Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 6, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #6,482 of 15,268
I tested my X2's for the first time last night. Whilst I still have a lot of testing to go, I wanted to ask whether anyone else found the cable incredibly noisy? The braiding is abrasive and the noise it generates when rubbing against your clothing is incredibly loud in the earcups. Even breathing moved the cable one or two millimetres and caused noise. I might have to replace the cable with a rubber one.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #6,483 of 15,268
I tested my X2's for the first time last night. Whilst I still have a lot of testing to go, I wanted to ask whether anyone else found the cable incredibly noisy? The braiding is abrasive and the noise it generates when rubbing against your clothing is incredibly loud in the earcups. Even breathing moved the cable one or two millimetres and caused noise. I might have to replace the cable with a rubber one.

Heh, yep, I got that on mine. It's extremely microphonic. I'm not too fussed about that element myself. Would be great if it wasn't there, but as things go, I guess it's not too bad a problem to have.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #6,484 of 15,268
Heh, yep, I got that on mine. It's extremely microphonic. I'm not too fussed about that element myself. Would be great if it wasn't there, but as things go, I guess it's not too bad a problem to have.

I found it's only a problem when I'm watching a film in my bedroom while I'm lying down. It's only in moments of dialogue that it distracts me. When in front of my computer listening to music, the cable noise doesn't bother me.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #6,485 of 15,268
  Update: I contacted Philips Denmark and received the following answer (translated with Google):

"Thanks for your mail,
It is not something I have any information on, at least not yet. However, I can say to them we have here looks quite fine, if it is a mistake on you will be able to get them reversed by contacting the store where they were purchased."

I don't think that will solve the issue though, as this (based on multiple occurrences over the the last ~3 months) seems to be a batch issue. If I return them, I will just get another pair from the same production batch - and most likely see the same defects. Amazon putting them on halt only substantiates this (my) theory.
I think I'll try hunting down an older pair from a local retailer and see how they compare to the ones I bought online.

Update 2: First pair (from the previous photo) on the left, second pair from a local retailer on the right. Get your QC-crap together, Philips.

(Sorry about the horrible lighting/focus - didn't have time to set it up properly)

EDIT: Obviously aimed to get the center clear, where the two aluminum frames are closest and the color difference most visible.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #6,486 of 15,268
Hmmm, thought I was perceiving some slight imbalance. Downloaded the sinesweep program as suggested by MLE in this thread. Was a bit disappointed to hear some shifts at certain frequencies. I done some AB tests with another set of cans and experienced some shifts at around the same frequencies, which means it's my ears :p. Also had my partner test the same and she had different spikes, so that rules that out. Well most of it. At around 5.5 kHz there was a noticeable shift. This however didn't happen on the other cans. It's about a 7 db shift to the right. I'll ask - is this acceptable? Is this something within the realms of normalcy? I'll take any comments on board. Not sure what to do.

It's weird too because after doing a generic Google search for 5.5 Hz headphone imbalance, the Fidelio X2 actually was the first hit with a thread from reddit about the same thing (I'm not getting the spike at 7khz though). Out of curiosity, does anyone else have it at around the same frequency?

Have you tried a different cable?

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #6,487 of 15,268
  Update 2: First pair (from the previous photo) on the left, second pair from a local retailer on the right. Get your QC-crap together, Philips.

[snip]

(Sorry about the horrible lighting/focus - didn't have time to set it up properly)

EDIT: Obviously aimed to get the center clear, where the two aluminum frames are closest and the color difference most visible.

Can't see a difference?

What kind of db discrepancy do you think is acceptable? I'm aware you should expect some slight shifts. Not sure within what realms though. Being that it's around 5.5, what would that be, music wise? Would it be the mids somewhere?

If it's at 5.5K, then that's firmly in the treble region.  Anyways, 7 db of difference is wayyyy more than acceptable, so I would return it.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #6,489 of 15,268
Tried a different cable. Still have the shift at the same spot - a solid 6-7 dbs it seems. Damnit.

Take it back.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #6,492 of 15,268
Mine are on the way back to Amazon!

Headphoneless for about 2 weeks...buying brand new ones.

So I have a spare philips x2 cable without the clip direct from Philips and a Forza cable I bought for 50 euros...and I need neither lol.

How many posts etc do you need to sell on here?

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #6,493 of 15,268
  Mine are on the way back to Amazon!

Headphoneless for about 2 weeks...buying brand new ones.

So I have a spare philips x2 cable without the clip direct from Philips and a Forza cable I bought for 50 euros...and I need neither lol.

How many posts etc do you need to sell on here?

Here is the Head-fi rule:

"Anyone wishing to post a thread in the For Sale/Trade forums must be a member of Head-Fi for over thirty (30) days, and have over fifteen (15) posts. If you have not met these requirements, you will see "You are over your limit for posting this forum. Please check back later."
Please note that after you've made your 15th post (if you already have been a member for 30 days), the system takes one hour to update before you will have access.
WARNING:  Posting nonsense or useless posts to get to your 15 required posts is not allowed. If it is found that you reached the requirement by making such posts, your For Sale/Trade forum privileges may be revoked indefinitely, and you may be banned at least temporarily."

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #6,494 of 15,268
He
Please clarify this part:
You want very low impedance (notice spelling) but I don't know what you mean in this context by 80m.

Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKIWQ7W?redirect=true

Look at the question its said 80m and 0hm impedance my point is i wanna change my cable to 3.5mm to 6.3mm i dont want to use the adapter and i dont like the stock cable. So its that a good cable for my x2? Thanks!

Edit: what happen if i use low impedance or high impedance? So x2 is made for high or lo impedance????

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #6,495 of 15,268
I had some imbalance issues when I first got my pair. In fact, I think my pair that I bought on eBay was a return for that reason. The right driver had a quicker drop-off in the sub-bass and it started to bother me to the point where I was going to return them again. But then it started to even out after a few weeks of listening and now the difference between the drivers is minimal. So, things do look up after a LOT of burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back