Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 24, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #2,641 of 15,268
I've found the IEM equivalent of X2s, Earsonics SM64. They sound amazing, and weirdly I feel like listening to X2s with them. They have an out of the head sound signature. If you like X2s, you're surely going to love these. I think my IEM search is over.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #2,642 of 15,268
  The X2 is perfect, the only way they could improve it is by going planar.

I'd be interested in a planar made by Philips labs in Belgium. And you know what, you'd get the performance of LCD-3 (maybe even better) at USD 699 max. Philips is a great company.

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2,645 of 15,268
  Yeah it's a bit expensive but totally worth it. They're better than IE800s I had. I sold Fidelio L2 though so that funded some of it. I didn't need Fidelio L2 after buying X2.

How does the soundstage compare?

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #2,647 of 15,268
  How does the soundstage compare?

IE800 is better in terms of soundstage, that's the biggest pro of IE800 though. In almost all other things I can think of, SM64 is better. It's musical, fatigue free, has no sibilance and has a full sound. IE800 tends to be too bright and sibilant at times and the sound is lean. Soundstage, yes that's the best thing about IE800. That said, SM64 is very good in terms of soundstage too, in fact it doesn't sound like an IEM at all. Higher end S-EM6 is probably better in terms of soundstage but I doubt they're as fun sounding as SM64. SM64 is probably the best upper mid range IEM out there and can give many higher end IEMs a run for their money.

Also, I've never heard such lovely mids from an IEM before...

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #2,648 of 15,268

IE800 is better in terms of soundstage, that's the biggest pro of IE800 though. In almost all other things I can think of, SM64 is better. It's musical, fatigue free, has no sibilance and has a full sound. IE800 tends to be too bright and sibilant at times and the sound is lean. Soundstage, yes that's the best thing about IE800. That said, SM64 is very good in terms of soundstage too, in fact it doesn't sound like an IEM at all. Higher end S-EM6 is probably better in terms of soundstage but I doubt they're as fun sounding as SM64. SM64 is probably the best upper mid range IEM out there and can give many higher end IEMs a run for their money.

Is that with or without the filters?
EDIT: Also, someone in the IE800 thread said that the IE800s made his Fidelio X1s sound cheap and tinny.  Is this true?  If so, how much (in percentage) is the SM64 an improvement?  How does the soundstage compare to the X2?
Sorry for asking so many questions!

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #2,650 of 15,268
Jan 24, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #2,651 of 15,268
Dang they're pricey. It hurt pretty bad when I bought my ER4's....no way I could cough up $200 more than they were for IEMs, especially as much as I use (or don't use) them. Gotta say though, I'd like to give them a try.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #2,652 of 15,268

I agree the SM64 is the only iem or hp that I have sold that I truly miss....

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #2,654 of 15,268

just read this |joker| comparison between IE800 and SM64:
Sennheiser’s flagship in-ear boasts plentiful bass and a more v-shaped overall sound compared to the EarSonics. It offers greater mid- and subbass presence, as well as greater impact and note weight. The EarSonics, on the other hand, exercise a bit more bass control. The lower midrange of the IE 800 is more recessed but maintains clarity very well. At the same time the SM64, with its laid-back upper mids, sounds smoother than the somewhat splashy IE 800. Subjectively, the performance of these two is actually rather close, though the IE 800 did win my ear more often than the SM64 for its greater midrange accuracy and huge bass that does not sacrifice clarity.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #2,655 of 15,268
I own both these and a hifiman He-500, I love both of them, I run them with my schiit lyr and xfi usb hd as the DAC, I know I'm kind of on the low end on the dac part but its a pretty neat little machine. 
The hifiman was my first high end phone before that I owned beyer 990 pro and a senn HD558 which were both fantastic but when I got the hifiman I could hear things in the music that I wouldn't be able to hear before and the level of detail was breathtaking, almost as if I could not only hear the music but feel it. I bought the x2 as a secondary phone, despite the reviews I didn't think it would impress me that much because the hifiman was just a beast of a headphone but to my utter surprise I find it more musical than the hifiman in many areas, the hifiman does have better extension both ends but it lacks the slam and impact that the x2's have, I also feel like the x2 has a more inviting midrange but overall in technical terms the hifiman phone had a bit more detail retrieval and was faster hitting but the x2 was not far away, and not to mention in many cases I enjoyed the x2 more. 
Both are excellent cans but the x2 is an amazing value for money. The main cons for the x2 would be grainy treble and the bass is not as tight as the HE-500 (still being extremely good in quality and quantity), but we all know that planars are known for their tight bass, dynamic drivers just don't measure upto planars in that regard. 
The HE-500 has a unnatural uppermidrange I feel, also the treble can get a bit tizzy at times, not to mention the soundstage is smaller than the x2 in both width and height. 

Overall loving both phones but its weird how the x2 gets more headtime. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back