Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 2, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #6,452 of 15,268
Wasn't aware of this cup issue. It has me a little concerned actually. Quite shoddy for a premium priced headphone.

I've got a new one on the way to me. I'll have to check for this defect. It seems like maybe this is a batch issue though, going by most other people not experiencing it? Or rather have they changed something in the manufacturing that's unintentionally causing this?

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #6,453 of 15,268
I have had X2 for almost a year now, the aluminium band has been buckling slighty for just as long and there's nothing to worry about in terms of it getting worse/affecting sound quality :)

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #6,454 of 15,268
Thank your for the suggestions, but I will not try fixing it myself. They are brand new and I can just return/exchange them.
The aluminum "strip" is not gaping enough to apply glue anyway, as the issue is bulging in several spots.

As you can see, the edge is uneven and shiny in some places. That's the raw (uncolored) sides of the aluminum strips, that was supposed to be covered by the groove they are glued into. Applying pressure reveals that there's nothing underneath, so either the glue is missing/of poor quality, or the strip itself is too long to actually fit without bulging.

Obviously it doesn't affect sound quality, and I would actually prefer not to have them (which makes me curios about what's underneath - if removing them would be an option). I'm just anal about details.
With the price and Philips' own wording "Created for excellence", "Immerse in every detail", "Build for quality", "Obsession has its advantages" etc. in mind, I don't think it's too much to ask for a flawless product though.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #6,455 of 15,268
  if you really want to put your X2's through their paces and show off their true prowess i recommend tracking down a copy of this recording of Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony Orchestra performing Ravel's Bolero along with three other selections {cat # Decca 410 010 -2}

and even if  (like me) you're not particularly a big fan of classical music, there is a certain 'je nais se quoi' to the performance and production quality of this particular recording that has to be heard to be truly appreciated. in a nutshell, make sure you're wearing  a helmet cause your mind is about to be blown!

Here's a link to a quality vinyl copy of this excellent Bolero version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp1cut8tHmo

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #6,456 of 15,268
Hi All,

Could someone recommend closed cup headphones comparable with X2 in terms of sound quality and comfort, I'd be driving them from laptop jack port only.
I mainly would listen to music in those at work, I have to switch to something else as people around me got annoyed
with all the EDM. Although I do listen to all genres of the music and being all rounder is an important to me.

Thanks!

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #6,457 of 15,268
Hi All,

Could someone recommend closed cup headphones comparable with X2 in terms of sound quality and comfort, I'd be driving them from laptop jack port only.
I mainly would listen to music in those at work, I have to switch to something else as people around me got annoyed
with all the EDM. Although I do listen to all genres of the music and being all rounder is an important to me.

Thanks!

I'm happy with my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #6,458 of 15,268
Philips finally got back to me today...sending me a replacement cable. Bit late because I ordered one from Forza last week which arrived today.

And the new cable doesn't work either, so it must be the headphone jack. :/

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #6,460 of 15,268
I ordered X2 from Amazon Warehouse deals. Saved £70...£230 instead of £300.

Unless I hold the 3.5mm connector in (and to the right) the right channel outputs nothing/very minimally and all the bass has gone from the headphones.

I believed this was the wire so I ordered a new wire via Philips CS but because they are crap it took them 2 weeks to get back to me (and I still haven't recieved a wire from them) in the meantime I purchased a Forza cable, but this has the same results. So the headphone female 3.5mm jack inside the left headphone speaker is faulty.

Warehouse deals only have a 30 day warranty (and they shouldn't have re-sold them as "used very good" when they are faulty at hardware level!) and it has been 31 days...

So either they go in the bin and I buy new ones for £300, costing me £530 in total or I have them repaired/repair them myself.

I am thinking of just plugging the connector in, holding it in the right place and superglueing it. There is literally 1mm of movement between normal position and pushing it slightly in/to the right where both channels work properly.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #6,461 of 15,268
Taking the headphones apart, and replacing the faulty connector isn't an option?
B!

Edit
At least over here, if a issue is reported within the warranty time, it doesn't actually have to be returned at that point. So, i'd hit the Amazone warehouse for support, and see if they will accept the communications you have with Phillips as "reporting the issue" even if not with them, and replace the headphones before you start playing around to much on your own.
/Edit

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #6,463 of 15,268
Ok so I whipped the ear pieces off and then unscrewed the drivers...what a mess. seemingly random blobs of white glue all inside even in places where there are no wires?

Anyway by pressing down on the jack so these would work it appears to straighten the right channel wires. When not-pressed they curl up. I am going to superglue them, inside, so they are straight, and then superglue the jack part down too to mimic pressing on the jack from the outside.

I don't have a camera and my iPhone data is out for this month unfortunatly so I cannot share pictures.

I know this is a common problem it is even featured on the TechRadar review!

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #6,464 of 15,268
No idea why these didn't work. Took them apart, all solders fine etc. Contacts properly. Must have been the barrel inside the jack.

Screwed them back together and going to pester Amazon under DSR's (90 days legally) for refund and buy new and hope they work...

Pisses me off that Amazon sell faulty electronics as "used - very good condition" knowing that they don't work! So much for caring about its customers.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #6,465 of 15,268
  Ok so I whipped the ear pieces off and then unscrewed the drivers...what a mess. seemingly random blobs of white glue all inside even in places where there are no wires?

Anyway by pressing down on the jack so these would work it appears to straighten the right channel wires. When not-pressed they curl up. I am going to superglue them, inside, so they are straight, and then superglue the jack part down too to mimic pressing on the jack from the outside.

I don't have a camera and my iPhone data is out for this month unfortunatly so I cannot share pictures.

I know this is a common problem it is even featured on the TechRadar review!

Can't use wifi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back