Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 12, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #6,543 of 15,268
  That is right. Excuse me, English is my second language and I am sleepy. :)

Bestula, were joking around. You did nothing wrong.

Agreed. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #6,544 of 15,268
  So I reversed the cans, and lo and behold, it's my ears.  Now at 40+, with thousands of hours of freeway motorcycle wind noise (still loud despite good foam earplugs), and rock concerts, the ravages of age and other damage have taken their toll.  I also learned I can't hear above 16k at this point, but can hear down low pretty well.

lol You are making me jealous because I can barely make out 16 kHz at age 27. However, what really matters is your hearing in the range of about 100 Hz to 12 kHz or so - that's where most music lies. The extremes of the spectrum matter, but you can live without them... I experimented with high pass and low pass filters in Audobe Audition and found that music can still sound very satisfying if I chop everything above and below those frequencies - not Hi-Fi, but perfectly listenable. If your hearing is shot in between however, you are in trouble, especially if you have a loss in the critical 2-4 kHz region. Usually noise induced hearing loss affects this region the most, so make sure you get a hearing test done, if you haven't done one yet. Even though I can't hear above 16 kHz (in fact, my usable range ends around 15 kHz), my hearing from 250Hz-8 kHz remains perfect at -5 to 5 dB sensitivity because I don't have any noise induced hearing loss.

Nov 13, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #6,545 of 15,268
I just got these and pretty satisfied. I almost always use them plugged in to my laptop (Spectre x360). Would it be worth it getting a DAC to improve sound quality? The sound is loud enough, so I am only interested in improving SQ if possible.

I prefer warm/hif over analytical sound (but separation/clarity is also important). So if it is worth it, any recommendations?

Edit: Forgot to add that when plugging directly in to my phone (LG G4) Sound level is on the low side, so maybe a dac with build in amp would be an idea?

​I will say though that I rarely use the phone, but might do for vacations etc when I dont bring my laptop (have In-Ears for everyday out of house use)

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #6,546 of 15,268
My replacement pair should show up early next week. Just got word the RMA went through, so provided they got some on the shelf...
Now i just have to hope it's a pair without the sticker defects.
Oh, and btw. When i packed mine for shipping i noticed the same issue, the sticker releasing and showing a silvery edge, on both cups.
A lot more on the left, but the phenomenon was showing it self on both cups.

B!

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #6,547 of 15,268
  My replacement pair should show up early next week. Just got word the RMA went through, so provided they got some on the shelf...
Now i just have to hope it's a pair without the sticker defects.
Oh, and btw. When i packed mine for shipping i noticed the same issue, the sticker releasing and showing a silvery edge, on both cups.
A lot more on the left, but the phenomenon was showing it self on both cups.

B!

IMO I don't think you should be too disappointed if there is a SLIGHT bit of it showing. My replacement pair is essentially perfect except for one area that barely shows on the right cup. The truth is I never would have even noticed the issue in the first place if I hadn't read about it on here. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #6,548 of 15,268
Did anyone have imbalance issues with their X2s?
I have mine for about a month and the right side is slightly louder, and alot more detailed than the left side which sounds very dull on almost every track and genre i listen to.. even after boosting the volume to the left side I can still feel a difference. it's so annoying and unpleasant when listening to music with them.
This really sucks though cause I bought them from overseas.. shipping them to Philips for RMA is probably going to take months now...

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #6,549 of 15,268

IMO I don't think you should be too disappointed if there is a SLIGHT bit of it showing. My replacement pair is essentially perfect except for one area that barely shows on the right cup. The truth is I never would have even noticed the issue in the first place if I hadn't read about it on here. 

It's a brand new item, with a rather premium pricetag. It should be spotless when it shows up. Especially with the attention to detail the item is promoted to have been conceived with...
B!

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #6,551 of 15,268
I actually wouldn't bother, if it was something that wasn't just caused by trying to get by on the cheapest of all solutions. This is a sticker. The very least they could do is make sure they use a good glue. If it was a single case, i wouldn't be as bothered, but it seams to be at least a whole batch.

Anyway, we'll see how it looks when the new one shows up.
B!

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #6,552 of 15,268
  I actually wouldn't bother, if it was something that wasn't just caused by trying to get by on the cheapest of all solutions. This is a sticker. The very least they could do is make sure they use a good glue. If it was a single case, i wouldn't be as bothered, but it seams to be at least a whole batch.

Anyway, we'll see how it looks when the new one shows up.
B!

Can you tell me where there's a sticker on the X2?

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #6,553 of 15,268
  Can you tell me where there's a sticker on the X2?

You DO realize that this RMA discussion is about a aluminum foil sticker that is placed in a machined grove on the cups, which, when the glue is unable to keep it in place, pokes out a little, and looks like a silver sliver, a scratch, along the circumference of the cup?

There is at least one picture of it earlier in this thread, here:

The silver shine is from the side of the sticker. It's not supposed to be exposed, so the make the sticker with a stamping process, and doesn't bother with coloring the edge. (Which is fine. They just need to use a better glue, or make sure it's applied properly, whichever is the issue)

I guess that means that the answer to your question is... There is a sticker wrapping all the way around the circumference of the cups.
B!

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #6,554 of 15,268

[snip]

Oh, you mean that thing.
Not sure I would call that a sticker, you wouldn't call the veneer on the EL-8 a sticker, would you?
Anyways, I think that's less a fault with the adhesive they use and more with the application of the aluminum strip.  If applied correctly, the strip would encircle the can with zero gaps anywhere, which, if the glue fails, would either come off completely or at the ends.
Here's what I mean:

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #6,555 of 15,268
  Oh, you mean that thing.
Not sure I would call that a sticker, you wouldn't call the veneer on the EL-8 a sticker, would you?

Depends mostly on how they make, and apply it. If it's made from pree-glued sheets with a stamping press, and ready for application, then i would call it a sticker. Thats how the aluminum foil stickers for the X2 is made, no doubt.

From looking at my pair, i would say the sliver of silver was growing, from about 2cm when i first saw the post on it, and actually checked my set for it, to 5-6 by the time i packed it up and shipped it back to the retailer. On the right cup i didn't see anything when i checked it after the post made me look, but when i packed it up for shipping there was a 1.5-2cm starter right behind where the headband passes over. Not sure what would cause it, but it's a problem with anything from the size and shape of the sticker, to the strength, or application of the glue. I'm sure Phillips are aware of the problem,  and will, if they haven't already, fix it. It's just a shame it was there in the first place.
B!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back