Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 6, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #3,031 of 15,268
Sorry, can't keep quiet. David Gray has never sounded so damn good!!!! Man these things are making me smile and goosebump like you wouldn't believe! That bass is so satisfying. I'm a bit nervous about an acoustic test , they need to do acoustic well!

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #3,034 of 15,268
Sorry, can't keep quiet. David Gray has never sounded so damn good!!!! Man these things are making me smile and goosebump like you wouldn't believe! That bass is so satisfying. I'm a bit nervous about an acoustic test , they need to do acoustic well!

popcorn.gif

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #3,036 of 15,268
After this thread...the X3 will cost $500+....lol

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #3,037 of 15,268
Damn these are good! So far so good , they are hitting the spot and I can't fault them yet. The bass is maybe a tad more than I am used to but it is very well integrated with everything else. I like how the soundstage has an openness without sounding thin as a result. One thing I've immediately noticed is how my focus isn't drawn to one particular element , it's like I can just enjoy the music without having certain parts of the mix highlighted and taking my attention away from the music as a whole, but that's not to say the detail and imaging isn't there it's just not distracting (HD800 I'm looking at you) .

What amp are you using to drive them mate?

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #3,038 of 15,268

Which is a smart move. They might make less per sold headphone than other companies, but they are going to to sell these in crazy amounts I think. (hope so at least, they deserve that it seems)

Philips is a huge company so it's no surprise they can sell X2 at a low price. Had Sennheiser, Beyer or Audeze made this, they would've been priced much higher, at least double the current price.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #3,039 of 15,268
Has anyone thought about a cable mod in order to run the X2 in balanced mode?

Would this even make any sense?

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #3,040 of 15,268
  Philips is a huge company so it's no surprise they can sell X2 at a low price. Had Sennheiser, Beyer or Audeze made this, they would've been priced much higher, at least double the current price.

I know, I'm Dutch :p
But of course they can produce at lower costs, but I really think they made a deliberate choice to price them very sharp.

Philips's profit last year was disappointing iirc from the news, so I hope these great cans will fix that for them. (a bit)

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #3,041 of 15,268
everyone here said X2 scale up with good dac+amp, X2 seems not separate each ground channel, so no chance to run balance. anyone thought this before?

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #3,042 of 15,268
The X2 works wonderfully with Dolby Headphone.
Of course, I dunno how a phone is even capable of accepting a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal to convert into Dolby headphone. I'd wager all you're hearing is dolby headphone processing a stereo signal which is never good.

Dolby headphone makes a much better tool for proper games, where you can EXPECT surround channels to be used. Though again, not on phones.

It makes sense now. I've never tried to watch movies on it, just music. In some music it makes they sound expansive but sometimes too much, lacking of body or revealing too much detail. On others, it works wonderfully.

I have a certain moral question about using Dolby to listen music since I think that it takes away or changes the original state of the master/recording.

When I get back home I'll try X2 with the cheap soundcard I got with virtual headphone feature

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #3,043 of 15,268
My package arrived to today and I listened to my pair of Phillips x2 for several hours now

I have 10 years of IEM experience, owned and owning phones with prices ranging from 50€-300€ like the Westone UM3X, Shure 420, FAD Heaven VI,Havi b3 p1, Ostry KC06A, ZA Tenore etc. and this is actually my first open-back Headphone.

Some impressions:

- I would describe the overall sound as neutral, neither warm nor cold with a V-signature in the frequency curve.
- Mid bass is okay, nothing extraordinarily though, you will not be blown away by these, but bass does come out nicely depending on the track.
- Subbass is good, these have a very satisfying amount of subbass, not too much either
- Treble is well-presented without sibilance, nothing to criticize here. Extension is good.
- Vocals are clear, but they lack body and sound quite distant, which is quite a big negative point for me.
- Soundstage is quite big
- The whole presentation of the music seems to be more distant than I am used to.
- For some reason fatigue sets in rather fast for me, not sure why, maybe there is a frequency peak somewhere.

I will give my x2 more time to burn-in for now. I am not sure if I want to keep them as it stands now since the distant Vocal presentation and quick fatigue, I get from listening to these, is rather bothering, but I hope this will change in the next days.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #3,044 of 15,268
  everyone here said X2 scale up with good dac+amp, X2 seems not separate each ground channel, so no chance to run balance. anyone thought this before?

the mod would entail drilling a hole in the right hand cup and mounting a plug...:frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back