Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 3, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #6,466 of 15,268
  I ordered X2 from Amazon Warehouse deals. Saved £70...£230 instead of £300.

Unless I hold the 3.5mm connector in (and to the right) the right channel outputs nothing/very minimally and all the bass has gone from the headphones.

I believed this was the wire so I ordered a new wire via Philips CS but because they are crap it took them 2 weeks to get back to me (and I still haven't recieved a wire from them) in the meantime I purchased a Forza cable, but this has the same results. So the headphone female 3.5mm jack inside the left headphone speaker is faulty.

Warehouse deals only have a 30 day warranty (and they shouldn't have re-sold them as "used very good" when they are faulty at hardware level!) and it has been 31 days...

So either they go in the bin and I buy new ones for £300, costing me £530 in total or I have them repaired/repair them myself.

I am thinking of just plugging the connector in, holding it in the right place and superglueing it. There is literally 1mm of movement between normal position and pushing it slightly in/to the right where both channels work properly.

No idea why these didn't work. Took them apart, all solders fine etc. Contacts properly. Must have been the barrel inside the jack.

Screwed them back together and going to pester Amazon under DSR's (90 days legally) for refund and buy new and hope they work...

Pisses me off that Amazon sell faulty electronics as "used - very good condition" knowing that they don't work! So much for caring about its customers.

Just a quick tip when buying from Amazon, consider using an EU price checker and save yourself some cash. It can often work out cheaper to buy new from amazon.de or for my x2's amazon.it than it does from warehouse deals on .co.uk 

Fidelio X2 on EU amazon sites comparison

Anyway gl with the refund, my bet is they just give the products a cursory look over when they have been sent back and chucked up for re-sale without testing. Sucks that they would be this sloppy.

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #6,467 of 15,268
  I ordered X2 from Amazon Warehouse deals. Saved £70...£230 instead of £300.

Unless I hold the 3.5mm connector in (and to the right) the right channel outputs nothing/very minimally and all the bass has gone from the headphones.

I believed this was the wire so I ordered a new wire via Philips CS but because they are crap it took them 2 weeks to get back to me (and I still haven't recieved a wire from them) in the meantime I purchased a Forza cable, but this has the same results. So the headphone female 3.5mm jack inside the left headphone speaker is faulty.

Warehouse deals only have a 30 day warranty (and they shouldn't have re-sold them as "used very good" when they are faulty at hardware level!) and it has been 31 days...

So either they go in the bin and I buy new ones for £300, costing me £530 in total or I have them repaired/repair them myself.

I am thinking of just plugging the connector in, holding it in the right place and superglueing it. There is literally 1mm of movement between normal position and pushing it slightly in/to the right where both channels work properly.

If they are defective you can still return them in the first two years. This is European law.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #6,468 of 15,268
Amazon US aren't selling theirs at the moment. It reads:

Item Under Review
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2-27-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00O2Y2MZG

Weird. Wonder what this pertains to?

Also guys, I have a Fiio e17. In regards to gain. What would I use for the X2 - 0, 6 or 12 db?

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #6,470 of 15,268

Companies rarely ever state this, but this is law and supersedes companies' private policies.

However, if a commodity is sold as used, which i think is the case here, then your out of luck.
 Even if it's from a retailer.

But, there is always Phillips. They probably will honor warranties based on proof of purchase & manufacturer date.
Either way, it's a shame it took so long to get a fix on the problem. I would probably never have turned to Phillips in the first place, but taken my issues with my retailer, Amazon in this case. And, more to the point, since i'm having issues with my set as well, i'm returning them, never ever have had contact with Phillips. (My issues is the weird left cup sticker not being glued down properly, so nothing that a easy fix would take care of anyway.)

I sure hope it gets fixed, best of luck.
B!

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #6,472 of 15,268
  Thank your for the suggestions, but I will not try fixing it myself. They are brand new and I can just return/exchange them.
The aluminum "strip" is not gaping enough to apply glue anyway, as the issue is bulging in several spots.

As you can see, the edge is uneven and shiny in some places. That's the raw (uncolored) sides of the aluminum strips, that was supposed to be covered by the groove they are glued into. Applying pressure reveals that there's nothing underneath, so either the glue is missing/of poor quality, or the strip itself is too long to actually fit without bulging.

Obviously it doesn't affect sound quality, and I would actually prefer not to have them (which makes me curios about what's underneath - if removing them would be an option). I'm just anal about details.
With the price and Philips' own wording "Created for excellence", "Immerse in every detail", "Build for quality", "Obsession has its advantages" etc. in mind, I don't think it's too much to ask for a flawless product though.

Update: I contacted Philips Denmark and received the following answer (translated with Google):

"Thanks for your mail,
It is not something I have any information on, at least not yet. However, I can say to them we have here looks quite fine, if it is a mistake on you will be able to get them reversed by contacting the store where they were purchased."

I don't think that will solve the issue though, as this (based on multiple occurrences over the the last ~3 months) seems to be a batch issue. If I return them, I will just get another pair from the same production batch - and most likely see the same defects. Amazon putting them on halt only substantiates this (my) theory.
I think I'll try hunting down an older pair from a local retailer and see how they compare to the ones I bought online.

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #6,473 of 15,268
Guys, what's a good cable to get that'll match impedance wise etc. around 1-1.5m or so? Everyone seems to say the included clip is next to useless. Would rather a dedicated medium cable than bundling up the 3m one.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #6,474 of 15,268
Guys, what's a good cable to get that'll match impedance wise etc. around 1-1.5m or so? Everyone seems to say the included clip is next to useless. Would rather a dedicated medium cable than bundling up the 3m one.

???
I've been on this thread for a relatively long time and haven't heard anybody say that.
Anyways, a mediabridge, monoprice, or kabeldirect one will suffice.  There are lots of other brands, but those are the three I can list off the top of my head.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #6,475 of 15,268
???
I've been on this thread for a relatively long time and haven't heard anybody say that.
Anyways, a mediabridge, monoprice, or kabeldirect one will suffice.  There are lots of other brands, but those are the three I can list off the top of my head.

I was talking more about written reviews I'd read. Anyway, thanks I'll look into those suggestion.

My X2s arrived! Will give update impressions soon. :cool:

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #6,476 of 15,268
I was talking more about written reviews I'd read. Anyway, thanks I'll look into those suggestion.

My X2s arrived! Will give update impressions soon.
cool.gif

Oh, haven't really been keeping up with those.  The clip works fine imo for shortening a long cable, but it doesn't replace a short cable.  I'm not sure when you would use a short cable with the X2, though.  You can't really use them on the go, and a long cable is better than a short one for home use.

Anyways, gratz on getting your X2s!  Hope you like them!

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #6,477 of 15,268

I ended up getting the 1.2m Oppo PM-3 cable for my X2. The controls and mic work for my iPhone, which is great since it can actually drive the X2. I also picked up a generic OFC 2m cable from amazon, which is the perfect length for my desk set up.

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #6,478 of 15,268
^ Thanks for the suggestions guys.

As for initial impressions, I must say the sound signature is very pleasing :D - generally flat, but with a smooth warmness. It has presence. Everything sounds nice and pleasing - no exaggeration anywhere that's overly apparent or grating. Bass isn't boomy, but is definitely present. It has body and definition and thuds when needed. Nice and self-contained in well mastered tracks. Mids are neither recessed or exaggerated but rather comfortably encapsulated. Highs are apparent. I don't find them harsh, but I don't think I'm susceptible to that. It has great space to the sound.

I'll have to give them more time and update accordingly.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #6,479 of 15,268
Hmmm, thought I was perceiving some slight imbalance. Downloaded the sinesweep program as suggested by MLE in this thread. Was a bit disappointed to hear some shifts at certain frequencies. I done some AB tests with another set of cans and experienced some shifts at around the same frequencies, which means it's my ears :p. Also had my partner test the same and she had different spikes, so that rules that out. Well most of it. At around 5.5 kHz there was a noticeable shift. This however didn't happen on the other cans. It's about a 7 db shift to the right. I'll ask - is this acceptable? Is this something within the realms of normalcy? I'll take any comments on board. Not sure what to do.

It's weird too because after doing a generic Google search for 5.5 Hz headphone imbalance, the Fidelio X2 actually was the first hit with a thread from reddit about the same thing (I'm not getting the spike at 7khz though). Out of curiosity, does anyone else have it at around the same frequency?

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #6,480 of 15,268
Hmmm, thought I was perceiving some slight imbalance. Downloaded the sinesweep program as suggested by MLE in this thread. Was a bit disappointed to hear some shifts at certain frequencies. I done some AB tests with another set of cans and experienced some shifts at around the same frequencies, which means it's my ears
tongue.gif
. Also had my partner test the same and she had different spikes, so that rules that out. Well most of it. At around 5.5 kHz there was a noticeable shift. This however didn't happen on the other cans. It's about a 7 db shift to the right. I'll ask - is this acceptable? Is this something within the realms of normalcy? I'll take any comments on board. Not sure what to do.

It's weird too because after doing a generic Google search for 5.5 Hz headphone imbalance, the Fidelio X2 actually was the first hit with a thread from reddit about the same thing (I'm not getting the spike at 7khz though). Out of curiosity, does anyone else have it at around the same frequency?

7db?
Yeah, you probably want to return those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back