Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 21, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2,536 of 15,268
Sorry search did not come up with clear threads. I'm trying to wash the pads on the x2 to soften them up. Assuming just use water?

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #2,537 of 15,268
Sorry search did not come up with clear threads. I'm trying to wash the pads on the x2 to soften them up. Assuming just use water?

Yup.  If you really want them soft, dunk them in hydrochloric acid for a few hours as well.  They'll feel like they're not even there anymore.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #2,541 of 15,268
I got these a few days ago.
I'm not sure what to think about them yet. So far I'm a bit disappointed .

I'm comparing them to my Goldring dr150. And the x2 got bigger soundstage, detail and a bit darker sounding.
But still the difference is not huge.

I'm just not blown away. I was expecting even airier sound, and more bass.
For me its more like, "alright, this sounds a bit nicer"...

The dr150 are too bright for me for longer listening sessions though, and that's the reason why I needed a new headphone.
I wanted something that was darker sounding, but also a significant upgrade.

So what to do?
Try something else?
hd600/650 probably similar amount of detail/soundstage, maybe less bass.
dt880/990 most likely too much treble
akg q701 too much treble as well probably.
he400, also described as having a lot of treble.

lcd2 looks good on graphs, but its out of my budget.
So is there something else I should try. Or should I return them and wait until I can fund some lcd2?
If there is nothing else out there that would be better than x2, I think I could be happy with them.
They are quite nice, and so far they seem non-fatiguing for me.

I've tried them out of my clip+, moto g, computer onboard audio.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #2,542 of 15,268

I'm comparing them to my Goldring dr150. And the x2 got bigger soundstage, detail and a bit darker sounding.

The dr150 are too bright for me for longer listening sessions though, and that's the reason why I needed a new headphone.

So what to do?
Try something else?

So is there something else I should try. Or should I return them and wait until I can fund some lcd2?
If there is nothing else out there that would be better than x2, I think I could be happy with them.

LCD-2 is not worth the money it's sold for. They are also hard to drive, you'd need an amp. Try Oppo PM-2 and Fostex TH600. They're reasonably priced good headphones. I like X2 more than them as a true all-rounder but I wouldn't deny they're really good too. I'm even considering TH600 when it falls below USD 500 (I think it should have been priced USD 499 from the start). PM-2 sounds better than LCD-2 as a planar magnetic, TH600 has an amazing bass which is good for EDM.

X2 has everything I like about headphones in a single package. It's an amazing headphone to me. But Oppo PM-2 and TH600 have their own strengths. PM-2 has glourious mids, TH600 is a basshead headphone pretending to be an audiophile headphone. Beware though, none of them is an all-rounder like X2.

If I were you though, I'd try X2 with an amp that has a low impedance output first.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #2,544 of 15,268

LCD-2 is not worth the money it's sold for. Try Oppo PM-2 and Fostex TH600. They're reasonably priced good headphones. I like X2 more than them as a true all-rounder but I wouldn't deny they're really good too. I'm even considering TH600 when it falls below USD 500 (I think it should have been priced USD 499 from the start). PM-2 sounds better than LCD-2 as a planar magnetic, TH600 has an amazing bass which is good for EDM.

X2 has everything I like about headphones in a single package. It's an amazing headphone to me. But Oppo PM-2 and TH600 have their own strengths. PM-2 has glourious mids, TH600 is a basshead headphone pretending to be an audiophile headphone. Beware though, none of them is an all-rounder like X2.

Thank you for this. I've been trying to decide between the X2, dt-990, he400, hd650, and the k712. Starting to feel much more confident in the X2's for my next open backed headphones. Now I'm gonna have to choose between the shure srh1540s and the th600s for my closed backed ones.

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #2,545 of 15,268

So what to do?
Try something else?

I got X2 and LCD2.2. Main difference is that LCD2 is more transparent and realistic, none of that grain you can find on X2's highs, also more impactful, detailed and linear in the bass. I wish X2 were as good as them but when you compare both with the same music LCD2 is clearly better but is a lot more expensive and uncomfortable and needs an amp. X2 are excellent for the price and I prefer them to He400, DT990, and K701.   

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #2,546 of 15,268

Well once you go beyond the $300 headphones, IMO, you're going to get rapidly diminishing returns. It's either going to be small improvements here and there or simply a different sound.

The bass is... superb. Nothing to say about it, just ... perfect. 

Would you say the X2's bass is a significant improvement over the 770 pros?

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #2,547 of 15,268

Would you say the X2's bass is a significant improvement over the 770 pros?

The bass on X2 has more body, it's more present and powerful. I can say already that my DT770 32ohm sound lifeless =P
However, there's some more burn-in to do so... I will update here few days later. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #2,548 of 15,268
I feel the whole 'LCD2 is hard to drive' is blown severely out of proportion. I found the LCD2 to be one of the most amp friendly headphones out there. It sounds good off any amp you can throw at it. Sure, it DOES need a desktop amp, but it's not picky about which, and how powerful it is.

As for what I'm using with the X2 and Vali, just the E17's dac for now. I got rid of all my serious gear over a year ago.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #2,549 of 15,268
I feel the whole 'LCD2 is hard to drive' is blown severely out of proportion. I found the LCD2 to be one of the most amp friendly headphones out there. It sounds good off any amp you can throw at it. Sure, it DOES need a desktop amp, but it's not picky about which, and how powerful it is.

As for what I'm using with the X2 and Vali, just the E17's dac for now. I got rid of all my serious gear over a year ago.

confused.gif
  Why?
So no HE90 w/ Headamp Aristaeus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back