Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 7, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #6,496 of 15,268
I had some imbalance issues when I first got my pair. In fact, I think my pair that I bought on eBay was a return for that reason. The right driver had a quicker drop-off in the sub-bass and it started to bother me to the point where I was going to return them again. But then it started to even out after a few weeks of listening and now the difference between the drivers is minimal. So, things do look up after a LOT of burn-in.

Hmmm, I'll try some serious burn-in for the next day or so. I ain't holding out much hope though. I've only got a 7 day return window.

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #6,497 of 15,268
Just out of curiosity,is the amazon retailer for these just producing incredibly messed up pairs of headphones? I'm seriously considering getting these over the hifiman he 400S but am wondering whether I should wait a little bit until the quality control goes back to what it was before. Can anyone confirm whether it would be better to wait or just get something else entirely.

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #6,498 of 15,268
I just would like to give my 2 cents as I haven't see it mentioned anywhere
The X2 has 2 major flaws (at least for me):
1. It has really loud microphonics
2. When you move around with them, you can here the hinges squeak

It's a good pair of headphones, but you need to seat down while listening :)

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #6,500 of 15,268

Your are not supposed to move around with them - hence the long cable.

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #6,501 of 15,268
Hmmm, I'll try some serious burn-in for the next day or so. I ain't holding out much hope though. I've only got a 7 day return window.

It probably will improve somewhat but your dB difference was a more severe than mine so who knows how much god a burn-in will do. Man, what a bummer. There seems to be a lot of online talk about QC problems with this model but it's hard to know how widespread it is. If you return, you should hit on a winner eventually. I love the sound so much that it's worth the effort of returning to get a matching pair. YMMV.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #6,503 of 15,268
  These are too dark for me, can someone post some EQ settings that'll improve female vocals

How may hours have you been used these for?

The sound profile for my pair became more balanced and less dark after some 200+ hours of usage. If you still find it too dark after that, it's probably because of the mid-bass hump.

Try the following:

1) EQ the 2KHz-6KHz region up by 2db to start with. I had to EQ my pair up by 3db to be satisfied.
2) EQ the 8KHz-12KHz up by 3-4 db to start with.

3) If the above steps still leave a darker sound than you prefer, EQ the 200Hz-500Hz region down a couple of db to start with. This should allow for a more neutral and cleaner sound.

I have applied my EQ in Foobar2000 using a graphic equalizer plugin for steps 1&2. IMO EQing the 200-500Hz region makes the X2's meh.

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #6,505 of 15,268

How may hours have you been used these for?

The sound profile for my pair became more balanced and less dark after some 200+ hours of usage. If you still find it too dark after that, it's probably because of the mid-bass hump.

Try the following:

1) EQ the 2KHz-6KHz region up by 2db to start with. I had to EQ my pair up by 3db to be satisfied.
2) EQ the 8KHz-12KHz up by 3-4 db to start with.

3) If the above steps still leave a darker sound than you prefer, EQ the 200Hz-500Hz region down a couple of db to start with. This should allow for a more neutral and cleaner sound.

I have applied my EQ in Foobar2000 using a graphic equalizer plugin for steps 1&2. IMO EQing the 200-500Hz region makes the X2's meh.

Hard to say, probably 100 hours so far.

Did what you said and left the bass untouched and they sound a lot better for music, thanks.

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #6,506 of 15,268

the included cable does seem to have microphonics issues for some people,it has been mentioned here and on other similar forums,your best bet is to use a third party cable. i use one of the extra cords that came with my V-Moda M80's and as well as being a lot shorter which makes it nicer for OTG listening with the X2's there are no microphonics even when moving about the house working on stuff or out walking my dogs etc...

as for the hinges on your headphones squeaking/creaking if your X2's are fairly new i'd let them break in awhile and see if the squeaking doesn't go away over the next few weeks on its own and if not you might try a small amount of teflon silicon lubricant but i'd give it some time as it may resolve itself

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #6,507 of 15,268
Maybe I'm lucky, but I've got my pair from Amazon recently and they're pretty much perfect without any issues mentioned so far in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back