Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 5, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #3,961 of 15,268
  A friend says "will buy if you sell" and another one had declared his interest with with my jds labs c5. (plus might sell or return my Cayin c5 as soon as it arrives)
This enables me (though it is always enabled, I am just trying to limit myself)  for further purchases if I sell them all. What'd you recommend as a big upgrade over x2?

(my amps are in my sig. not looking for portable cans)

I am waiting on a pair of T90's to arrive, but any of the Top end cans would be classed as an upgrade. HD600/650 more of a side wards move. Probably the Fostex TH900, Ultrasone Sig Pro maybe the LCD2 and LCD3. But your already looking at $700+ ontop of the X2 to get that last 5-10% increase. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #3,962 of 15,268

I am waiting on a pair of T90's to arrive, but any of the Top end cans would be classed as an upgrade. HD600/650 more of a side wards move. Probably the Fostex TH900, Ultrasone Sig Pro maybe the LCD2 and LCD3. But your already looking at $700+ ontop of the X2 to get that last 5-10% increase. 

I used to have T90. Burnt it for over 150 hours but I haven't liked it over X2.

But interesting is this incremental thing. Why, %10 upgrade seems to be at least 700 usd! 
X2 being 300usd, 700 more makes 1000 usd. For 1000 usd I can buy a second hand HD800. But then my amps won't be enough for that hd800. Then buy better, stonger amping. If I have better, stonger amps then I'd look for harder to drive cans and when I buy them a new amp hunting chapter would begin :) (=endless cycle)

So it's better to settle with what you got and look no further.. (as my inner voice says)

ps: tried a friends hd600. Didn't like it as I like X2 :)
ps2: A Stax set would be a logical upgrade over X2 IMO

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #3,963 of 15,268
  I used to have T90. Burnt it for over 150 hours but I haven't liked it over X2.

But interesting is this incremental thing. Why, %10 upgrade seems to be at least 700 usd! 
X2 being 300usd, 700 more makes 1000 usd. For 1000 usd I can buy a second hand HD800. But then my amps won't be enough for that hd800. Then buy better, stonger amping. If I have better, stonger amps then I'd look for harder to drive cans and when I buy them a new amp hunting chapter would begin :) (=endless cycle)

So it's better to settle with what you got and look no further.. (as my inner voice says)

ps: tried a friends hd600. Didn't like it as I like X2 :)
ps2: A Stax set would be a logical upgrade over X2 IMO

If you like the signature, it is a better to settle and enjoy the music with X2, rather than entering the "Upgraditis" or "Hype" disease.

I have to add here my 2 cents: it will be a better route for anyone who likes the signature of the X2 already to upgrade the cable and Dac/Amp (if needed, not a certain necessity since X2 already sounds great even from a Rockboxed SansaFuze).

I am getting great pleasure with my 336SE amp (my 336SE is Fitz Moded, front Psvane 6SN7 Classic, back 1958 Chatham JAN 6AS7G tube) and AudioMinor Cryoed Copper cable.... (Fuller sound, better micro details, smooth treble and a small touch of a tube warmth).

...and if my words doesn't convince any of you, you may also start trying this 
biggrin.gif
:

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #3,965 of 15,268
Does tube warm + X2 makes it sound not like wet but steamy ?

I personally don't like the way the X2 sounds with a warm tube amp. I have a hybrid with warm tubes and a warm opamp...it's too much warmth.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #3,966 of 15,268
  So First off. I have absolutely no complaints about the X2. (sound, comfort etc) Have them for a couple of weeks now and they are superb.

I read about a user here a while back that had the ink bleeding issue from the ear pads. Didn't notice or have this. Then I saw this yesterday on my desk:

These are all little black spots from the ear pads of the X2. Tried washing it off, but to no success so far. Will ask girlfriend, she probably has the trick. Anyway, What?
They do give of some ink. I don't really mind too much, but it does kind of suck. So I guess I have to put them on something that I don't care about when I don't use them overnight, or ask Philips to send me new ear pads as soon as they have them. Definitely don't want to send them back just for this. Sigh..

Welcome to the gathering. We come in peace.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #3,967 of 15,268
Does tube warm + X2 makes it sound not like wet but steamy ?

My 336Se sounds not overly warm, just a slight touch (tubey) as I have indicated. I like its signature and synergy very very much.

I don't use/like the term: Wet. So at this point I have no answer.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #3,969 of 15,268
My 336Se sounds not overly warm, just a slight touch (tubey) as I have indicated. I like its signature and synergy very very much.

I don't use/like the term: Wet. So at this point I have no answer.

I didn't like it too.

Wet and steamy? Are we talking about a Sauna?! Shake up guys and return to headphone jargon asap :)

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #3,971 of 15,268
  I didn't like it too.

Wet and steamy? Are we talking about a Sauna?! Shake up guys and return to headphone jargon asap :)

Can it not be both wet and dry at the same time, like a martini? 

I would like to introduce "damp" into the lingo. Not sure what it would mean but I think I would enjoy saying "God, my headphones sound so DAMP."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back