Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,667 of 15,268
  what about the 650s ?

Though you might get by with listening to them with the volume maxed out or something, an amp is very highly recommended.
And if you didn't figure it out already, my last post was a joke.

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #1,670 of 15,268
Dec 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #1,671 of 15,268
  I use the FiiO RC-MH1 and it works great.  Thanks to miceblue for taking this measurement...

Impedance (0.163 Ω) of RC-MH1 cable

Same here, love it. Perfect length and looks great.

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,672 of 15,268
  Thanks, so X2 basically beats it on every front in your opinion ? if i did pick either up would it be possible to drive them off a realtek AC1150 ?

Realtek ALC 1150 is a great dac. X2 can be driven by almost anything so you won't have a problem with it. HD650s however, will probably require an amp as your computer's headphone jack is probably not powerful enough to drive 300 ohms headphones. You'd have to buy an amp for HD650s.

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #1,673 of 15,268
  X2s have such a high danceability factor, I find myself doing simple dance moves at my chair while surfing the web (even right now as I'm listening to Heart of Gold by Neil Young which sound superb with X2s).

+1  After finishing a minor alteration to my HM5 velours pad mod, I fired up "Kid Charlemagne" by Steely Dan.  The urge to dance was irresistible, so I have to give the X2s a very high boogie factor rating (just read that phrase in a review of the HE-560s, and love it).

Pix of the new trix to follow...

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #1,675 of 15,268
LOL at the one Amazon review of that FiiO cable:

www.amazon.com/FiiO-RC-MH1-Headphone-Upgrade-Cable/dp/B00GGL5TKI

Seems people who like it might want to balance out those stars 
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,677 of 15,268
The 1150 drives my X2 fine, but you are better off with something like the fiio E07K, it sounds better than the 1150..

I don't know if it's just me, but the e07 made myX1s sound slightly muddier. I'll be get my X2s in a day or two and I'll test em out with the FiiO and see if there's a differnce

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #1,679 of 15,268
In my quest to make a decent mounting system for the HM5 velour pads, I hit on the idea of using the thin, self-adhesive Creatology foam.  The stock pads, being recessed underneath, easily take two pieces stacked on top of each other and still don't show as much as the single piece with the HM5 pads pictured below.  The trick with a single piece of foam was to mount it to the pads, then cut the vinyl and dust shield fabric of the pads through the mounting post holes such that the mounting posts on the cups go through. X-acto knife to the rescue.  Without that final step, the pads don't stay flush, with the vinyl and fabric pushing them away.  Pushed through, the mounting posts push into the memory foam of the pads no problem.

I tried with the thicker, non-adhesive Creatology foam + carpet tape, and with the double-stacked foam rings.  Both took the drivers too far from my ears, and increased clamping pressure, as one might expect.  This is pretty much the ideal solution for using these pads.

OK, boring schiit out of the way, here's what is looks like.  One could choose a different color, of course, including black which would blend in to the cans as a whole.  I really like the racing stripe red, as does my wife.  "Oooooooh! Excellent!" she said 
cool.gif
  FWIW, it looks less pink in real life.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #1,680 of 15,268
  In my quest to make a decent mounting system for the HM5 velour pads, I hit on the idea of using the thin, self-adhesive Creatology foam.  The stock pads, being recessed underneath, easily take two pieces stacked on top of each other and still don't show as much as the single piece with the HM5 pads pictured below.  The trick with a single piece of foam was to mount it to the pads, then cut the vinyl and dust shield fabric of the pads through the mounting post holes such that the mounting posts on the cups go through. X-acto knife to the rescue.  Without that final step, the pads don't stay flush, with the vinyl and fabric pushing them away.  Pushed through, the mounting posts push into the memory foam of the pads no problem.

I tried with the thicker, non-adhesive Creatology foam + carpet tape, and with the double-stacked foam rings.  Both took the drivers too far from my ears, and increased clamping pressure, as one might expect.  This is pretty much the ideal solution for using these pads.

OK, boring schiit out of the way, here's what is looks like.  One could choose a different color, of course, including black which would blend in to the cans as a whole.  I really like the racing stripe red, as does my wife.  "Oooooooh! Excellent!" she said 
cool.gif
  FWIW, it looks less pink in real life.

This looks sick. This could maybe be a fix for all the X1 owners, right? Because the X1 doesn't have any rings or reusable prongs for pad changes. This might be the best way for X1s to change their pads. How does the sound change? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back