Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 7, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #6,513 of 15,268
Yeah... keep 'em dry and clean.

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #6,515 of 15,268

The creaking can be sorted easily by a squirt of wd40 on the lower headband

I bet it can, but i wouldn't.
Anything greasy is a magnet for dust and other crap. In the long run being a bigger problem then the creaking that will go away over time.
B!

If you use a very, very, small amount of WD-40 in just the right place, you shouldn't have a problem.  Don't spray it in there, but spray some on something nonporous first and use something like a toothpick to scrape some up and apply it where needed. A very small amount will eventually dissipate but leave a lasting film and never squeak again.  I had to do this to a pair of Senn Q107s.  I see no remnants after some months and the creaking hasn't returned.

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #6,516 of 15,268
Maybe instead of regular WD40, use the dry lubricant (that's what she said...). I think it's graphite or something. Shouldn't be greasy but does the same thing. I use it on squeaky buttons on my game controllers.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #6,518 of 15,268
I just got a pair of X2s, and they are incredible! The only problem is that I did not realize just how much sound leaks from open-back headphones (this is my first foray into audiophilia). I intend to use these in my office when I want to play music (pandora, digital files) a little loud, so I am going to return these. 

Do you guys have any recommendations for closed-back headphones that are close to the X2s in terms of sound quality, clarity, bass, and sound stage? 

Tried AT M50x and they're okay. And I have a pair of Beyer DT770 (32 Ohm) on the way to test. But, I really wish that I could keep the X2s. They sound amazing!

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #6,520 of 15,268
  I just got a pair of X2s, and they are incredible! The only problem is that I did not realize just how much sound leaks from open-back headphones (this is my first foray into audiophilia). I intend to use these in my office when I want to play music (pandora, digital files) a little loud, so I am going to return these. 

Do you guys have any recommendations for closed-back headphones that are close to the X2s in terms of sound quality, clarity, bass, and sound stage? 

Tried AT M50x and they're okay. And I have a pair of Beyer DT770 (32 Ohm) on the way to test. But, I really wish that I could keep the X2s. They sound amazing!

Unfortunately you will never get the sound quality and open naturalness of a pair of opened back headphone from a closed back one. (It is just physics.)
There are however a lot of good options out there for closed ones, just do not expect X2 level of sound.
Depending on your budget and music preference these are worth to have a look: Momentum 2 over-ear, Nad-HP50, V-Moda M100, Oppo PM3. 
 Just as the M50x, most of these sound 'okay' compared to the X2s. This 'okay' sound is the compromise of having isolation...

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #6,521 of 15,268
  Unfortunately you will never get the sound quality and open naturalness of a pair of opened back headphone from a closed back one. (It is just physics.)
There are however a lot of good options out there for closed ones, just do not expect X2 level of sound.
Depending on your budget and music preference these are worth to have a look: Momentum 2 over-ear, Nad-HP50, V-Moda M100, Oppo PM3. 
 Just as the M50x, most of these sound 'okay' compared to the X2s. This 'okay' sound is the compromise of having isolation...

That's a VERY broad generalization and one that is not true.
Anyways, closed backs are fine.  They usually have better bass than open cans but in exchange for some airiness and soundstage.
You also forgot the SRH1540.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #6,523 of 15,268
  That's a VERY broad generalization and one that is not true.
Anyways, closed backs are fine.  They usually have better bass than open cans but in exchange for some airiness and soundstage.
You also forgot the SRH1540.

It is a generalization, but show me a closed back that gives a better (or same) listening experience than X2. Even though, what you write is true. 
When I say open back headphones (or closed back ones) either case I am talking about the £150-500 category. So the generalization is not as broad. :wink:

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #6,524 of 15,268
Ether C is said to sound like an open back. But that's waay more expensive & out of the range of most of us.

That's because it's extremely hard to engineer a closed back to sound like an open one. You can't just ignore the rules of physics... :wink:

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #6,525 of 15,268
When I need some isolation, I put on my M50X. Nothing beats the openness and soundstage of open backs, though. Also depends on kinds of music you're mostly listening to. Some genres are less sensitive to closed back deficiencies. Some even benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back