Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 3, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #3,886 of 15,268
I am here for nearly 11 years and witnessed MANY "deadly" discussions about burn-in in headfi...  I think these discussions will never end...

Because: Some of us hear and evaluate differently... Another problem is the -enough- basis of scientific proofs...

Here just a page about burn-in: http://www.gr-research.com/burnin.htm

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #3,887 of 15,268
"Burn-in"...I think I have been around here and this hobby long enough to throw in my 2 cents on "burn-in" and the hobby itself at a higher level. I feel like sharing experiences today...read if you want.

Here is my non-"Sound Science" take...

I admit that I have had a few instances where I put the music on and in a moment, everything seemed to come together. A "new" or higher level of listening/experience, if you will - to what I would classify personally as a "profound" level. These experiences occurred once after installing a new set of RCAs, another when I didn't change anything. Call it what you want. I experienced it.

I am not going to pretend to know for a fact whether it was psychological, equipment related, or a mix of both. Some people may want to know the answer, or may believe they have a better handle on this. I am good with leaving it to others. I didn't get into this hobby for this type of analysis - note to self. I try to equip myself with enough knowledge and use enough common sense to not go dumping money into things that sound "too good to be true" (as not to claim complete "ignorance".) Ultimately, I like good sounding music reproduction. If you are in it for different reasons (such as building/measuring equipment, etc.) then that's cool too.

My suggestion - just enjoy the music. The more you start hyper-analyzing the sound or "wait" for something special to happen, the less enjoyment comes out of the experience. If/when the "goosebump" moments or even more "profound" moments might come, they will come.

I ultimately had to sell my equipment and walk away from the hobby for a while, due to falling into the above categories.

I feel I can safely say now that these are a fine sounding set of headphones at their price point, particularly for my listening preferences. They may "burn in" or otherwise - either way I am good. Yes, there are better - generally/likely at a cost though. I have heard them. Do I want to make the investment and go down that road - not so sure anymore.

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #3,888 of 15,268
It is a rather strange that some people eagerly wait for their headphones to "burn in", as if they can't fully enjoy them until they have reached some specific amount of usage (some say 100 hours is that specific amount).

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #3,889 of 15,268
Doesn't matter how you call it, the effect is real. First time I put X2 on my ears I spend 3 hours with it. I didn't like the bass. It was too much, too loose.  I left it playing through the night and the other day it sounded so much better. Some say that depends on biologic/organic nuances (mood, ears, congestions, drugs)  others say the X2 changed. I got with the latter. For me, both are legit right. Some drivers do change with a little use. 

Doesn't matter how you call it, there IS effect and there IS difference on the sound. I'm not saying, though, that you should not listen or enjoy your purchase.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #3,890 of 15,268
  It is a rather strange that some people eagerly wait for their headphones to "burn in", as if they can't fully enjoy them until they have reached some specific amount of usage (some say 100 hours is that specific amount).

I think it's an expectation and even a mindset formed by the "burn-in" experiences (or suggestions that they will likely happen) sometimes communicated within the Head-Fi forums. When we experience a noticeable change or improvement at a certain stage/approx. # of hours and communicate it here, it becomes something to look forward to for others. Ultimately, some of us may end up missing the scenery along the way. Beyond that, the ultimate "burn-in" never happens for some people. 

On the other hand, I think communicating this in a responsible way can be helpful in helping others to give their equipment a chance, within reason and when communicated appropriately - something we tend not to always do in these forums...myself included. I think "IME" and "YMMV" are good to use particularly in these situations. I do think our minds and ears need time to acclimate to any new sound presentation. I can certainly be impatient and expect too much right off the bat. I am certainly enjoying my newest/latest setup today more so than yesterday - for example. 

Ultimately, I agree in that we can certainly enjoy listening from the start and all along our "journey"...

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3,891 of 15,268
Doesn't matter if it's the headphone or your brain that changes...fact is...something changes. That's the bottom line. Who cares what one believes. As long as you hear improvement, that's all that matters. If a headphone doesn't sound great at first...give it time and see what happens. Often times it will improve. If not...then it's just not the headphone for you. Unload it and move on. That's part of the fun/frustration of this hobby.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #3,892 of 15,268
Why is it that you seldom hear of things getting worse after burn-in??  Shouldn't it be 50-50??

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #3,893 of 15,268
If it was mechanically changing - then yes it would get worse or better.  Another thought - if something can break in, it can wear out....

At the end of the day, there could possibly be some extremely minor changes physically (show me data if it does) - but I am strongly in the camp that most of it is between your ears, and you don't actively have to be listening for it to happen.

Your brain will process, assimilate, etc after the fact.  This is a known phenomenon which greatly contributes to eye witness testimony reliability (lack there of).

Think of something else - you can easily show by data/measure minor differences between left and right or sample to sample...but you can't see anything repeatable of an over time changes?  Doesn't make sense.

Don't get me wrong - I really think the X2 sounded great off the bat, but after a couple weeks was that much better.  I have the L1 as well...again - even more extreme, I went from not liking it much to really enjoying...but the engineer in me points to my brain if I don't see data.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #3,894 of 15,268
  Why is it that you seldom hear of things getting worse after burn-in??  Shouldn't it be 50-50??

exactly this 

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3,895 of 15,268
  Doesn't matter if it's the headphone or your brain that changes...fact is...something changes. That's the bottom line. Who cares what one believes. As long as you hear improvement, that's all that matters. If a headphone doesn't sound great at first...give it time and see what happens. Often times it will improve. If not...then it's just not the headphone for you. Unload it and move on. That's part of the fun/frustration of this hobby.

Generally a good way to sum it up...

I just think the level of improvement that is expected is unrealistic sometimes and what we communicate here sets the bar. It's really up to that person to set their own expectations, though (use your best judgement.)

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3,896 of 15,268
I was reading the positive reviews and decided to give X2's a try (having an opportunity to test and return if so wanted). I had tried on a whim a friend's Philips A5 Pro (which are a well-rounded DJ-specific closed headphones built to last (aluminum and real leather), and felt Philips is definitely on to something with their new line of headphones. X1 I had never tried.

Comfort: I have a pretty small head, and immediately putting the X2's on, I could see they were slightly too large, remaining a bit loose around the head and on top of ears. The velour surface is ok, though I definitely prefer real leather (such as the A5 Pro had, or for example the Audeze LCD-X I recently tested - velour also collects dust and wears out, whereas leather just ages beautifully with you). The memory foam on the other hand does not seem to mold much (perhaps due to little loose fit you get if you have a smaller head), so the contact to the ear is not very good. 

Looks and build: I like that Philips is using aluminum, rather than plastic all around. Same for using real leather instead of faux - Shame on you, manufacturers of higher-end plasticky headphones. X2 feels solid all around and is well built. Design is ok, but this type of headphones with hammock-style headband, especially on a smaller head, look rather amusing with the high arch on top your dome - not a problem at home, but would be hesitant to walk outside wearing something like these. 

Sound: I had very high expectations for these headphones, and maybe because of that, I was quite disappointed - or, let's say, rather underwhelmed - in their performance. The fact that they are quite bright, with overpowering treble that turns lots of singers' voice unnaturally thin (sort of stamped on, with no sufficient depth), does not go well with what I want from a pair of headphones. Bass is pretty well controlled, but it is a bit exaggerated, even slightly 'boomy' at times, so someone looking for a natural bass (controlled and true, clean) will likely be disappointed. Having said that, there's no obvious distortion and X2's are capable of very high definition and clear/clean output.

Verdict: Returned the X2's back to the store after 2 weeks. Not comfortable enough (especially for a smaller head), too harsh on the treble making them sound a bit unnatural and thin, and lacking presence especially with vocals. Bass also leaves me wanting more control and clarity though they are not a bass-head's headphones either.

Tested with: Spotify Premium and AAC from iPhone 6 (from headphone output directly, and over Airplay, through Apple TV and Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 (Ubers) stack) and Macbook Pro (USB through the same Schiit stack)

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #3,897 of 15,268
  I was reading the positive reviews and decided to give X2's a try (having an opportunity to test and return if so wanted). I had tried on a whim a friend's Philips A5 Pro (which are a well-rounded DJ-specific closed headphones built to last (aluminum and real leather), and felt Philips is definitely on to something with their new line of headphones. X1 I had never tried.

Comfort: I have a pretty small head, and immediately putting the X2's on, I could see they were slightly too large, remaining a bit loose around the head and on top of ears. The velour surface is ok, though I definitely prefer real leather (such as the A5 Pro had, or for example the Audeze LCD-X I recently tested - velour also collects dust and wears out, whereas leather just ages beautifully with you). The memory foam on the other hand does not seem to mold much (perhaps due to little loose fit you get if you have a smaller head), so the contact to the ear is not very good. 

Looks and build: I like that Philips is using aluminum, rather than plastic all around. Same for using real leather instead of faux - Take note, manufacturers of higher-end plasticky headphones. X2 feels solid all around and is well built. Design is ok, but this type of headphones with hammock-style headband, especially on a smaller head, look rather amusing with the high arch on top your dome - not a problem at home, but would be hesitant to walk outside wearing something like these. 

Sound: I had very high expectations for these headphones, and maybe because of that, I was quite disappointed - or, let's say, rather underwhelmed - in their performance. The fact that they are quite bright, with overpowering treble that turns lots of singers' voice unnaturally thin (sort of stamped on, with no sufficient depth), does not go well with what I want from a pair of headphones. Bass is pretty well controlled, but it is a bit exaggerated, even slightly 'boomy' at times, so someone looking for a natural bass (controlled and true, clean) will likely be disappointed. Having said that, there's no obvious distortion and X2's are capable of very high definition and clear/clean output.

Verdict: Returned the X2's back to the store after 2 weeks. Not comfortable enough (especially for a smaller head), too harsh on the treble making them sound a bit unnatural and thin, and lacking presence especially with vocals. Bass also leaves me wanting more control and clarity though they are not a bass-head's headphones either.

Tested with: iPhone 6 (from headphone output directly, and over Airplay, through Apple TV and Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 (Ubers) stack) and Macbook Pro (USB through the same Schiit stack)

I'm not going to tell you they will get better with burn-in. LOL  The X2s are not for everyone. Especially those with a smaller head.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #3,898 of 15,268
Been waiting for ages to get these...sold some vinyl and they landed today.bit tentative to play anything on them at first..but thought id give em a quick go out of an ipod classic...wot a disappointment.never heard a quality headphone before but...i was quite happy to go back to my £10 earbuds..still heres hoping...oh..and they do look ridiculous on

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #3,899 of 15,268
  I'm not going to tell you they will get better with burn-in. LOL  The X2s are not for everyone. Especially those with a smaller head.

:D

I am one of those not 'believing' in burn-in, happening anywhere else than in your own (small) head, but I did allow them over 100 hrs of use during the 2 weeks I had them. Perhaps the X1's are better fitting, heard they were more 'toit'.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #3,900 of 15,268
  [redacted]

Tested with: Spotify Premium and AAC from iPhone 6 (from headphone output directly, and over Airplay, through Apple TV and Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 (Ubers) stack) and Macbook Pro (USB through the same Schiit stack)

There is definitely different preferences for people - but your feedback would be more helpful to those reading if you include a comparison to something else (sound).  It sounds bright compared to LCD-X?  Or something else?  Bass is exaggerated...compared to what?  If you have been following this thread or looking at amazon - you will see some folks complain that X2 doesn't have enough bass or the top end is not extended enough....it all depends on your frame of reference and your baseline preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back