Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 8, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #6,121 of 15,268
If I didn't have the athm50 I would say they are fantastic. I hear all these fantastic reviews and I'm inclined to return these and buy another direct from Amazon in fear I have fakes.

I read your other posts about the X2. I also have the glued on pads and the sticker with the PY1A... serial number on my less than a month old X2/00 (with means European version). I do not believe you got fakes ones because I am absolutely sure I did not. I can compare them directly to my X1 and the build is identical in every detail. I got mine directly from Amazon in Germany.

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #6,122 of 15,268
The build quality does feel right, I guess my worry of fakes is I'm not hearing what other people are stating. I'm probably just in doubt or denial that I can't hear the fantastic difference they provide. I will listen to a flac song like Fleetwood Mac The Chain and go gee these sound great. then I'll switch to the athm50 and think hmm they sound almost the same. This isn't bad because the athm50 doesn't sound bad I just expected more.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #6,124 of 15,268
As far as laptop HO goes the Mac is pretty decent but in the grand scheme of possible things you could power the headphones with...

a laptop headphone out would be just about dead last I would utilize.  Second only to my cheap Asus 7" tablet, that is unlistenable due to system noise.

The X2 really doesn't take much to get the best out of it so look into something from FiiO (E10K jumps to mind) and then listen again.  Amazon has a pretty good return policy so you would have little to no exposure if you still don't notice a difference.  

Normally I would just chalk it up to "different strokes for different folks" but the X2 is really a gem and I've purchased more than my fair share of headphones.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #6,125 of 15,268
I know sound is subjective,but what are the differences you hear. Perhaps I can focus more on those to see if I can reach th eureka moment.

These are what I think the most important advantages of X2:
Larger soundstage
Openess and airiness
Better imaging
Better bass extension
More accurate bass, better texturing
More detailed
Better balance across the frequency range
Less artificial sounding (M50 is grainier in the midrange and in the treble)

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #6,126 of 15,268
Given that the 13th is my last day to return the x2 I will most likely keep them. I was looking into a fiio e18 or e17k alpen 2 a while back b/c my note4 snapdragon has a pretty bad dac. I thought that my rxv1800 wouldn't be too bad since it has a burr brown 192/24 dac though my understanding is avr headphone outputs aren't the best. I will probably get the dac and give it a shot what would be better suited both are the same price.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #6,127 of 15,268
Given that the 13th is my last day to return the x2 I will most likely keep them. I was looking into a fiio e18 or e17k alpen 2 a while back b/c my note4 snapdragon has a pretty bad dac. I thought that my rxv1800 wouldn't be too bad since it has a burr brown 192/24 dac though my understanding is avr headphone outputs aren't the best. I will probably get the dac and give it a shot what would be better suited both are the same price.

The issue with A/V Receiver outs is that they vary WIDELY in quality and finding information on them is usually quite difficult.  My X2's sound quite good directly out of my Denon Receiver (7 years old) but they sound significantly better out of my Lyr2 and even the E12A.  I have a feeling that the Denon's output impedance is quite high (as are a lot of receivers/integrated amps) as the bass is a little boomy and lacking in impact.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #6,128 of 15,268

The E17k Alpen 2 is on Massdrop RIGHT NOW!

199.99 if the lowest price is unlocked, which is almost guaranteed, seeing how popular it is.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #6,131 of 15,268
Ok I just bought a fiio e10k since these can ship faster. Plus I don't see myself using my athm50 or x2 outside of the house.

I have read the previous comments from you not being too happy with your X2 purchase.

I would like to add the following:
 I am sure, an amp will improve the sound. But X2 is very 'Hi-Fi' sounding straight out of almost any source.
I do not own the m50, but I do own a M-100. Bass is slightly more enjoyable on the M-100. But in everything else X2 just spanks the M-100. (Mids, highs, space, naturalness, balance, imaging, etc. ALL the rest.) And being in this hobby for more and more years teaches me bass is just one of all the mentioned aspects of overall listening experience. (I still love bass, that is why I have got X2 and M-100, not K702 and SRH940 for instance. But bass is just one of the many amazing attributes of sound.) And X2 gives you more access to all of it it than m50 or M-100.
(Might worth to mention, that most of the reviews prefer M-100 over m50 in overall sound quality.)

So my advice would be to be patient, and give it some time. The amp will be an improvement, but not the clue of understanding X2 (or opened Hi-Fi headphone sound in general.) You have to get the taste of it. Like no child was ever born loving blue cheese or beer or islay single malt whiskey. But as we spend more time with experiencing the world, we discover the joy in less known, less popular tastes, activities, experiences. This is called the refinement process of our taste.

X2, and most of the opened back Hi-Fi cans are not just one, but many steps further from the m50. (Or from any closed cans.)
They are a different world.
 You might have expected fireworks and candies from X2.
 Instead of sinking into this disappointment I would suggest to sink into the details of sound what X2 provides.

I would suggest to give it a few days, and than report back please. :)

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #6,132 of 15,268
So after listening to my fidelio X2 for almost a month I have come to this conclusion. The headphones are very comfortabe, but sound wise they don't seem to be a major upgrade from my athm50. The sound stage seems a little larger and the highs are not as sharp. I thought as an open back they were supposed to sound like listening to a set of speakers. I'm also using a media bridge cable, as mentioned before my stock cable measured in at 1.1 ohms with the mediabridge cable at .8 ohms. I have been driving these with my retina macbook pro and my Yamaha rxv1800. Am I missing something here? Ocd that I may have fakes I opened them and saw a Phillips sticker on the driver. I compared them to a disassembly pic of an x1 and they seemed similar (good b/c that means they are real?)

I had the ATH-M50's in the past, and the X2's are a definite upgrade. The M50's have always been a flat sounding headphone. The bass doesn't compare to the X2's. The M50's are a studio can while the X2's are a more fun/ "bob your head" can. X2's are definitely warmer sounding than the M50's. I remember the high's being a little sharp on the M50's as well.

Also, not all open backs have large soundstages. IMO, the X2's don't have a large sound stage, it's more of a right next to your ear feel, but it is still a bigger sound stage than the M50's.

I would say your problem is the Yamaha RXV1800. But it looks like you already ordered a new FiiO E10K... Let us know if it sounds better with that pairing!

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #6,133 of 15,268
Anyone compared X2 to Audeze LCD-2F? I know it's a long shot, but I'm mulling an idea of downgrading my main open cans to something cheaper/lighter/different. But fun.

Side note - my closed cans are M50x and I like them alot. Just so you have an idea.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #6,134 of 15,268
Anyone compared X2 to Audeze LCD-2F? I know it's a long shot, but I'm mulling an idea of downgrading my main open cans to something cheaper/lighter/different. But fun.

Side note - my closed cans are M50x and I like them alot. Just so you have an idea.

I've listened to both, but have not compared them directly side-by-side. BUT, here goes:

In my opinion, the LCD-2.2 are superior in sound to X2, but that's expected... Both are warm sounding cans that you can listen for hours without fatigue. I think the LCD's signature soothing-ness is quite superb. Soundstage on the LCD2.2's is a little larger compared to the X2's. X2's soundstage has a really close next to your ear feeling. However, they're both good. Bass is definitely more defined and accurate on the LCD-2.2, but has less impact than the X2's. (There's always the misconception that the LCD 2.2's are bass heavy headphones). The X2's bass sounds a little boomy in comparison. The midrange of the X2 also sounds a little artificial when compared to summit-fi cans. I thought the midrange of the 2.2's were splendid. I really have no opinion on the highs. They're both good. X2's are definitely a fun set of cans, but downgrading from something like the LCD-2.2, you might end up feeling disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the X2's sound fantastic, and are everything you said: "cheap, light, different, and fun". So if you're willing to sacrifice some sound quality for that, you'll be happy. Besides, after listening to it for awhile your ears will "burn" them in too. The X2's are amazing for only $300. Oh, and they're definitely a lot more comfortable than the LCD-2.2's.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #6,135 of 15,268
Thanks. I might give them a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back