Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 23, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #6,331 of 15,268
X2's treble smooths out after some 80+ of usage. Bass tightens up, midrange sounds cleaner though it still retains a warmish tonality. X2 really doesn't need an amp, but will sound much better with it. By better i mean an overall much more resolving and richer sound. My friend recently got the iBasso D14 Bushmaster which pairs beautifully with the X2.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #6,332 of 15,268
  Hi madwolfa, can I ask you about the Fidelio X2 treble? How will you define it? In comparison with any headphone you've ever heard.
I read some report that said the treble is peaky because the upper mid is too recessed. Is this true in your opinion?

Treble is just fine. Mind you, I'm extremely sensitive to a harsh treble and it's one of the main criterias for me when choosing a headphone.

X2 reminds me the HD600 with a MUCH better low end, great detail, instrument separation and almost 3D imaging, creating a speaker-like soundstage.
It's a better balanced and more versatile headphone. I'd second every word in the Tyll's review, except that I haven't noticed any treble edginess at all.
They're one of the least fatiguing cans from everything I ever had.

HD650 lacks drive and spark compared to it, sounds a bit wooly and not as enthusiastic.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #6,333 of 15,268

dt880 won't complement a grado. Well... maybe it kinda does. But I'm looking for something slightly warmer. Not bass-cannon but something warm-ish. Owned the he-400i, not a fan of Hifiman fit. It's turrible, as Charles Barkley would say. I've audition hd600 a few times and I already have a ma900 so hd600 is sort of redundant in that aspect.

Does X2 even need an amp?

its not a must have, but they will sound better wuth one.

you can start with the X2 alone and buy a DAC/amp later on.

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #6,334 of 15,268

Treble is just fine. Mind you, I'm extremely sensitive to a harsh treble and it's one of the main criterias for me when choosing a headphone.

X2 reminds me the HD600 with a MUCH better low end, great detail, instrument separation and almost 3D imaging, creating a speaker-like soundstage.
It's a better balanced and more versatile headphone. I'd second every word in the Tyll's review, except that I haven't noticed any treble edginess at all.
They're one of the least fatiguing cans from everything I ever had.

HD650 lacks drive and spark compared to it, sounds a bit wooly and not as enthusiastic.

Cool. Probably buy them tomorrow, we'll see. My only worry right now is the inkbleed issue in case I'm not lucky, can't return stuffs where I'm at. (And the rumour that Fidelio x2 is end-of-lifeish...)

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #6,335 of 15,268

its not a must have, but they will sound better wuth one.

you can start with the X2 alone and buy a DAC/amp later on.

It really depends on how decent your current source is.  The X2 really doesn't benefit from amping, and it's pretty easy to drive.

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #6,338 of 15,268
I haven't noticed any "inkbleed" or any other issues mentioned in this thread... have zero problems with mine.

I also don't think EOL is close. X2 is still pretty new and selling well, it doesn't have any glaring issues, like X1 did.
So there is no pressure for a successor yet, from either technical or marketing standpoint.

Having said that, Philips is already working on X3, I'm sure. And maybe now aiming a $600+ market, who knows...
They had to build the trust equity within Head-Fi community first... I have to say they've been quite successful so far.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #6,339 of 15,268
And to be honest, X2 is such a fine headphone that in my opinion we're all witnessing a birth of a new classic here, just like HD600.
New and (arguably) better headphones will be released, but X2 would always have its place. It's here to stay, folks..

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #6,340 of 15,268
  And to be honest, X2 is such a fine headphone that in my opinion we're all witnessing a birth of a new classic here, just like HD600.
New and (arguably) better headphones will be released, but X2 would always have its place. It's here to stay, folks..

Didn't somebody said tens of pages ago that they e-mailed Phillips something about something and then from Phillips response the poster infer that it's about to be discontinued or something?
I read it around September so the post must not have been more than 10 to 30 or so pages back...

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #6,341 of 15,268

Didn't somebody said tens of pages ago that they e-mailed Phillips something about something and then from Phillips response the poster infer that it's about to be discontinued or something?
I read it around September so the post must not have been more than 10 to 30 or so pages back...

That would be an extremely dumb and highly unlikely statement from ANY manufacturer, that their product is going to be soon discontinued.
It would inevitably jeopardize the sales of current (and well received) product, basically shooting themselves in a foot. So I really doubt it.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #6,342 of 15,268

Cool. Probably buy them tomorrow, we'll see. My only worry right now is the inkbleed issue in case I'm not lucky, can't return stuffs where I'm at. (And the rumour that Fidelio x2 is end-of-lifeish...)

The ink bleed is a non-problem. You can just wash the pads in a mild soap solution (you'll going to need to do this sometimes anyway)

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #6,343 of 15,268

You mean this?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/723025/philips-fidelio-x2/5970#post_11929440
I'm thinking it's probably some misinformed employee or something.  It hasn't been that long after the X2's launch, and Philips isn't Apple or anything, releasing a new product every year.

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #6,344 of 15,268
Hmmm...

I'm running from a Mac which has a decent soundcard. If I could only get one, should I go for the Magni or Modi. I would be planning on getting the other later. I was thinking amp would be the one to go to first because I do have an E7.

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #6,345 of 15,268
Anyone have some thoughts on the X2s replacing my DT990 250OHMs?
I have an O2 amp, and lately the DT990's highs have started to get a bit fatiguing for me.
Is the X2 a worthy upgrade, and would the price justify upgrading? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back