Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 28, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #2,716 of 15,268
Does anyone know if there is a way to buy an extended warranty for these after purchasing? I remember seeing an extended warranty offered on amazon once, but when I bought these headphones I used my iPod touch and didn't see the extended warranty offer.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #2,717 of 15,268
  How is the transparency of this headphone? And does it leak alot of sound?

I don't think they are transparent. They are warm and full bodied. Lot of bass (not too much or bloated or anything like that), forward mids, recessed highs but with lots of detail. As far as leakage, they are open back so they leak sound. They leak about an average amount of sound but not as much as some (HE-400) that I've owned or heard. About the same as any Grado I've had or the K701's I had.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #2,718 of 15,268

People seem to think that the X2 is better than most Senns up to the 800's and then some think they are even better than those or at least on par with but a lot different than. I can't say since I've never listened to any of them (Senns) so I'm just repeating what I've read.

I'm guessing the number of people who have actually heard both the HD600(50) and the X2 is small compared to the numbers that have heard one but not the other. There hasn't really been any detailed comparison between the two.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #2,719 of 15,268

I'm guessing the number of people who have actually heard both the HD600(50) and the X2 is small compared to the numbers that have heard one but not the other. There hasn't really been any detailed comparison between the two.

Not that I've read. It's just been mostly comments stating that the X2 is better or that they like the X2 better than the Senn HDxxx. But not much of comparisons or reasons why.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2,720 of 15,268
  Not that I've read. It's just been mostly comments stating that the X2 is better or that they like the X2 better than the Senn HDxxx. But not much of comparisons or reasons why.

That's why people put stock in the opinions of qualified reviewers who HAVE heard both.  Tyll of innerfidelity has reviewed both extensively, including measurements, and placed both on his Wall of Fame.  In his video of the review he says the X2 would have knocked the Senn off the wall completely if it were higher impedance:   http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #2,721 of 15,268
Pardon my ignorance...but why does it matter? I mean why would he consider the X2 > HD650 only if it had higher impedance? 

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2,722 of 15,268
  Pardon my ignorance...but why does it matter? I mean why would he consider the X2 > HD650 only if it had higher impedance? 

Because it would pair better with tube amps, at least that's his argument.

I was among those few complaining about the weight of the headphones: you were right, I simply got used to it and I have a nice relationship of love and hate with it (how many nights I just want to listen to "one more song")...

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #2,723 of 15,268

The X2 lower impedance means that it will not match well with amps with a high output impedance. Most OTL tube amps have a high output impedance. The HD600/650 are 300 ohm headphones, which works well with high impedance outputs. Normally it is recommended to have at least an 8 to 1 ratio of headphone impedance to output impedance. The X2 would work very well if you are going to use it with mostly low impedance solid state amps. If they are purchased for use or for future use with a high impedance tube amp they would not be a good choice. The HD600/650 would be a better choice in that instance.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #2,724 of 15,268
Gotcha. Glad I'm more of a low-fi kinda guy with my Little Dot 1+ hybrid tube amp....lol

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #2,725 of 15,268
Gotcha. Glad I'm more of a low-fi kinda guy with my Little Dot 1+ hybrid tube amp....lol

I'm with you, I can't see myself purchasing a OTL tube amp anytime in the near future. Even though a Schiit Valhalla is mighty appealing, my bank account is still reeling from the hurting I put on it with my recent round of headphone related purchaces!

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #2,727 of 15,268
  Does X2 sound good on Little Dot ? It's pretty accessible but vali makes a really big shadow

It's not bad but not fantastic either. At least mine. I have warm tubes and a warm opamp paired with an already warm headphones...it's a little bit much. I enjoy the X2's out of my cMoy more which is also slightly warm and so far the Magni 2 is pretty great. It's just ever so slightly warm, less than the cMoy. Out of all my sources, the Magni is best to my ears. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #2,729 of 15,268

The specific reason was answered already....but in general it seems the Wall of Fame are the headphones of each category that are going to do something for you that the others don't.

I just bought the Fidelio L1 which is also on the wall (and found out that I also own another wall of fame...the RHA MA-750)....my first thought was "why are these on the wall?....I don't think they are better overall than the X2" but I am starting to wrap my head around the categories, and how each do something.  It would seem that there are plenty of cans on the wall that are bested by cans not on the wall...but in his opinion, not for a certain use or price category.

So stating the now obvious - he likes the X2 better than the HD600 and HD650 for a mid fi price...but he still keeps the HD600 around on the wall for higher impedance (tube) amps.

Similarly the RHA MA-750s bumping off the Shure 215s...he gave the rationale...this price point, this form...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back