Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 8, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #6,526 of 15,268
For me the X2's have a semi-open sound character. Hence the very good bass reproduction in combination with the wide soundstage.
Compared to my AKG K702's the sound leakage of the X2's is maybe half.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #6,527 of 15,268
  It is a generalization, but show me a closed back that gives a better (or same) listening experience than X2. Even though, what you write is true. 
When I say open back headphones (or closed back ones) either case I am talking about the £150-500 category. So the generalization is not as broad. :wink:

The Denons and Fostexes, SRH1540, JVC woodies (e.g. DX1000), and Audio-Technica closed cans (e.g. A-2000X) all have a great soundstage, comparable to that of open cans.
There're probably more cans that I didn't list as well.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #6,528 of 15,268
  The Denons and Fostexes, SRH1540, JVC woodies (e.g. DX1000), and Audio-Technica closed cans (e.g. A-2000X) all have a great soundstage, comparable to that of open cans.
There's probably more cans that I didn't list as well.

I haven't heard any of those unfortunately. 
But I tried Momentum over ear, Urbanite, ATH M50, V-Moda M100, HP-50. All of them sound good, but unable to deliver the music experience of Fidelio X2. The clue must be the airiness of the open back design which also makes sound more natural. 
And I listen to a lot of music with electric elements in it and detailed, deep bass, but I do not miss the slightly better bass of the V-Moda M-100, due to a much better overall deal with X2. Yes, bass is slightly better on M100, but the space, airiness, naturalness, high fidelity sound of the X2s just give a much better listening experience and washes away M100, which are not a bad closed pair of hp-s. (This is my personal experience of course.)

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #6,529 of 15,268
There're probably more cans that I didn't list as well.

Well, they are considerably pricier too & are said to have a V shaped signature which may or may not suit everyone.(haven't heard of the Jvc's though)

IMO, when you're searching for alternatives, you have to consider some tradeoffs... :wink:

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #6,530 of 15,268
Well, they are considerably pricier too & are said to have a V shaped signature which may or may not suit everyone.(haven't heard of the Jvc's though)

IMO, when you're searching for alternatives, you have to consider some tradeoffs...
wink.gif

Some of them are more expensive, some aren't.
Some have a v-shaped sig, some don't.  Also, the X2 has a slight v-shape as well.

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #6,531 of 15,268
My Denon AH-D2000 is not a great substitute for the X2.  I find it to have less air and less soundstage.  BTW, it is "semi-open", so it doesn't fit the bill of a closed can.  I had heard that the Master & Dynamic MH-40 would be a contender, but just got one, sad to say it's not.  So far in the mid-priced arena, the HP50's for me are the closest to sounding open.  

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #6,532 of 15,268
Both the NAD Viso HP50 or Oppo PM3 have large soundstages considering that they're closed back cans. They have a relatively neutral sound which can be EQ'ed to make them sound more like an X2 with better bass.

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #6,533 of 15,268
Having no prior experience with this sort of a test, I ran the full suite ( http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php ) with my new X2s (from Amazon), and everything checked out great except the driver matching test.  At the high end of the frequency range, there's a zigzag - right, left, right.  :\

So I reversed the cans, and lo and behold, it's my ears.  Now at 40+, with thousands of hours of freeway motorcycle wind noise (still loud despite good foam earplugs), and rock concerts, the ravages of age and other damage have taken their toll.  I also learned I can't hear above 16k at this point, but can hear down low pretty well.

Great HFs though, and very comfortable.  And I have this forum to thank for the info that ultimately led up to the selection of such satisfying phones.

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #6,535 of 15,268
Amazon has re-stocked. That scary QC message is gone.  288 with Free 1 day delivery with prime. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back