sound was more enjoyable on the X2 to me. I would own both but don't listen to headphones that much. Now I did think the HD700 was better than both of these. But way more expensive too.

How do the HD 700's compare with the Fidelio X2's? I am considering both of these headphones but I have only enough money for one of the two. I like detail and excitement. Which does better in this regard?

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #6,594 of 15,268
Depends on what you're trying it on. In case of X2, it will need a lot of hassle as it is single ended, which means, All those L,R,Ground wires are assembled inside in a formation ; L & one end of Ground ends in Left cup, another end of the Ground & R go to the Right cup via the metal bars. Both ground wires sum together to form a single wire that, along with L & R are connected to the jack (That's what I can assume)

There are 4 wires inside that connect to the jack. Tiny bell wire. Soldered to a circuit board, which is then pushed onto the jack input.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #6,595 of 15,268
  How do the HD 700's compare with the Fidelio X2's? I am considering both of these headphones but I have only enough money for one of the two. I like detail and excitement. Which does better in this regard?

Do you like bass/a v-shaped, fun signature or a revealing one that's more detailed but fatiguing with those oh so controversial treble spikes?

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #6,596 of 15,268
  Do you like bass/a v-shaped, fun signature or a revealing one that's more detailed but fatiguing with those oh so controversial treble spikes?

Well, the T90 is my limit/way too bright, but I can take the DT 990 in all its forms. FWIW, I already had a chance to demo the HD 700 and liked it. So I guess that means I could go either way potentially, huh? :)

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #6,597 of 15,268

The X2's have something the HD700's don't have; bass quantity, quality and impact. Plus a much superior mid-range. It's also detailed. It sounds spectacular with games and movies. You can also EQ it to make it sound more balanced and neutral without any treble spikes whatsoever.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #6,598 of 15,268

I agree that HD6*0 do mids better than X2 - good point. X2 is a little less clear and precise in the midrange than the Senns. X2 still has excellent mids though. I don't agree however that X2 is necessarily better for music where bass is important. I think it depends on one's priorities. For a more neutral and reference sound, I think HD6*0 will work better for all music genres, offering sufficient amount of presence and extension in the low bass. However, for people who like to add bass boost to neutral headphones, X2 is a great alternative as it already has that fun bass boost built into its frequency response.

If I had to nitpick though, I would say that both lack in deepest sub bass extension, even X2. If you want to feel the deep rumble of a dance track or the low notes of a pipe organ, you will need headphones with more extended bass, like an LCD-2, or a well designed closed headphone. If you want to hear deepest sub bass well without spending much, also try Senn HD280 Pro - you may be surprised how much reasonable quality sub bass they have. Here's an example of a track that has the sub bass that many headphones struggle to reproduce properly. X2 does well with this track, but so do HD6*0 - X2 just has more bass volume, but it doesn't really have much more extension than HD6*0 - both drop off fast below 40 Hz or so and that's where that track has the most energy. If you or anyone reading this has HD280 Pro lying around, try that one with this track - you will be surprised... Other closed back headphones with strong bass extension, like NAD Viso HP50 and ATH-MSR7 also do a little better than the open headphones with this song - providing tighter, more controlled sub bass extension.

On second thought, I don't think X2 lacks extension in the bass. I think it lacks some quality in sub bass - it's a little loose, a little undefined. HD6*0 seem more controlled down low to my ears, even those they may be missing those last 15 Hz or so at the bottom... For listening to such low tones properly, one really shouldn't be using headphones anyway though - that's what subwoofers are for.

I agree that HD650 is boring compared to HD600 (and X2). I disagree that X2 is a good replacement for HD600, unless one is looking for a more colored sound with more bass and warmth. HD600 is meant to be a neutral reference and I think that it excels at this. It's not 100% perfectly flat, but it's as close as I've heard from any headphone, save for HD800. X2 is not meant to be a neutral reference, but rather a pleasant sounding headphone and a good representation of consumer hi-fi sound, and I think that it excels at this being a very fun sounding headphone while maintaining good tonal balance. I think HD600 portrays sound more accurately than X2 and this is especially apparent when listening to live instruments, but X2 may sound more satisfying with its extra bass presence and sparkle. Both have their place as they compliment each other IMO, not replace each other. A great replacement/upgrade for HD600 is HD800 IMO - the latter has similar reference tonality, although a bit different, but is much better in other sonic aspects.

I agree with most of your thoughts.
 X2s bass is also not perfect, as you say, LCD2 or a good closed headphone has better extention, or 'rumble'.But LCD2 is 3x more expensive, and closed back design in this price range is an obvious draw back over open design, like X2s. (Space, soundstage, etc.)
 I really liked my HD600s, but I was missing something in the bass region with most of my music, even though, bass boost was switched on my amp. X2s bass is fully satisfying though. Yes, V-Moda M100s bass for example is still better with some music bands. Where sub-bass is deep and rumbling. But 95% X2s just do the job, and do it pretty well. Not to mention, in all other sonic qualities they beat the M100s. So, this is very small compromise in bass region, which I am happy to make.
If I wanted to go for 100%, probably I should spend 3 times more money than I spent already. E.g. LCD2 with a nice amp.

Some people prefer X2s over LCD2 though. Also some others prefer HD600 over HD800. So all stories and preferences are very much personal things.  

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #6,599 of 15,268

I agree that HD6*0 do mids better than X2 - good point. X2 is a little less clear and precise in the midrange than the Senns. X2 still has excellent mids though. I don't agree however that X2 is necessarily better for music where bass is important. I think it depends on one's priorities. For a more neutral and reference sound, I think HD6*0 will work better for all music genres, offering sufficient amount of presence and extension in the low bass. However, for people who like to add bass boost to neutral headphones, X2 is a great alternative as it already has that fun bass boost built into its frequency response.

If I had to nitpick though, I would say that both lack in deepest sub bass extension, even X2. If you want to feel the deep rumble of a dance track or the low notes of a pipe organ, you will need headphones with more extended bass, like an LCD-2, or a well designed closed headphone. If you want to hear deepest sub bass well without spending much, also try Senn HD280 Pro - you may be surprised how much reasonable quality sub bass they have. Here's an example of a track that has the sub bass that many headphones struggle to reproduce properly. X2 does well with this track, but so do HD6*0 - X2 just has more bass volume, but it doesn't really have much more extension than HD6*0 - both drop off fast below 40 Hz or so and that's where that track has the most energy. If you or anyone reading this has HD280 Pro lying around, try that one with this track - you will be surprised... Other closed back headphones with strong bass extension, like NAD Viso HP50 and ATH-MSR7 also do a little better than the open headphones with this song - providing tighter, more controlled sub bass extension.

On second thought, I don't think X2 lacks extension in the bass. I think it lacks some quality in sub bass - it's a little loose, a little undefined. HD6*0 seem more controlled down low to my ears, even those they may be missing those last 15 Hz or so at the bottom... For listening to such low tones properly, one really shouldn't be using headphones anyway though - that's what subwoofers are for.

I agree that HD650 is boring compared to HD600 (and X2). I disagree that X2 is a good replacement for HD600, unless one is looking for a more colored sound with more bass and warmth. HD600 is meant to be a neutral reference and I think that it excels at this. It's not 100% perfectly flat, but it's as close as I've heard from any headphone, save for HD800. X2 is not meant to be a neutral reference, but rather a pleasant sounding headphone and a good representation of consumer hi-fi sound, and I think that it excels at this being a very fun sounding headphone while maintaining good tonal balance. I think HD600 portrays sound more accurately than X2 and this is especially apparent when listening to live instruments, but X2 may sound more satisfying with its extra bass presence and sparkle. Both have their place as they compliment each other IMO, not replace each other. A great replacement/upgrade for HD600 is HD800 IMO - the latter has similar reference tonality, although a bit different, but is much better in other sonic aspects.

Your impressions match mine pretty well. When I read Tyll's review saying they all but knocked the HD600 off his wall of fame, I was expecting something completely different. What I heard instead was an artificially boosted bass and treble. The bass FR is much flatter on a HD600 or 650 - the X2 has more of an acute bump at 80 hz or so, and it really sounds like an audiophile grade bass-boost. The treble I found also fatiguing - not all people have this reaction, but I seem to be allergic to their treble because I kind of start feeling unwell after just a few minutes of listening ot a brighter recording.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #6,600 of 15,268

The X2's have something the HD700's don't have; bass quantity, quality and impact. Plus a much superior mid-range. It's also detailed. It sounds spectacular with games and movies. You can also EQ it to make it sound more balanced and neutral without any treble spikes whatsoever.

Uberclocked was, I believe, referring to the controversial treble spikes in the HD 700, the spikes Purrin and Co. made positively sure all of us were informed would make us nauseous and kill us... not. XD

Which of the two has better detail and excitement: the HD 700 or the X2? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back