Philips Fidelio X2?!
May 9, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #4,666 of 15,268
I didn't want to spend this much on headphones but I ended up ordering some from Amazon Italy. Worked out £181.

Quite a distance to travel but it was the best price.  

Originally I was planning to spend around £140 max and that was on some AKG K702's to replaced my  Audio Technica AD700's.   I only went with the AD700's because a lot of gamers used them, but I realised I hardly even play much time playing FPS and spend more time playing music and watching movies than gaming.

I'm sure these will be good whatever I use them for. 

I plan getting a decent amp later. That is one thing that swayed me is that they don't need much power with these.

Anyone know the warranty on these hp's?

One thing that concerns me a little is the weight. 380g is that right?  AD700's are supposedly 280g and I don't find them heavy at all.  100g difference though.. 

May 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #4,667 of 15,268
  I didn't want to spend this much on headphones but I ended up ordering some from Amazon Italy. Worked out £181.

Quite a distance to travel but it was the best price.  

Originally I was planning to spend around £140 max and that was on some AKG K702's to replaced my  Audio Technica AD700's.   I only went with the AD700's because a lot of gamers used them, but I realised I hardly even play much time playing FPS and spend more time playing music and watching movies than gaming.

I'm sure these will be good whatever I use them for. 

I plan getting a decent amp later. That is one thing that swayed me is that they don't need much power with these.

Anyone know the warranty on these hp's?

One thing that concerns me a little is the weight. 380g is that right?  AD700's are supposedly 280g and I don't find them heavy at all.  100g difference though.. 

The people who think these are heavy would probably break their neck wearing a baseball cap.

May 9, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #4,668 of 15,268
The people who think these are heavy would probably break their neck wearing a baseball cap.

It's quite heavy compared to others hp. For daylong use, my dt770 is way more comfortable but for few hours listening, X2 is okay

May 10, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #4,670 of 15,268
The X2s are comfortable but are heftier than HD598s. Friends who tried my X2 didn't notice the weight but did say it was really comfortable in comparison to ATH-M50s. The weight gives minor discomfort personally because I'm not accustomed to the weight. I've worn it for an hour or two, but no extended listening sessions yet.

May 10, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #4,674 of 15,268
The X2s are comfortable but are heftier than HD598s. Friends who tried my X2 didn't notice the weight but did say it was really comfortable in comparison to ATH-M50s. The weight gives minor discomfort personally because I'm not accustomed to the weight. I've worn it for an hour or two, but no extended listening sessions yet.

Since u hv the m50 as I do, do u agree that the X2 has a lot more bass?

May 10, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #4,676 of 15,268
It seems a lot of people are stuck choosing between these or the HD650. Here's some comparisons. 

So I currently own the X2, HD650, HE-500, SRH1540. I've owned a lot more in the past and have also had experience with elects.

So during comparisons it's important to listen to that headphone and nothing else to adjust. Then when change happens it's easier to tell the difference. So I was coming from the HE-500 and right away the X2 sounded grainy, sharp and thin. The heavy hitting planar def showed it's weight!

After adjustments and hours later my brain adjusted and I got to hear the X2. It sounded middle of the road, mid-fi. Good clarity but at a cost of a dry sound which I'm not a fan of. Soundstage is medium sized.. around the size of the HD600 but with a more obvious sense of clarity. The HE-500 had better depth and the width was about the same. The bass was pretty deep, but like all dynamics, it rolls off. Mid bass was quite linear. The mids sound dry, not smooth or effortless; quite forced and brassy. Treble was energetic with a decent sense of air.

The HD650 tag teams with the HE-500. When I want comfort  I reach for the 650. When I go to the HD650 I get mids that compete with the heavy hitting planar. Right away when I put the HD650 on, everything was smoother, more romantic and euphoric. Gone was the roughness of the X2 and replaced with these vocals that reach out through this wall of warmth. They sound like they want to seduce you. 

The sub bass was a tad more extended on the X2 but the mid bass was all Senns. The HD650 is warm and smooth, X2 is leaning towards being on the balanced side but is dry and rough sounding. 

Treble is no contest, the HD650 is smoother, more refined and hifi. The X2 is more lower mid fi while the HD650 gives you that refinement and resolution. Soundstage is different. HD650 has a average stage with a thick sound. X2 has a more pushed back sound but it doesn't project out. I prefer the HD650's personally.

I just can't really pick the X2 over anything other than being slightly more detailed due to it's thinner, more dry nature. I think the X2 is good if you like that type of sound. The mids on the HD650 just blow the X2 away it's almost laughable to compare the deep, voices of the Senns.

My setup was Fiio X3II> Vali > Phones

I selected this setup after going through thousands of pounds of gear because  I like warm and smooth.

Hope this helps.

May 11, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #4,677 of 15,268

Hope this helps.

Well, it kinda helps me :D. After reading all the reviews I though I'd be alone with my opinion about the X2. At least it taught me a lesson. Now I know not to sell my phones beforehand just because reviews hype the others. Well, maybe I'll get rid of these X2 and try HD650 as I had HD600 earlier (and shouldn't have  sold them).

I've been actually thinking if Philips had bribed the best known/most respected headphone reviewers out there to get good reviews. That's how disappointed I have been with these :)

May 11, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #4,678 of 15,268
So in other words, you bought a pair of X2 that you find pretty dull and certainly disappointing in comparison with your other cans... just to write this review? I am getting confused, why not return a pair of new headphones that doesn't bear a single positive advantage over those you already own? I find this odd really.

May 11, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #4,679 of 15,268
  It seems a lot of people are stuck choosing between these or the HD650. Here's some comparisons. 

So I currently own the X2, HD650, HE-500, SRH1540. I've owned a lot more in the past and have also had experience with elects.

So during comparisons it's important to listen to that headphone and nothing else to adjust. Then when change happens it's easier to tell the difference. So I was coming from the HE-500 and right away the X2 sounded grainy, sharp and thin. The heavy hitting planar def showed it's weight!

After adjustments and hours later my brain adjusted and I got to hear the X2. It sounded middle of the road, mid-fi. Good clarity but at a cost of a dry sound which I'm not a fan of. Soundstage is medium sized.. around the size of the HD600 but with a more obvious sense of clarity. The HE-500 had better depth and the width was about the same. The bass was pretty deep, but like all dynamics, it rolls off. Mid bass was quite linear. The mids sound dry, not smooth or effortless; quite forced and brassy. Treble was energetic with a decent sense of air.

The HD650 tag teams with the HE-500. When I want comfort  I reach for the 650. When I go to the HD650 I get mids that compete with the heavy hitting planar. Right away when I put the HD650 on, everything was smoother, more romantic and euphoric. Gone was the roughness of the X2 and replaced with these vocals that reach out through this wall of warmth. They sound like they want to seduce you. 

The sub bass was a tad more extended on the X2 but the mid bass was all Senns. The HD650 is warm and smooth, X2 is leaning towards being on the balanced side but is dry and rough sounding. 

Treble is no contest, the HD650 is smoother, more refined and hifi. The X2 is more lower mid fi while the HD650 gives you that refinement and resolution. Soundstage is different. HD650 has a average stage with a thick sound. X2 has a more pushed back sound but it doesn't project out. I prefer the HD650's personally.

I just can't really pick the X2 over anything other than being slightly more detailed due to it's thinner, more dry nature. I think the X2 is good if you like that type of sound. The mids on the HD650 just blow the X2 away it's almost laughable to compare the deep, voices of the Senns.

My setup was Fiio X3II> Vali > Phones

I selected this setup after going through thousands of pounds of gear because  I like warm and smooth.

Hope this helps.

So in other words, you bought a pair of X2 that you find pretty dull, "middle of the road, mid-fi"  and certainly disappointing in comparison with your other high end cans... for what? just to write this review? I am getting confused, why not return a pair of new headphones that doesn't bear any advantages over those you already own? I find this odd really.

May 11, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #4,680 of 15,268

Well, it kinda helps me :D. After reading all the reviews I though I'd be alone with my opinion about the X2. At least it taught me a lesson. Now I know not to sell my phones beforehand just because reviews hype the others. Well, maybe I'll get rid of these X2 and try HD650 as I had HD600 earlier (and shouldn't have  sold them).

I've been actually thinking if Philips had bribed the best known/most respected headphone reviewers out there to get good reviews. That's how disappointed I have been with these :)

So, let me confirm if I understood correctly! You finally found somebody whose opinion make you justify your decision to do the same mistake again by selling a headphone (X2) before trying another hyped one (HD650)! That's the message you wanted to share with this community in your post, right? Just wondering, are you going to accuse in bribery reviewers, if you don't like HD650?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back