Sep 10, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #5,866 of 15,268

The tracks I posted represent my bass needs, but I also like stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcKnlhL97rs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHFCLxTkE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jxw_NAKUn0

Also some rock / metal type stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvdbDw5bXnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzm_1Tuor1A

Now that I think about it, I probably listen to tranc-y stuff, rock-ish stuff, and acoustic-y stuff in equal thirds.

By the way, my original concern was how the Fidelio compares to the Sennheiser 598. I've heard the 598 has a really good soundstage. After my frustration with my Audio Technica M50x's, which I sent back after a few weeks, I've decided that soundstage is really important to me, not just bass.

Bottom line: I love a good beat, but I want a spacious sound as well. Am I trying to eat my cake and have it too?

I would say that the X2 probably better fits your needs than the 598, but keep in mind I haven't heard the 598.  From what I've read, the 598 probably won't suit your bass needs as they are slightly lacking in punch.  The X2s are a bit north of neutral and have to potential to be more.  I feel their bass to be very satisfying.  The soundstage of the X2 doesn't leave much to be desired, as it is fairly large and great for gaming as well as orchestral pieces.

Bottom line, you can have your cake and eat it too because you can't eat cake without having it first, and if you don't, that brings up a whole ethical dilemma that I don't want to talk about right now.

You probably won't get much enthusiasm for the 598 here anyways, as this is the X2 circlejerk thread.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #5,867 of 15,268
  I would say that the X2 probably better fits your needs than the 598, but keep in mind I haven't heard the 598.  You probably won't get much enthusiasm for the 598 here anyways, as this is the X2 circlejerk thread.

Ha, good point about the bias of different threads. I've been posting in multiple threads and PM-ing people and you definitely get different ideas in different places.

I don't normally contemplate my musical interests as a whole; instead I just listen. Posting stuff like this has made me realize that I really do prefer more aggressive music in general. As in, a tad more than half of what I like is kinda intense.

Thanks anyway, all input helps me aggregate some kind of idea what I want.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #5,868 of 15,268

Ha, good point about the bias of different threads. I've been posting in multiple threads and PM-ing people and you definitely get different ideas in different places.

I don't normally contemplate my musical interests as a whole; instead I just listen. Posting stuff like this has made me realize that I really do prefer more aggressive music in general. As in, a tad more than half of what I like is kinda intense.

Thanks anyway, all input helps me aggregate some kind of idea what I want.

You might also want to check out to Sennheiser Orpheus as well, as they're going down in price due to a successor being announced, and they sound GREAT as a starter pair of headphones.  Keep in mind that you'll have to get something like the Headamp Aristaeus to power them though, which brings the price up a bit.

I also edited my previous post a bit, which addresses your issue of cake eating.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #5,869 of 15,268
  For the same reason why our food is contaminated with ingredients that shouldn't be in there. The same ingredients that can cause problems in the long run? Who knows, unnecessary ingredients in food =/= Philips Fidelio X2 earpad ink. Is it organic? Is it gluten free? Does it have high fructose corn syrup? Does it have potassium sorbate, BHT, corn syrup, or food coloring? Oh wait.

Quote:
  It will kill you as it has to dozens of Head-fiers.  It's extremely toxic and the ink contains highly radioactive Polonium, which will kill you in an agonizingly slow, painful death.

You know how the consumers who have defects with their products are MUCH more vocal than those who are satisfied?  Yeah.  I'm guessing that's the case with the Fidelio pads.  I've never personally had any issues with ink bleed, but that's just my experience.  Yours may be completely different, but I would assume the issue only affects a small percentage of X2 owners, or else this thread would have another 100 pages with all the Head-fi members who've owned the X2 complaining about them.  Also, why the heck would they use a toxic substance in something that's designed to come in contact with skin when there're completely harmless alternatives?

I don't know whether they would or would not use toxic substance or not, which is why I ask.
From googling, I've read one or two post saying Phillips have no intention to change the X2 pads either. In addition, due to severe bacterial infections in the past, my right inner ear doesn't work properly. Unrelated to that, I have what is called vestibular neurinitis... That's a big reason I'm wary about purchasing the Fidelio X2, so I figured I'd ask...

Thank you for the reply though, I appreciate it.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #5,870 of 15,268
For everyone talking about the pads

I just upgraded my X2s with Brainwavz HM5 memory foam velour pads. Best move I made, these headphones feel so much better.

Starting with comfort, these win hands down. The pads are much thicker with softer foam. My ears have plenty of room to breathe and don't hit the dust screen anymore. They feel lighter on the head and seal better compared to the original pads. The thickness makes the headband stretch out a little further than stock pads and fits better on my head. These headphones feel designed for people with larger heads and having a somewhat small head they fit better now. 

Like others reported they sound about the same as the original pads. I'd give it a 94% similarity. The bass is only slightly softer but it still sounds balanced and it's not a huge noticeable difference to my ears. They helped fix what I thought was a channel imbalance and everything sounds more to my center. I'm guessing it was seal related issue I was having with the original pads. 

Getting these pads to fit will probably give you a bit of trouble. It took me a while to get them stretched over the ear cups. Take it slow and be patient and they'll fit just fine. I rushed mine a bit and ended up breaking off the small elastic band on the that help keep the pads secure but it's not a big deal.

Overall highly recommended and these have been making my experience with the X2s much better in the long term wear. If Phillips made the plastic insert mounting rings and sold them separately to fit in other pads, mounting these would be so much easier. That or someone with a 3D printer could make a small fortune.

http://i.imgur.com/joCBlXO.jpg

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #5,871 of 15,268
For everyone talking about the pads

I just upgraded my X2s with Brainwavz HM5 memory foam velour pads. Best move I made, these headphones feel so much better.

Starting with comfort, these win hands down. The pads are much thicker with softer foam. My ears have plenty of room to breathe and don't hit the dust screen anymore. They feel lighter on the head and seal better compared to the original pads. The thickness makes the headband stretch out a little further than stock pads and fits better on my head. These headphones feel designed for people with larger heads and having a somewhat small head they fit better now. 

Like others reported they sound about the same as the original pads. I'd give it a 94% similarity. The bass is only slightly softer but it still sounds balanced and it's not a huge noticeable difference to my ears. They helped fix what I thought was a channel imbalance. To everyone talking about channel imbalance, maybe try a new pair of pads. My headphones went from sounding slightly stronger in the right ear to perfect channel balance. I think its because these pads have more room to breath and give a much better seal to my head.

Getting these pads to fit will probably give you a bit of trouble. It took me a while to get them stretched over the ear cups. Take it slow and be patient and they'll fit just fine. I rushed mine a bit and ended up breaking off the small elastic band on the that help keep the pads secure but it's not a big deal.

Overall highly recommended and these have been making my experience with the X2s much better in the long term wear. If Phillips made the plastic insert mounting rings and sold them separately to fit in other pads, mounting these would be so much easier. That or someone with a 3D printer could make a small fortune.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #5,872 of 15,268
It will kill you as it has to dozens of Head-fiers.  It's extremely toxic and the ink contains highly radioactive Polonium, which will kill you in an agonizingly slow, painful death.

You know how the consumers who have defects with their products are MUCH more vocal than those who are satisfied?  Yeah.  I'm guessing that's the case with the Fidelio pads.  I've never personally had any issues with ink bleed, but that's just my experience.  Yours may be completely different, but I would assume the issue only affects a small percentage of X2 owners, or else this thread would have another 100 pages with all the Head-fi members who've owned the X2 complaining about them.  Also, why the heck would they use a toxic substance in something that's designed to come in contact with skin when there're completely harmless alternatives?

Remember, even if there's a small chance you'll get a pair of with ink bleed, it's not zero.  The only way to find out if you're going to get a pair with ink bleed is to buy a pair yourself.
Well, uh, first of all, you probably are a basshead.  All of this music is bass-oriented.  The general consensus (and my opinion) is that a smaller, more intimate soundstage works better for bassy, electronic music like this.  
The pads are fairly large, so you probably won't have a problem with the size.  They're also extremely comforatble and wearable for long periods of time, although the velours are a bit itchy at the start.  You get used to them over time, though.  
If you want a great all-rounder that does bass excellently, the X2 is probably one of the best cans you can get atm.

Are serious sir if the earpad ink bleed it can kill you?

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #5,873 of 15,268

Have you heard any reports of dead Head-fiers and Philips faced with legal action for poisoning their customers?

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #5,874 of 15,268

I'm dead, and I don't even know it.
:wink:

The serious answer is that there have been no reported deaths lol.

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #5,875 of 15,268

The tracks I posted represent my bass needs, but I also like stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcKnlhL97rs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHFCLxTkE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jxw_NAKUn0

Also some rock / metal type stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvdbDw5bXnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzm_1Tuor1A

Now that I think about it, I probably listen to tranc-y stuff, rock-ish stuff, and acoustic-y stuff in equal thirds.

By the way, my original concern was how the Fidelio compares to the Sennheiser 598. I've heard the 598 has a really good soundstage. After my frustration with my Audio Technica M50x's, which I sent back after a few weeks, I've decided that soundstage is really important to me, not just bass.

Bottom line: I love a good beat, but I want a spacious sound as well. Am I trying to eat my cake and have it too? 

Thought I would chime in as I have owned the HD598's and now own the X1's.
It depends on what you want most out of your headphones-keep in mind at this price point no headphone will be perfect-but both are pretty darn good.
The 598"s are extremely comfortable with a very wide soundstage.I would consider these as a fantastic all around headphone as the reviews suggest,however they were not for me as I am a basshead,and the did not have the punch I was looking for.
The Philips on the other hand,are very much bass oriented and much more fun to listen to.They are also very comfortable and are well built.These are beautiful cans with a distinctive sound.The more I listen to them I am amazed how good they sound.
I also own some Audiotechnica ws55's which are bass tuned and they are hard to beat for the money $80.The M50's also get great reviews-different strokes for different folks
It sounds like the HD598's might  suit you better,but once you go X1/X2 you will never look back.
Which ever way you go you can always resale either and pretty much get your money back if you buy used.
Good luck

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #5,876 of 15,268
just buy this awesome headphone for gaming purpose the soundstage in this headphone so freaking awesome i can't gear the slightest sound in CS GO movements

btw can you guys reccomended me what type of cable will do best with fidelio x2? should canare or mogami? please advice a good reasonable prices cables

and okh yeah i am planning to take hm5 red velour replacement pad will it fit perfectly without any mods ??

and do gold and rhodium connectors have any really diffrent ??

thanks for the answear 

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #5,878 of 15,268
I have been following this thread for quite a while and, three weeks ago, I got my X2s delivered from Amazon.  Thanks to all of you for convincing me – through the information and insights you’ve provided – to pull the trigger.  I’ve been “burning-in” my X2s (and my brain’s response to them) by just putting the ‘phones on and listening to music.  I’m too old – at least my ears are – to be an audiophile and I fully expect changes to occur from listening session to listening session just as a result of my energy level, mood, ability to concentrate, etc.  In the case of the X2s, there was especially no sense in me waiting to hear them, since they sounded GREAT from the first few notes onward!  For me, they have a tremendously musical, involving and transparent delivery that makes them an ideal “open” companion to my “closed” Shure SRH-1540s.

I’ve been having lots of fun comparing the X2s to the 1540s.  The source I use is a NAD 516 BEE CD player.  I’ve got it placed in a chairside “mid-fi” setup that lets me easily move between any two (or three) headphones in combination with any of three signal chains – and play around with equalization, too.  Here’s what it looks like:

The first signal chain is NAD 516 --> Schiit Moda 2 Uber DAC (via optical interconnect) --> Behringer Mini 9-Band EQ --> HeadRoom Micro Amplifier.  In the photo above, that’s where the 1540 is plugged in.  [TOP LEFT]

The second signal chain is NAD 516 --> a second Schiit Moda 2 Uber DAC (via coaxial interconnect) --> Behringer Mini 9-Band EQ --> Schiit Magni 2 Uber Amplifier.  That’s where the X2 is plugged in.  [TOP RIGHT]

The third signal chain is from the NAD 516, via RCA interconnects, straight to a Linear Design’s Fournier HTA-2 tube amplifier (running two 12AU7s) .  It’s the compact blue unit snuggled next to the two equalizers.  I use it when I get a general hankering for some old-school tube sonics – and to tame the overall brightness of early CD recordings of classical music (especially solo piano performanceas that were miced too closely and too “hot!").

I’m retired, so I’ve had lots of time to try out the X2s with the different signal chains, all sorts of different musical genres, tweaked EQ settings, etc.  They have been rewarding time after time after time!  My favorite way to use them is to just plug ‘em in, power up the NAD and a signal chain, set the EQ to “null”/”bypass,” drop in a CD, lean back, and listen to them make recorded music come alive.  They give me chills more often than even the 1540s do, which is something I never thought would be possible.  The 1540s also offer a transcendent musical experience, but they can’t match the completely natural (to me) soundstage that’s created by the X2s.  The 1540s have a soundstage that is beautifully balanced and three-dimensional, but their closed backs move the “walls” of the listening space in quite a bit in comparison to the X2s.

In addition to making classical music sublime, the X2s also do wonderful things with EDM, dubstep, techno, and all other manner of “synthesizer” based music – and they shine, too, with good ol’ rock-and-roll – and solo and group vocals – and pop – and country – and . . . well, everything! I have not yet found a recording from which they can’t wring a great listening experience.  Of course, I haven’t made my way through all of the CDs that I’ve acquired in the last 25 years.  I am soooo glad that so many folks have decided that CDs are an archaic and useless format and have practically given them away (in pristine condition) to shops that sell used LPs and discs.  My $$$ can really go a long way now!  If you haven’t gotten rid of your CDs, then I strongly encourage you to do so immediately . . . and to send me a PM first, with a list of all that “old junk” that you want to get rid of.   ;^)

If you’re on the fence about the X2s and, like me, can’t afford and/or detect the sonic improvements offered by “high end” headphones, then jump off that fence right now and go order a set of these marvelous Fidelios!  I don’t think you’ll regret it.  If you’re going to be using them with a portable system, they will sound fine out of a phone or tablet that has a decent DAC/amp.  I’ve plugged ‘em directly into my iPhone 6+, iPad Air and new generation 128gb iPod Touch – and they sound great.  However, they will really knock your socks off if you also run the signal through a portable DAC/Amp.  Since I’ve got mostly Apple portable sources, I use an Oppo HA-2, which interfaces seamlessly with the newest IOS versions.  In partnership with the X2, it produces an immersive listening experience that credibly rivals what my chairside stuff can produce.

Of course, all of this is just my personal opinion as a non-expert, non-technical fan of headphones.  I don’t listen to “equipment,” but I do listen carefully to “music.”  And I will claim some degree of credibility on the basis of the fact I’ve been indulging in the “headphone” habit since 1959.  That was the year I got one of those newfangled transistorized portable radios that had an earbud for “private listening.” I loved it – and I’ve never gone more than a few months since then without having music plugged almost directly into my brain by way of headphones as often as possible.  

Finally, I want to share a very important update.  I have it on good authority that the only toxic ingredient in Philips' headphone pad dye is an unobtanium compound they developed.  It's called "Trollonium" and it infallibly, selectively causes a slow and excruciatingly painful death ONLY for those who willfully attempt to divert or degrade on-topic discussions of Philips products in audio enthusiasts' forums.  My only regret is that we can't get online access to watch Trollonium working its wonderful magic!

Here’s hoping you enjoy your Philips Fidelio X2s – or whatever else can give you chills.  Keep listenin’ and keep smilin’!  =8^)

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #5,879 of 15,268
  I have been following this thread for quite a while and, three weeks ago, I got my X2s delivered from Amazon.  Thanks to all of you for convincing me – through the information and insights you’ve provided – to pull the trigger.  I’ve been “burning-in” my X2s (and my brain’s response to them) by just putting the ‘phones on and listening to music.  I’m too old – at least my ears are – to be an audiophile and I fully expect changes to occur from listening session to listening session just as a result of my energy level, mood, ability to concentrate, etc.  In the case of the X2s, there was especially no sense in me waiting to hear them, since they sounded GREAT from the first few notes onward!  For me, they have a tremendously musical, involving and transparent delivery that makes them an ideal “open” companion to my “closed” Shure SRH-1540s.

I’ve been having lots of fun comparing the X2s to the 1540s.  The source I use is a NAD 516 BEE CD player.  I’ve got it placed in a chairside “mid-fi” setup that lets me easily move between any two (or three) headphones in combination with any of three signal chains – and play around with equalization, too.  Here’s what it looks like:

The first signal chain is NAD 516 --> Schiit Moda 2 Uber DAC (via optical interconnect) --> Behringer Mini 9-Band EQ --> HeadRoom Micro Amplifier.  In the photo above, that’s where the 1540 is plugged in.  [TOP LEFT]

The second signal chain is NAD 516 --> a second Schiit Moda 2 Uber DAC (via coaxial interconnect) --> Behringer Mini 9-Band EQ --> Schiit Magni 2 Uber Amplifier.  That’s where the X2 is plugged in.  [TOP RIGHT]

The third signal chain is from the NAD 516, via RCA interconnects, straight to a Linear Design’s Fournier HTA-2 tube amplifier (running two 12AU7s) .  It’s the compact blue unit snuggled next to the two equalizers.  I use it when I get a general hankering for some old-school tube sonics – and to tame the overall brightness of early CD recordings of classical music (especially solo piano performanceas that were miced too closely and too “hot!").

I’m retired, so I’ve had lots of time to try out the X2s with the different signal chains, all sorts of different musical genres, tweaked EQ settings, etc.  They have been rewarding time after time after time!  My favorite way to use them is to just plug ‘em in, power up the NAD and a signal chain, set the EQ to “null”/”bypass,” drop in a CD, lean back, and listen to them make recorded music come alive.  They give me chills more often than even the 1540s do, which is something I never thought would be possible.  The 1540s also offer a transcendent musical experience, but they can’t match the completely natural (to me) soundstage that’s created by the X2s.  The 1540s have a soundstage that is beautifully balanced and three-dimensional, but their closed backs move the “walls” of the listening space in quite a bit in comparison to the X2s.

In addition to making classical music sublime, the X2s also do wonderful things with EDM, dubstep, techno, and all other manner of “synthesizer” based music – and they shine, too, with good ol’ rock-and-roll – and solo and group vocals – and pop – and country – and . . . well, everything! I have not yet found a recording from which they can’t wring a great listening experience.  Of course, I haven’t made my way through all of the CDs that I’ve acquired in the last 25 years.  I am soooo glad that so many folks have decided that CDs are an archaic and useless format and have practically given them away (in pristine condition) to shops that sell used LPs and discs.  My $$$ can really go a long way now!  If you haven’t gotten rid of your CDs, then I strongly encourage you to do so immediately . . . and to send me a PM first, with a list of all that “old junk” that you want to get rid of.   ;^)

If you’re on the fence about the X2s and, like me, can’t afford and/or detect the sonic improvements offered by “high end” headphones, then jump off that fence right now and go order a set of these marvelous Fidelios!  I don’t think you’ll regret it.  If you’re going to be using them with a portable system, they will sound fine out of a phone or tablet that has a decent DAC/amp.  I’ve plugged ‘em directly into my iPhone 6+, iPad Air and new generation 128gb iPod Touch – and they sound great.  However, they will really knock your socks off if you also run the signal through a portable DAC/Amp.  Since I’ve got mostly Apple portable sources, I use an Oppo HA-2, which interfaces seamlessly with the newest IOS versions.  In partnership with the X2, it produces an immersive listening experience that credibly rivals what my chairside stuff can produce.

Of course, all of this is just my personal opinion as a non-expert, non-technical fan of headphones.  I don’t listen to “equipment,” but I do listen carefully to “music.”  And I will claim some degree of credibility on the basis of the fact I’ve been indulging in the “headphone” habit since 1959.  That was the year I got one of those newfangled transistorized portable radios that had an earbud for “private listening.” I loved it – and I’ve never gone more than a few months since then without having music plugged almost directly into my brain by way of headphones as often as possible.  

Finally, I want to share a very important update.  I have it on good authority that the only toxic ingredient in Philips' headphone pad dye is an unobtanium compound they developed.  It's called "Trollonium" and it infallibly, selectively causes a slow and excruciatingly painful death ONLY for those who willfully attempt to divert or degrade on-topic discussions of Philips products in audio enthusiasts' forums.  My only regret is that we can't get online access to watch Trollonium working its wonderful magic!

Here’s hoping you enjoy your Philips Fidelio X2s – or whatever else can give you chills.  Keep listenin’ and keep smilin’!  =8^)

Awesome post. If I didn't already have the X1's, then your post would push me over the edge to pulling the trigger on the X2's (although I'm sure it will happen some day anyway).

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #5,880 of 15,268
Kev got me thinkin' - if using a Modi 2 Uber, which connection type is going to offer the best sound quality?  I'd assume optical like he's using, although USB is pretty much the standard nowadays.  I don't know if it's the standard because it's so universal or if it offers the best sound quality.

I know PC to USB can sometimes have interference, which can be cleaned up with something like the $99 Schiit Wyrd, but would it be better to just skip the Wyrd and go optical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back