Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 23, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #6,001 of 15,268
I've got the pads but I use them on my Takstar Pro80's, Ultrasone DJ1 and Fostex T50RP. The HM5 pads are universally praised for being very comfortable.

I'm also looking for a pair of replacement pads, preferably in another colour than black. But I'm not sure if the HM5 pads will change the sound signature, that would be a big turn off since I really like the sound from the X2's as it is.
Anyone tried any of the replacement pads for the X2's?

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #6,002 of 15,268
I can't determine if i have imbalance or not. I'll test them some more.

I haven't used the SE535 for some time, so i'll compare them tomorrow. My biggest issue with the SE535 are the lack of bass and way to much trebble for my ears. I have to use them with an EQ. The SE846 is more to my liking after comparing the two. I love iem's but i have issues with ear itching after short time use.

I didn't listen to the X2 before buying them, so i'm happy that they are this good.

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #6,003 of 15,268
Hey so I get these today and I have some questions/issues.

First of all mine seem to be slightly unbalanced with the right earcup being a bit louder.
Secondly the mids and highs on these sound super muffled compared to my ath-m50x mdr1a's and takstar pro 80s.
Does this get better with burn in or do I have a defective unit?

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #6,004 of 15,268
I'm also looking for a pair of replacement pads, preferably in another colour than black. But I'm not sure if the HM5 pads will change the sound signature, that would be a big turn off since I really like the sound from the X2's as it is.
Anyone tried any of the replacement pads for the X2's?

Iirc the ones that have changed to the HM5 pads report of slightly looser bass and a slightly overall worse sound. I'm sure I haven't seen anyone reporting of better sound after changing.

Personally I love the comfort of tje X2's as is so I see no need to change the pads.

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #6,005 of 15,268
  I can't determine if i have imbalance or not. I'll test them some more.

I haven't used the SE535 for some time, so i'll compare them tomorrow. My biggest issue with the SE535 are the lack of bass and way to much trebble for my ears. I have to use them with an EQ. The SE846 is more to my liking after comparing the two. I love iem's but i have issues with ear itching after short time use.

I didn't listen to the X2 before buying them, so i'm happy that they are this good.

There's too much treble with the SE535???
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE535.pdf
What?
There might be an issue with your unit or something.  They actually suffer from a lack of treble.
The X2 has much more treble than the SE535.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX2.pdf

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #6,006 of 15,268
  Hey so I get these today and I have some questions/issues.

First of all mine seem to be slightly unbalanced with the right earcup being a bit louder.
Secondly the mids and highs on these sound super muffled compared to my ath-m50x mdr1a's and takstar pro 80s.
Does this get better with burn in or do I have a defective unit?

sounds like you have a defective pair. the highs should be very crisp, although slightly rolled off. they should by no means sound "muffled" or dampened.

what you may mean, though, is that they are not sibilant. because they aren't. that doesn't mean that they are not very detailed, however

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #6,008 of 15,268
  Well If he is like me, then I would describe X2's and AKG K7xx as muffled. They have detail, but they sound muffled. To my ears. And I greatly dislike that.

Have you tried the SHP9500's? They're very detailed, far from muffled. I never heard the HD558's as muffled until I tried these. I find the HD558's closest to the HD600's in clarity until I bought these. Very good. However they don't have the bass of the X2's, but have way better clarity in the mids.

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #6,009 of 15,268
Iirc the ones that have changed to the HM5 pads report of slightly looser bass and a slightly overall worse sound. I'm sure I haven't seen anyone reporting of better sound after changing.

Personally I love the comfort of tje X2's as is so I see no need to change the pads.

Same here, I think the comfort is great! The only reason for changing pads were to get them in another colour to match an aftermarket cable. But if the sound supposedly gets worse with the replacement pads I see no reason to change them.

Sep 24, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #6,011 of 15,268
I don't find X2 muffled either. I rotate between them and T90 quite often 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #6,012 of 15,268
Hi guys. A while ago I bought a pair of akg q701 for home usage - competitive gaming, music listening and sound production sometimes. I really like the details and separation of the instruments, also positioning is better in cs go with them. But I find them a bit boring. My sennheiser amperior (and previous hd-25) and AT ath-m50 are more fun for music listening. But for home I would like to have open headphones. So my ears can breathe - you know that feel, don't you? Now I don't want to have some 'hard-to-drive' cans. And I want to dance when listen to a music - AKG just don't have that dancing punch xD

How do you think X2 or X1? Are the X2 worth extra 100$? or may be I should try other cans? (for my sound preferences - senn hd 25 are the most suitable for me so far) 

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #6,013 of 15,268
  Have you tried the SHP9500's? They're very detailed, far from muffled. I never heard the HD558's as muffled until I tried these. I find the HD558's closest to the HD600's in clarity until I bought these. Very good. However they don't have the bass of the X2's, but have way better clarity in the mids.

Yes I am actually loving the SHP9500 with a bit of a EQ. I am looking to buy HE-400i in the near future, I hope they don't feel muffled.

@sashaxxx Yeah one of my first headphones was Q701 and I must say they are pretty horrible in gaming Like CS GO. I for example cannot tell the difference between where and what. If I am short (DD2) and somebody is coming from top mid to short, what I hear is like that general direction sound is coming from 90degrees angle, where exactly no idea untill they pop out at the stairs, while you still think they are mid-ish. But with headphones like SHP9500 I can pinpoint where exactly, Top to bottom, left to right. X2's are a bit better, but no gold in gaming. From my experience so far SHP9500's are the best in gaming. Limited experience trough. Hey if you can EQ the 9500's, they are decent pair of headphones, mind you they are cheap and may sound cheap at times, but they are just awesome to my ears for music and games. And I pretty much had the same feeling with Q701's as you a bit booring, and a bit lack of bass. :D

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #6,014 of 15,268

Yes I am actually loving the SHP9500 with a bit of a EQ. I am looking to buy HE-400i in the near future, I hope they don't feel muffled.

@sashaxxx Yeah one of my first headphones was Q701 and I must say they are pretty horrible in gaming Like CS GO. I for example cannot tell the difference between where and what. If I am short (DD2) and somebody is coming from top mid to short, what I hear is like that general direction sound is coming from 90degrees angle, where exactly no idea untill they pop out at the stairs, while you still think they are mid-ish. But with headphones like SHP9500 I can pinpoint where exactly, Top to bottom, left to right. X2's are a bit better, but no gold in gaming. From my experience so far SHP9500's are the best in gaming. Limited experience trough. Hey if you can EQ the 9500's, they are decent pair of headphones, mind you they are cheap and may sound cheap at times, but they are just awesome to my ears for music and games. And I pretty much had the same feeling with Q701's as you a bit booring, and a bit lack of bass. :D

400i arent muffled.
and they are pretty good for gaming because they have good imaging, but i believe that the X2 would be a bit better for gaming due to its larger soundstage.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #6,015 of 15,268

400i arent muffled.
and they are pretty good for gaming because they have good imaging, but i believe that the X2 would be a bit better for gaming due to its larger soundstage.

Nope, I do actually own a pair of X2's and they are not bad for gaming, but I wouldn't call them good. I'm starting to think that gaming = all about imaging...I have Q701, K7xx, X2 and yet SHP9500 does a way better job at gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back