Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 18, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #4,531 of 15,268
BTW Mad Lust Envy, I have been looking for a good closed headphones I have been eyeing the shure 1540. Since you have tried them, do they sound superior to the x2 given their price point? Could you please give me a comparison?
Thank you!

I'd save up for the TH600 instead. Just a little more, and noticeably better. The 1540's sound characteristics are more akin to the X1 than the X2.

The 1540 is a great headphone, but one I that I feel is a bit overpriced where it's at. The TH600 sounds as good as it costs for about $100 more than the 1540 dependong on where you go. Razordog has some stellar deals.

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #4,532 of 15,268
  Yep! Brain burn-in (or whatever you call it) is real for me too. It's really bizarre stuff, I felt foolish for not immediately noticing better sonic fidelity but I guess it's a completely natural phenomenon.

It would be brilliant to have a proper scientific study in the future, on why our brains need time to adjust and what exactly is happening chemically/emotionally in our heads. But it would probably take a lot of funding and a lot of MRI scans from many people for years to get any kind of meaningful result.

It gets really weird....you mood, energy (tired or not...nothing mystical), health, can make major changes in what you perceive.  I've even noticed brain burn in when not listening.  Remember your brain does a lot of "offline processing" at night, things are reordered, assimilated to make sense. 

Very similar phenomena are why eye witness testimony is very unreliable.  I was in the NTSB crash investigation course and we did some tests (most of us were engineers) and it was amazing how our minds manipulated what the eyes and ears took in to create a picture that made sense.  Sorry I am going a bit off course....

Brain burn in was so extreme for me that after listening to the X2 for hours over a couple days, I though my pair of RHA MA-750s were actually broken (thought I had handling damage).  This can be exceptionally powerful and almost always favors whatever your baseline is.  I think it is why many people become company "X" people.  Changes are slight, but not wholesale.

X2 was immediately amazing to me...I think because it followed my baseline home system well.  To me that is a good sign because I have a many thousand $$ system which has been calibrated, including the bass region.  Note that the bass is calibrated about 3dB hot (not exact that would be an average as it is a slope with room gain).  When placed right into a room, flat full range speakers have the same rise before cal.  If you call flat in a room...sounds dull.  X2 sounds like you calibrated in a room, the added the room gain curve back in (standard practice).  If you listen to "flat" headphones that do not have this gain back in, the X2 will sound a bit bass bloated or loose until you adjust.

I would argue a bass bump to relfect a normal room gain is most representative of how things are meant to sound.  Bass travels further without attenuation, concerts (rock and otherwise) add even more of a boost typically....put the actual instruments in nearly any circumstance outside of (true anechoic chamber) and that is how the sound as well (all in degrees).

I don't think the X2s are perfect, I've stated in other posts that I can notice some grain in the treble when I A/B, with things like cymbal decay presenting slightly artificial.  I do find them to be extremely enjoyable and as a complete package at $300, absolutely love them (with no amp required).

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #4,533 of 15,268
BTW @Mad Lust Envy, I have been looking for a good closed headphones I have been eyeing the shure 1540. Since you have tried them, do they sound superior to the x2 given their price point? Could you please give me a comparison?
Thank you!

Hey, I recommend Final Audio Hope VI. They sound really good, would complement X2 well but I've heard Final Audio is going to release Hope VIII and X so I'm hesitant to buy them.

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #4,534 of 15,268
Ut augue ultricies a adipiscing arcu dolor quam mauris sit consectetur. Lorem lacinia ut amet lorem augue vitae tortor arcu mollis elit lorem. A maecenas viverra donec consectetur tincidunt donec amet. Donec lorem mauris sed dolor a lorem lectus libero amet viverra lorem sit adipiscing ante lorem lacinia ut. Lacinia sed mauris enim libero et ut congue ipsum ut arcu libero nam ut non dolor maecenas a diam mollis maecenas amet sit.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #4,536 of 15,268
You guys must have some really horrible gear for it to sound that bad. I have the X2 and the TH900 (which is basically the better successor to the D7000), and even next to jt, the X2 sounds fantastic. Detract from the rest of the sound? Umm, no. The mids are perfectly in place and clear, and treble is vibrant and crisp, though a tad grainy if anything. The bass is full and just eger so slightly loose but nothing like how loose the X1 bass was. Soundstage is moderately large, but not huge. Still, all manners of its sound aspects work quite well with one another.

Starting to believe some people are listening for a few hours and forming an opinion. Impressions demand days to a week, IMHO. Especially when you're accustomed to other headphones, closed ones in particular.

I tried the X2's first and mostly with my Fiio E10. And I used it to run my HD600 also, so I think it should pair better with X2 out of these headphones.

It's true that I haven't been able to listen to them more than maybe two hours a day as they make my ears hurt if I try to listen to them with enjoyable level. Haven't used them for maybe 4 or 5 days now so maybe I should try them and see if my brain has adjusted :D

I don't know if I believe in brain burn in either as I didn't really use my HD600's much either. I think last time I used them before bying X2 was like 3-4 months ago and I haven't used them for that many hours even though I've had them for quite a while. So I don't really know if my brains could have been adjusted for the HD600 sounds. I think more likely it would be for my speaker setup which currently is a bit too bass heavy.

But I guess I'll still give them a few more changes before putting them up for sale. I guess I could live with my D2000's alone as they sound pretty good. Yea, they are a bit too bright after HD600 or X2 but I guess my brain will burn in for that also :D. The bass is already perfect (well, good enough for me) on them.

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #4,538 of 15,268
  It's true that I haven't been able to listen to them more than maybe two hours a day as they make my ears hurt if I try to listen to them with enjoyable level. Haven't used them for maybe 4 or 5 days now so maybe I should try them and see if my brain has adjusted :D

Weird, I had the same problem when I got mine. I thought it was my ears (otitis or something).
Now i don't have any problem, and I use them all day (more than 10h a day).

BTW, is there any ear-buds that have similar signature ? 

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #4,539 of 15,268
  Weird, I had the same problem when I got mine. I thought it was my ears (otitis or something).
Now i don't have any problem, and I use them all day (more than 10h a day).

BTW, is there any ear-buds that have similar signature ? 

Earsonics Velvet.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #4,540 of 15,268
Just came here to say that Magni2Uber makes my X2 SO ENJOYABLE. It is now very controlled, neutral. Everything is where it should be. Sounds so good, SO GOOD. 
(I'm not using E10K DAC for a while. MBP headphone out gives a little more of space and detail for a more controlled bass).

Really recommend it! 

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4,541 of 15,268
Guys
I dunno how hooking amps up together work. For example, my best audio output is the dacmagic xs (its close to the dragonfly 1.2 in form factor)
So it obviously is a dac and and amp. The X2 sounds good with it already (I dunno if I am missing much by not having a better amp).
But if I buy the magni 2 Uber and hook it up to the dacmagic xs, will tht give me any advantage? Will this set-up be proper?

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #4,542 of 15,268
Guys
I dunno how hooking amps up together work. For example, my best audio output is the dacmagic xs (its close to the dragonfly 1.2 in form factor)
So it obviously is a dac and and amp. The X2 sounds good with it already (I dunno if I am missing much by not having a better amp).
But if I buy the magni 2 Uber and hook it up to the dacmagic xs, will tht give me any advantage? Will this set-up be proper?

I don't know if it would sound better but I doubt it since X2 don't really need much amping to begin with. It would not be a proper or ideal set-up as Dacmagic XS does not have a line-out jack. You'd have to use the headphone jack to connect it to Magni 2 which would be double amping which would not give better sound quality and probably even worse. If you had something like Meridian Explorer 2 which has a line-out jack in addition to a headphone jack, then you could use the line-out to connect it to Magni 2.

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #4,543 of 15,268
I am curious... I currently have been rocking M100s since my first investment into headfi this time last year. I have been looking to take another step up in the world of headphones before hitting summit fi. Will the X2s be a step up from my M100s. I have read a few comments saying that the X2s re the M100s with a better sound stage and more neutral mids?

Also looking at hitting up some schiit gear on the amp/dac side of things, do the X2s benefit from proper amping?

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #4,544 of 15,268
I don't know if it would sound better but I doubt it since X2 don't really need much amping to begin with. It would not be a proper or ideal set-up as Dacmagic XS does not have a line-out jack. You'd have to use the headphone jack to connect it to Magni 2 which would be double amping which would not give better sound quality and probably even worse. If you had something like Meridian Explorer 2 which has a line-out jack in addition to a headphone jack, then you could use the line-out to connect it to Magni 2.

Thank you!
Very helpful..

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #4,545 of 15,268

And because I found it while browsing for photos, here are the X2s tricked out with the HM5 pads.  Dig that touch of red, yo 
wink.gif

That red accenting looks awesome. I may do that with the HM5 pads, throw on a grey wool headband cover, & call them my Ohio State 'phones. Nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back