Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 19, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #2,476 of 15,268
4 days ago when the problem started, I felt i couldnt rule out the idea of having sinus issues or blocked nose, although i seemed to be just alright. I used some decongestant nasal drops and stopped listening to the x2, the problem went away. But i listened to it again yesterday, it all came back. I am thinking i might switch the right cup and the left cup for the next listening sessions. If my left ear still hurts, then the problem is in my ear. If my right ear hurts, then definitely the problem is in the headphones.

My ears would hurt while listening with AKG Q701s. I haven't had a problem with X2 though.

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #2,477 of 15,268
Yea, i can imagine. The Akg is harsher sounding, the X2 has a perfect tonal balance for me. When i start listening to them, i feel i can listen for 10 hours without a complaint. However, my left ear would cry for help after an hour or so. I am truly hoping this problem will go away.

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #2,478 of 15,268
Yea, i can imagine. The Akg is harsher sounding, the X2 has a perfect tonal balance for me. When i start listening to them, i feel i can listen for 10 hours without a complaint. However, my left ear would cry for help after an hour or so. I am truly hoping this problem will go away.

What's the volume you're listening to them at? 
blink.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #2,479 of 15,268

It would be interesting to hear a comparison to planar magnetics.   I'll go for a 'bass run' later this morning.   I also decided to try Tidal's service this week so if anyone has any favorite bass tracks for testing they might be within easy reach on that service.

I have X2 and LCD2.2 (pre fazor). Bass is more controlled, textured, deep and impactful on LCD2, percussion instruments are more realistic. In comparison it makes the rolled off and slighty accentuated mid bass of X2 obvious.

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #2,481 of 15,268
Oh! on a different topic, do u guys know of any open headphones that sound great and are under the $500? I want them a bit brighter than the X2 and wd love it if they need no amping. They will be used directly from my Ibasso DX90. Any recommendations?
The budget can be pushed up to $600 if needed.
Thanx a lot!

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #2,482 of 15,268
I wd say %30 to 40% higher than the maximum output of a normal phone like the galaxy s3
I am using the dacmagic xs, it produces a very clean sound that encourages loud volume listening..

That's LOUD man. I stayed two clicks or below from the MAX volume on a Galaxy s3 which I use daily. Hell, I don't even go max using HD600's. Just one click down. 
basshead.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #2,484 of 15,268
I wd say %30 to 40% higher than the maximum output of a normal phone like the galaxy s3
I am using the dacmagic xs, it produces a very clean sound that encourages loud volume listening..

Dacmagic XS is a bit harsh sounding itself, in my opinion. Could you try an amp that's smoother sounding? Meridian Explorer/Explorer2, Woo Audio WA7 or something similar?..

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #2,485 of 15,268
Oh! on a different topic, do u guys know of any open headphones that sound great and are under the $500? I want them a bit brighter than the X2 and wd love it if they need no amping. They will be used directly from my Ibasso DX90. Any recommendations?
Thanx a lot!

Fidelio L2. They are brighter. Semi open though.
Hifiman HE400i. Easy to drive, brighter.

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #2,487 of 15,268
4 days ago when the problem started, I felt i couldnt rule out the idea of having sinus issues or blocked nose, although i seemed to be just alright. I used some decongestant nasal drops and stopped listening to the x2, the problem went away. But i listened to it again yesterday, it all came back. I am thinking i might switch the right cup and the left cup for the next listening sessions. If my left ear still hurts, then the problem is in my ear. If my right ear hurts, then definitely the problem is in the headphones.

My ear feel congested after last night listening and hurting a little, but it goes away quickly. (Still congested though)
But i realised i got my nose blocked and turns out i got flu symptomps in the morning, so i guess it's the pressure build up

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #2,488 of 15,268
Thanx a lot!

Check Fidelio L2.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #2,489 of 15,268
I've read this entire thread, so hopefully I'm not repeating anything with the following questions:

- Anyone using these for movies? I'm curious how well the soundstage and bass works for that. I nixed the HD598 for weak bass, and the HD600 for weak soundstage, and now I'm tentatively settled on the DT990 Premium.

- Anyone compare the X2 (or even X1) with the DT990 in detail? Curious about soundstage, bass, and comfort. The DT990 is super comfy -- soft pads, low clamp, fairly light weight.

- The question/answer of an amp with the X2 seems unclear. Many comments suggest it requires no dedicated amp to get 99% of its potential, but others suggest an amp will provide a more significant improvement and might even be necessary.

Thanks to everyone who has already shared so much info about these headphones in this thread!

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #2,490 of 15,268
Thanx a lot!

Try to find the T90 or HD700 on the FS forums here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back