Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 6, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #2,176 of 15,268
  Just curious... Has anyone been able to do a listening-test comparison of the X2 and the AKG K712 Pro... or the K550?

I have compared my X2 with my K551. There were a paragraph on my review page... (please check it first if you didn't see it yet).

I don't have K712. Ordered K7XX, but it will arrive in the Feb batch.

..and tell me what do you want to know specifically
wink_face.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #2,177 of 15,268
If memory serves, that question came up a few times earlier in this and Baycode's X2 review thread. Use the "search this thread" icon with "650" as criteria. Should get some good hits from that.
I've listened to both, but not back to back A/B so not as valid as a comparison by a member that owns both.

Good luck and have fun!
wink.gif

Thanks very much for your help. Having a look now

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #2,178 of 15,268
Quick question about the dx90. Is that only a music player? Or can it be used to improve other sources, like a laptop?

Oh and I'm loving the x2s. They really just get better and better. Also mine aren't bleeding from what I can tell.

It can be used as a usb DAC (and amp too I think)

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #2,180 of 15,268
  guys 

ebay has the x2s for £189 

what a bargain amazon has them for £223
gs1000.gif

Got them from ebay, the packaging was terrible (absent really), but they arrived still in one piece. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #2,182 of 15,268
I have compared my X2 with my K551. There were a paragraph on my review page... (please check it first if you didn't see it yet).

I don't have K712. Ordered K7XX, but it will arrive in the Feb batch.

..and tell me what do you want to know specifically :wink_face:  

Please do a comparison between X2s and K7xx when you get those!

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #2,183 of 15,268
Just got mine from gamestore247 on Ebay for £189 delivered. Ignore the bad reviews. I had no issues as do most people. I am enjoying them but might have to get a DAC/AMP to make the most of them (at least if I want to use them on my PC or DJ controller). On the PC the volume is merely 'adequate' (MSI GD65 Gaming motherboard) and on my DJ Controller (Twitch) it distorts badly above a certain volume level. Not enough power to drive them. On my old Sony surround sound receiver I have no such problems. I could seriously deafen myself and no distortion.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,184 of 15,268
Well I got them from that store and there was just a black bag covering the box. Which worked out fine, but you'd expect some bubble wraps of some sorts spending 200£.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #2,186 of 15,268
My compliments to a your superb and thorough review, Baycode. I came across it weeks ago and kept meaning to read it.

I've compared my K550's to at least half a dozen above-average headphones (including the NAD HP50 and JBL S500). While the K550 produce excellent clarity and detail, I also found they sounded a bit "thin". I'm expecting the same will be true when compared to the X2.

I was tempted to purchase a set of X2's from Amazon.it (for ~$275 bottom-line) but I'll stick with Amazon.com, who just updated my X2's estimated delivery date: they could be delivered to me as early as Friday. Yes!

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #2,187 of 15,268
  Just got mine from gamestore247 on Ebay for £189 delivered. Ignore the bad reviews. I had no issues as do most people. I am enjoying them but might have to get a DAC/AMP to make the most of them (at least if I want to use them on my PC or DJ controller). On the PC the volume is merely 'adequate' (MSI GD65 Gaming motherboard) and on my DJ Controller (Twitch) it distorts badly above a certain volume level. Not enough power to drive them. On my old Sony surround sound receiver I have no such problems. I could seriously deafen myself and no distortion.

What version is it?  There are a few variants of the GD65 mobo out there; you'll have to be more specific.  If it's the Z87 version, you should be able to drive them to very loud volumes.  Even if it is the Z77 version, it should be able to handle the X2s.  The Z87 Gryphon with the Realtek ALC892, an inferior DAP to the ALC898, can drive my X1s to the point that they hurt my ears.  How loud do you listen to your music?

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,188 of 15,268
Fidelio X2 is not wasted with Realtek integrated chip ?
I have Realtek 1150, you think its good ? many users said that passing to integrated to sound card the difference is extreme ...... not true ? 
blink.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #2,189 of 15,268
  Fidelio X2 is not wasted with Realtek integrated chip ?
I have Realtek 1150, you think its good ? many users said that passing to integrated to sound card the difference is extreme ...... not true ? 
blink.gif

I have not heard the Realtek ALC1150, but it's not a bad chip when used correctly.  It's not as much as what the DAC (or in your case, the codec) is as it is how it is implemented.  Sound quality differs greatly from motherboard to motherboard, even when using the same chip(s).  This goes for all audio devices, such as DACs, amps, etc.  I mean, this mobo is probably a better source than many external setups out there despite being a motherboard: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97-GAMING-9-ACK.html#hero-overview
What's the model of your motherboard?
Also, the difference between onboard and an external setup/soundcard is probably not going to be that great; every little difference on head-fi is exaggerated way too much.  Some person around here even preferred a setup with the ALC1150 to the Chord Hugo.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #2,190 of 15,268
My guess is to keep the weight down as it is free delivery after all. No issues here. Hermes delivered a day early and no bangs on the box. I guess it's pot luck. I have braided the cable as it is too long for my needs. If the metal bands bother me enough I may strip them off and re-glue them myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back