Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 4, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #2,146 of 15,268
This is one of the songs I've been enjoying a lot with X2s lately. From Dash Berlin's new album.

This is the Photographer remix for those who want to dance (X2s surely make me want to dance).

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #2,147 of 15,268
I've been burning in my X2s and I must agree with many that the sound keeps getting better. Treble loses edginess and settles down. Bass gets tighter. I have to disagree about mids being recessed. The mids on my X2 are far from recessed. In fact, with Norah Jones I can hear so much detail and clarity in her voice. 

Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone played with aftermarket cables for their X2s? Care to comment on what you have tried and any recommendations for synergistic pairings?

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,148 of 15,268
  Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone played with aftermarket cables for their X2s? Care to comment on what you have tried and any recommendations for synergistic pairings?

I switched over to the black V-Moda cable that came with my M-80s. Sounds great. Frankly, I don't hear any difference from the stock X2 cable. The V-Moda cable is simply a much more convenient length (much shorter).
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #2,149 of 15,268
X2 and recessed vocals does not compute. The person must be used to some really mid forward headphones because the X2's mids are far from recessed. Irony being that the M50 has recessed midrange. But hey, I've heard weirder.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #2,150 of 15,268
X2 and recessed vocals does not compute. The person must be used to some really mid forward headphones because the X2's mids are far from recessed. Irony being that the M50 has recessed midrange. But hey, I've heard weirder.

I am sorry sir. I totally agree my ears are far from trained compared to yours. And it is true i am used mid forward headphones, thts why i am feeling i am still adjusting to the X2s. For some reason, my ath-m50 vocals sound closer than with the X2, but that doesnt mean i enjoy the vocals on the ath-m50 more. The vocals presenation on the X2 is still superior.
Btw! This is my first open headphones, and maybe i am not used to open headphones or how to judge them. Overall, the X2 kills the ath-m50 in every way sonically.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #2,151 of 15,268
That may be why. The open soundstage can place sounds a little further away. The M50 isn't known for a good soundstage (it's quite closed in and intimate, actually), which may be why everything sounds close to you. That being said, in the actual mix itself, the M50 places mids further away compared to the bass and treble, while the X2 keeps the mids generally inline with both the bass and treble.

I've owned the M50 myself, as well as had the M50LE in the house for over a year. I love those headphones, but yes, the X2 is on another level.

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #2,152 of 15,268

I've been burning in my X2s and I must agree with many that the sound keeps getting better. Treble loses edginess and settles down. Bass gets tighter. I have to disagree about mids being recessed. The mids on my X2 are far from recessed. In fact, with Norah Jones I can hear so much detail and clarity in her voice. 

I'm using this cable: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00HYGF3KK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
It's a tiny bit stiffer, but looks much nicer than the stock cable. I don't believe in cables making any difference, so I can't comment on the sound.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #2,153 of 15,268
They make a difference if the resistance is too high. Cables should be tested with a multimeter.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #2,154 of 15,268
Good news... Amazon.com says the X2 will back in stock on January 9th.

I wonder... Did Amazon simply not anticipate the high demand for the X2 (and not order enough stock from Philips)? Or did Philips not manufacture enough units? I suppose it's a possibly that the X2 is really isn't "sold-out" on Amazon... It's just a ploy to further increase its demand/hype.

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #2,155 of 15,268
I am sorry sir. I totally agree my ears are far from trained compared to yours. And it is true i am used mid forward headphones, thts why i am feeling i am still adjusting to the X2s. For some reason, my ath-m50 vocals sound closer than with the X2, but that doesnt mean i enjoy the vocals on the ath-m50 more. The vocals presenation on the X2 is still superior.
Btw! This is my first open headphones, and maybe i am not used to open headphones or how to judge them. Overall, the X2 kills the ath-m50 in every way sonically.

Yeah, you get that recessed feeling when you come Senn family or M50 where the mids are forward. However, mids are not recessed in X2 and it is there where it need to be. Once you get adjusted to the sound signature it'll make a big difference. Please do post your observations in few days time.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,157 of 15,268
Just got my X2.  I've been using the Sony MA900 for a little over a year and have to say I really liked it, but the X2 seems to win in every way.

I like the sound signature of the MA900, but the X2 is more well rounded, especially noticeable with bass.  It's astonishing how much higher quality the build is in comparison not to mention replaceable ear cups and the option to use your own cords.

It's a clear winner so far, but I still need more time for critical listening to give a final opinion.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #2,158 of 15,268
  Anyone here have or have had HD700, and could compare them to the X2? There's a very nice discount in a local shop on the HD700s and wondering if I should get them instead.

Are you treble sensitive?  What's your opinion on bass?  What types of music do you listen to?  Do you want a very large soundstage?  What DAC and amp are you using?

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #2,160 of 15,268
  Are you treble sensitive?  What's your opinion on bass?  What types of music do you listen to?  Do you want a very large soundstage?  What DAC and amp are you using?

I don't think so, at least overly so. I appreciate a bright sound. I like bass, but not too much (like my old DT 770 had..). I listen to a lot of genres, from classical to trance and techno and a lot in between. I love a large soundstage. At the moment I only have a Soundblaster Z soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back