Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 27, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,701 of 15,268
  I will try without the amp later today and report back. If it has output impedance of 200 ohms (which I doubt) then the dragonfly should sound better. Dragonfly costs 3 times as much though. I am using the sabre with a mobile setup, if you are looking for a dac for your home setup I would go with dragonfly or schiit modi.

Thank you! 

Why not go with sabre for home setup? Because it doesn't have as many input/outputs?
I'm trying not to spend too much.
Of course I don't want to buy a bad dac either, that I feel the need to upgrade, that's just waste of money.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2,702 of 15,268
I will try without the amp later today and report back. If it has output impedance of 200 ohms (which I doubt) then the dragonfly should sound better. Dragonfly costs 3 times as much though. I am using the sabre with a mobile setup, if you are looking for a dac for your home setup I would go with dragonfly or schiit modi.

How much is the Hifimediy? The original Dragonfly is only $99 if im not mistaken and it also have a more powerful amp session, but I'd guess it would depend on ones priorities.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #2,703 of 15,268
I cannot recall specifics right now, but a year ago when I bought my dragonfly 1.2 it was clear it was superior to the 1.1. Sabre is $41, Dragonfly 1.2 is $150. I have heard awesome things about Meridian Explorer 2 as well....$300.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #2,704 of 15,268
I cannot recall specifics right now, but a year ago when I bought my dragonfly 1.2 it was clear it was superior to the 1.1. Sabre is $41, Dragonfly 1.2 is $150. I have heard awesome things about Meridian Explorer 2 as well....$300.

Ok if you talk about the 1.2 things looks different. I read a lot mixed impressions between the DF 1.1 and 1.2 but I've only heard the 1.1 so can't comment on the differences but the X2 sounded very good when I tested them with it today (I don't use the DF much more so had not tried it with the X2's before).

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #2,705 of 15,268
I purchased my HD600 about 20 days ago and I'm more than pleased with with them. Is the X2 a major upgrade from the HD600? Based on Tyll's review they best the HD600 in most respects. I'm within the return period on the HD600, should I consider getting the X2 instead?

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #2,706 of 15,268
Has anyone noticed the "terms and conditions" on the bottom of the box? I noticed that it said " Specifications are subject to modification without notice". Could this mean they could change the appearance or drivers without stating so?

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #2,707 of 15,268
I purchased my HD600 about 20 days ago and I'm more than pleased with with them. Is the X2 a major upgrade from the HD600? Based on Tyll's review they best the HD600 in most respects. I'm within the return period on the HD600, should I consider getting the X2 instead?

People seem to think that the X2 is better than most Senns up to the 800's and then some think they are even better than those or at least on par with but a lot different than. I can't say since I've never listened to any of them (Senns) so I'm just repeating what I've read.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #2,708 of 15,268
From what I heard I'd put the X2 over all current sennheisers up to the 600/650 and then they best them in ways too imo. The HD700 I didn't rate and thought the X2, HD600 and HD650 were better overall. The HD800 is very different but I'd have it easily over the aforementioned cans overall - but they are apples and oranges because one is bassier darker while one is bright and analytical. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #2,709 of 15,268
X2 sounds ok direct out of sabre dac. It is a bit darker and less defined than the dragonfly 1.2, but when amped it sounds the same to me. I wouldn't hesitate to get the sabre dac for the x2.

As a side note, I did some comparing the x2 with my hd600. No contest, to my ears the x2 fills in the missing low end of the hd600 and does not appear to miss another information the hd600 has. The x2 is an incredible can got the price (as is the sabre dac) .

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #2,710 of 15,268
A LESS flattering review, in case any one is interested.  It's easy to find tons of reviews of a new product that just gush over how great it is.  I like to read the worst reviews of a product I can find too.  If this review is the worst one (it is that I've found) then I'm good with that.  I don't own any X2 yet but they are very likely my next purchase.  BTW, they look very small in these pics!  Will my larger ears fit inside the cups easily or will I have to cram them in there?

http://www.neowin.net/news/philips-fidelio-x2-headphones-review

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #2,711 of 15,268
   BTW, they look very small in these pics!  Will my larger ears fit inside the cups easily or will I have to cram them in there?

I guess you could say I have average size ears and they fit with maybe 1/4" space if that...maybe 1/8" space between the pad and my ear at the bottom. The way I wear them the top of my ear touches and the bottom doesn't. I just measured the pads and even though they are round on the outside the inside is slightly oval. They are 2.5" from top to bottom and 2" across if that helps you any.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #2,712 of 15,268
I'll wait for your thoughts about it with magni 2, then
biggrin.gif

Arrived today. Initial thoughts...pairs well with the X2. Sound seems to be just a tad on the warm side of neutral. Power is just way more than the X2 could ever handle so there's no issue there. Bass seems tighter. Mids about the same, maybe slightly more forward. Highs are pushed a tiny bit forward as well...there's more detail. Overall it just feels like the Magni 2 Uber took everything that the X2 is and injected them with a big dose of steroids. Again, that's initial impression. No A/B with anything else and maybe 5 songs (I had to go to work). I'll give it some more time to let the initial excitement of a new amp wear off a little and do some comparative listening but overall I believe this is a really good amp for these headphones and especially if you need something with some power for other headphones. I got this mostly to power my HE-400 better and to see if it improved them (it did not) before deciding to keep them or send them back. At this point the X2 is the clear winner for me in the X2 vs. HE-400 battle. The HE-400 is awesome, don't get me wrong, but I need my mids and the HE-400 definitely falls short in that department.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #2,713 of 15,268
  Bass seems tighter. Mids about the same, maybe slightly more forward. Highs are pushed a tiny bit forward as well...there's more detail. Overall it just feels like the Magni 2 Uber took everything that the X2 is and injected them with a big dose of steroids. 

That's good to read. Have you notice any improvement on soundstage ? What DAC are you using ? 

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #2,714 of 15,268
DAC is a Keces DA-151. Not sure on the sound stage. I only got the chance to try a few songs and didn't listen to them too critically. If there is improvement, it didn't jump out as being huge but I'll put some more songs through the system tonight and check it out.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #2,715 of 15,268
How is the transparency of this headphone? And does it leak alot of sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back