Philips Fidelio X2?!
May 7, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #4,651 of 15,268
Hey I'm kind of a basshead, I think.

I heard that the X2 have a dry and punchy bass. I am now insecure because I would like to have also a 'subthreshold' bass and not only bass when it's absolutely emphasized in the track. I hope you know what I mean. Can you please help me out with this one. And how is their bass compared to the DT990?
Thank you!

May 7, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #4,652 of 15,268
  Hey I'm kind of a basshead, I think.

I heard that the X2 have a dry and punchy bass. I am now insecure because I would like to have also a 'subthreshold' bass and not only bass when it's absolutely emphasized in the track. I hope you know what I mean. Can you please help me out with this one. And how is their bass compared to the DT990?
Thank you!

The problem here is your idea of what's a lot of bass will be different from someone else.

I like a lot of bass but I wouldn't have called myself a basshead, something I've had to rethink, because these did not have anywhere near enough bass for me. From your description of your bass needs I don't think they will suit you either.

May 7, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #4,653 of 15,268

The problem here is your idea of what's a lot of bass will be different from someone else.

I like a lot of bass but I wouldn't have called myself a basshead, something I've had to rethink, because these did not have anywhere near enough bass for me. From your description of your bass needs I don't think they will suit you either.

This is really true. For me these headphones have too much bass so I'll probably sell them because of that.

The biggest problem lies with some pop/rock tracks that have the bass too emphasized so the sound is really boomy with these. But also lots of songs sound too bassy even when the bass is mastered on the "right" level so I can't blame it on the mastering alone.

May 7, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #4,654 of 15,268
  This is really true. For me these headphones have too much bass so I'll probably sell them because of that.

The biggest problem lies with some pop/rock tracks that have the bass too emphasized so the sound is really boomy with these. But also lots of songs sound too bassy even when the bass is mastered on the "right" level so I can't blame it on the mastering alone.

You should get the X1's then! 
wink.gif

If the X2's are anything like the X1's, then the quality/quantity of the bass can be affected quite a bit by the source components (not so perfect with some gear, but perfect for me with other gear).

And yes, there is that thing called "preferences" that comes into play.

May 8, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #4,656 of 15,268
I recently purchased a schiit stack that consists of the vali and modi and paired it with the X2; I am definitely impressed with what I am hearing. I think my sennheisers hd 600 might have to go............ 

May 8, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #4,657 of 15,268
  I couldn't explain my metal dissatisfaction. I partially attributed it to the fact that my ears have evolved and they can now detect how badly recorded most metal albums are, which I'm sure is true to some extent, but even the few metal albums that seem to have good separation and dynamics still sound so dull. 

I find the X2 can be very unforgiving at time.

May 8, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #4,658 of 15,268
X2 will make me appreciate the music better for sure. At first, I thought it was unforgiving and picky, and often harsh and unrefined. Now, I'm convinced it just wants a good source. It plays perfectly for me any piece with proper dynamic and file compression.

May 8, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #4,659 of 15,268
I think X2 is an old granpa. You can have a good time with him, he has some no-so-good habits but it's okay, and he always give you gifts. 

He's not unforgiving. 

May 8, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #4,660 of 15,268
  I think X2 is an old granpa. You can have a good time with him, he has some no-so-good habits but it's okay, and he always give you gifts. 

He's not unforgiving. 

This is another good way to put it explaining the controversy about the X2. I just want to stress it that grandpa gets easily grumpy if grandma doesn't feed him properly.

May 8, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #4,661 of 15,268

This is another good way to put it explaining the controversy about the X2. I just want to stress it that grandpa gets easily grumpy if grandma doesn't feed him properly.

Grandpa wants some action?

May 8, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #4,663 of 15,268
There's loads of these on amazon warehouse are people seriously returning them because they're scared of getting cancer from the dye?  or they just think they're not that good.. 

I wouldn't worry about it I remember reading about dye's being used in curry that were thought to be carcinogenic if too much is used. 

May 9, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #4,665 of 15,268
Yeah the UK prices are up n down like a yo yo. Got mine for £189.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back