Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 11, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #6,181 of 15,268
  I don't believe either of you have done double blind abx testing?
Anyways, let's not bring up this argument again.

Some of us just HATE to see money wasted.
L3000.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #6,182 of 15,268
Hey everyone. I need help upgrading my set-up.

I recently had randomly walked into a hi fi store in a city I was visiting for a day and by chance I had the chance to audition really high-end equipment for the first time.

In a kind of noisy environment, I listen for about half an hour to an HD-800 hooked to the Sennheiser amp that's made for it I believe hooked to some 2000 euro streamer DAC thing. I was excited.

It was playing a random playlist, so I was constantly skipping to find songs I knew. Due to the noisy environment and my inferior ears, I found the SQ on most songs only slightly better than my set up  (X2 + Fiio E10k + Spotify out of a macbook), I noticed mostly better imaging, and more space in every direction; but then I heard some hard rock and a metal song that I'd heard live,, and I'll be damned, it was as if I was in that concert again!  It was sublime. The kick drum and cymbals sounded too real.  I immediately listened to the same song on my fidelio X2 when I got home, and to my disappointment, it was in fact an inferior experience.

So now I'm thinking to upgrade my set-up (not the headphone though), but I'm not sure which is my weakest link; is it my source, or DAC/amp? Any ideas?

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #6,183 of 15,268
  Hey everyone. I need help upgrading my set-up.

I recently had randomly walked into a hi fi store in a city I was visiting for a day and by chance I had the chance to audition really high-end equipment for the first time.

In a kind of noisy environment, I listen for about half an hour to an HD-800 hooked to the Sennheiser amp that's made for it I believe hooked to some 2000 euro streamer DAC thing. I was excited.

It was playing a random playlist, so I was constantly skipping to find songs I knew. Due to the noisy environment and my inferior ears, I found the SQ on most songs only slightly better than my set up  (X2 + Fiio E10k + Spotify out of a macbook), I noticed mostly better imaging, and more space in every direction; but then I heard some hard rock and a metal song that I'd heard live,, and I'll be damned, it was as if I was in that concert again!  It was sublime. The kick drum and cymbals sounded too real.  I immediately listened to the same song on my fidelio X2 when I got home, and to my disappointment, it was in fact an inferior experience.

So now I'm thinking to upgrade my set-up (not the headphone though), but I'm not sure which is my weakest link; is it my source, or DAC/amp? Any ideas?

I would start with the source material, spotify is fantastic for casual listening but its a far cry from lossless.  If you are "stuck with streaming" and don't have a good source for FLAC files, look at the Tidal service as it is FLAC based.  After that look at replacing your DAC/AMP combo.  A good step up would be a schiit stack (Magni/Modi 2) or an O2/ODAC combo, or one of the Audio-gd all in ones.  But there is a lot of ground to cover between your system and a dealer setup with an HD800.  There is probably $5000 in that chain.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #6,184 of 15,268
My X2 is arriving today. It's been a long time since I bought a new hi-end'ish headphone... Can't wait.

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #6,186 of 15,268
  I would start with the source material, spotify is fantastic for casual listening but its a far cry from lossless.  If you are "stuck with streaming" and don't have a good source for FLAC files, look at the Tidal service as it is FLAC based.  After that look at replacing your DAC/AMP combo.  A good step up would be a schiit stack (Magni/Modi 2) or an O2/ODAC combo, or one of the Audio-gd all in ones.  But there is a lot of ground to cover between your system and a dealer setup with an HD800.  There is probably $5000 in that chain.

I'm afraid It's kind of a catch-22 if I get Tidal lossless with the same DAC/amp. If I don't notice any difference, I'll probably assume the DAC/amp isn't doing it any justice.  I did try the free month already without noticing difference over spotify, but I can't seem to remember if I had the same set-up back then.  Though I do remember failing the online Tidal test with this set-up,  :frowning2:    I'll have to try again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #6,187 of 15,268

I'm afraid It's kind of a catch-22 if I get Tidal lossless with the same DAC/amp. If I don't notice any difference, I'll probably assume the DAC/amp isn't doing it any justice.  I did try the free month already without noticing difference over spotify, but I can't seem to remember if I had the same set-up back then.  Though I do remember failing the online Tidal test with this set-up,  :frowning2:    I'll have to try again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

It's extremely difficult to tell the difference between FLAC and properly encoded 320 kbps mp3.  If you're happy with spotify, stay with that.  Also, it's less expensive.

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #6,188 of 15,268
Fiio E10k is in and I can finally hear the difference between the athm50 and fidelio x2!

The fidelio x2 is so much smoother, its not as harsh as the m50. I am listening to Nelly Furtado-Showtime on Tidal and the cymbals on the fidelio x2 are more recessed and not as annoying and in your face as the m50. The sound stage is noticeably larger and overall I will say its a much more pleasing listening experience and not as tiring as the m50. I can finally say I'm glad I made this purchase.

Also listening to the cups music video its gives a more realistic sound with the x2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmSbXsFE3l8&index=3&list=WL

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #6,191 of 15,268

They're here. Going through my favorite tracks now...

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #6,192 of 15,268
They really do remind me my old HD600... but with a much better, meatier bass foundation. Like them so far!

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #6,193 of 15,268
Compared to LCD-2F - more air around instruments, much wider soundstage. LCD-2 feels a bit claustrophobic compared to them. Better bass!! I like the mids better too... LCD-2F feels a bit shouty on higher volume levels (and it doesn't sound nearly as good on low levels), so it's getting tiresome in a while. X2 on the other hand sounds great when cranked up - like a pair of good speakers, they have presence and sense of grandeur.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #6,195 of 15,268

Guess again.

Let's leave that for him to decide.  I thought you said the X2 didn't sound great in your opinion?

Compared to LCD-2F - more air around instruments, much wider soundstage. LCD-2 feels a bit claustrophobic compared to them. Better bass!! I like the mids better too... LCD-2F feels a bit shouty on higher volume levels (and it doesn't sound nearly as good on low levels), so it's getting tiresome in a while. X2 on the other hand sounds great when cranked up - like a pair of good speakers, they have presence and sense of grandeur.

Is this for the LCD or the X2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back