Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 26, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #1,276 of 15,268
  To the people who have already listened to the X2's, would you recommend upgrading from the Yamaha MT-220's to the X2's for specifically gaming and watching movies? 

I haven't watched a film with these yet but the sound is full, engaging with good bass so I expect these would be great for watching films. MT-220 is for studio monitoring as far as I know, so I think X2 would be better for watching films and gaming.

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #1,277 of 15,268

Great write up!  I too have been listening to songs haphazardly like an ADD child.  And like you, I've found myself occasionally swept up by the power of the music and shutting off the pesky analytical part of my mind.  In the end that's what it's all about.  

Thank you, glad you liked it. That's usually how I like to break in headphones (while wandering through things I enjoy or want to hear on the headphones based on what I perceive its strengths to be). Since I'm unsure on the concept of "break-in" as opposed to our brain adjusting to the new acoustic delivery, I tend to just enjoy them from the get go. So if they do actually physically change for the better, I can enjoy them as they evolve into their final form. Granted I haven't noticed that happening personally yet, but I remain open to the possibility. Another thing about the wandering through the different type of genres, it lets you musically discover the strengths (sometimes surprising genres or performances) of your new headphones on a personally catered level. As opposed to just referencing graphs for example (of course, I see the value in it, just noting that the final verdict is always my own level of enjoyment from listening with my own ears). I enjoy this sense of exploration you get to experience. Of course this is also how you find incompatible aspects as well. Such as me finding out I can't deal well with unruly treble/sibilance. Which I've unfortunately experienced with some AKG headphones. Hopefully the K7XX proves to not have this issue for me. But yeah I agree, we're all in this hobby for the purpose to better enjoy (and to many, the enjoyment of getting step by step closer to our ever fleeting "perfect" sound trying new headphones, dacs, amps, modding, etc.) our music and sounds. So it's always a pleasant surprise when you try on new headphones and you forget to have a purpose and end up just enjoying the music. Given my tastes in music (varied), I find it to be a testament to the versatility of the X2 that I haven't ran into anything yet that I find to be bad through these headphones.

Just finished enjoying a movie as well (Automata). I haven't had much experience with watching movies with headphones since I usually just used my surround speaker set up, but I must say the sound was very good with the headphones. For those that have seen the movie, you might remember some of the more tranquil scenes with quiet music playing. These scenes were notably more poignant with the sound delivery from the X2. Makes me want to go listen to some Two Steps From Hell and X-Ray Dog and the like next.

I'm really enjoying the X2. It sounds great. They have a definite winner with the X2. I think when they move up to a higher end, other companies better watch out.

The tuning is nearly perfect, IMHO.

It's too bad you don't still have access to a X1 (if I recall correctly) for direct comparison. Since at least for me, my initial exposure to this model was your guide, and would have loved a comparison. But it is awesome that you're enjoying the sound as well, and I look forward to your impression/review of it from a gaming perspective. The last bit I have set aside, is allotted for the Sound Blaster X7 (pending reviews/feedback). I'm cautiously optimistic about it since it potentially solves a lot of my needs in a single package, yet I've been burned by creative's driver issues in the past with my computer. We'll see soon I guess.

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #1,278 of 15,268

eek.gif

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #1,280 of 15,268
L3000.gif
as well. Nice share Sundown. Wasn't quite sure about the cascading broken voice samples at the start, but the track opened up nicely indeed. Also the constant snapping percussion sound is close to the type of sound frequencies that I'd hear screeching sibilance on certain headphones. So glad it's not present here on the X2.

As a random aside, prior to the track, Google loaded an epic Lord of The Rings trailer (scenes they chose were very good, and the edits were great, but the sound was really the star; the sound was rousing, the score was epic, the steady rumbling of the bass was tight and measured; made the trailer damn epic) which I guess is due to playing some Two Steps From Hell tracks I didn't have files for. But either way not exactly the best musical transition to this song ha ha. Just thought I'd share something I found funny. If you didn't find it humorous, blame my sleep deprivation (been a while since I pulled an all-nighter just listening to music, well and one movie).

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #1,281 of 15,268
Byrnie
Yes! It seems the shure 1540 are the better headphones overall.
Here are my questions:
1. Which one is warmer?
2. Which one has less harsh treble?
3. Which one has more forward vocals and which one does vocals better in ur opinion?
4. What does X2 do better than the shures?
5. Given you are listening in a quiet environment, would you still pick the shures (although closed headphones) over the fidelios (although open headphones) to listen to?

And thank you very much!

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #1,282 of 15,268
  Just received the Philips Fidelio X2 today from Amazon.com. I'm coming from a HD-650 paired with a Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 Plus.

First impressions are rather good (no burn-in). I'm quite impressed from Philips with the sound quality. Bass is very good, but a little bit muddy (It is getting better the more I listen). Mids are a bit recessed compared to the HD-650's. Instrument separation on the HD-650's is much better. I kept interchanging between the two headphones and initial impressions are that they are indeed a "fun sounding headphone" and are quite impressive for $300. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 They are "clear" sounding, but I just felt like the HD-650's were "clearer". Even with all the people that say the HD-650's have a veil. 
wink.gif

I'm currently burning them in with pink noise and hopefully the bass will get tighter and everything will start coming out and sounding better. I am rather hopeful! 
biggrin.gif

Actually Tubemagic D1 has high output impedance of 50 Ohm and maybe is not the best match for the 30 Ohm X2.  Try if you have other source with lower impedance and see how it sounds. Also burn in should improve the bass muddiness a little.

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #1,283 of 15,268
That's why I wrote in quotation mark. :) They are not flagships but 2nd best of Senn and Fostex. Still expensive for most people unlike X2. I must say though, X2 is to me preferable to HD800 and TH900 as well. TH900's highs are piercing which I cannot tolerate. HD800, while technically much better, is less musical. HD800 is like a surgeon. Great at his job but not emotional. X2 is musical and technically better than HD650 with great bass, so it's perfect for me. I think it's like a better HD650 which doesn't need amping which therefore results in awesomeness. :) One man's treasure is another man's trash so others may think differently.

My mistake, I didn't catch the quotation marks :)

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #1,284 of 15,268
Byrnie
Yes! It seems the shure 1540 are the better headphones overall.
Here are my questions:
1. Which one is warmer?
2. Which one has less harsh treble?
3. Which one has more forward vocals and which one does vocals better in ur opinion?
4. What does X2 do better than the shures?
5. Given you are listening in a quiet environment, would you still pick the shures (although closed headphones) over the fidelios (although open headphones) to listen to?

And thank you very much!

1 1540 IMO but I haven't A/B'd the two yet
2 Not sure, that would require A/B'ing the two which I haven't done yet
3 probably the X2
4 I already mentioned that in my post above :)
5 I think the X2 is a better buy, value-wise but I still enjoy my 1540s especially for movies

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,285 of 15,268
I'm at work and I can't wait to go home to my X2s. :) I have AKG Y40s  and also laptop speakers (I have my own office room) but they just don't cut it. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #1,286 of 15,268
Byrnie
I am sorry! My fifth question wasnt about value. And sorry again, by "pick" I didnt mean "buy". I was trying to say that if u had both of those headphones with u, and u were in a quiet environment wanting to listen to music, would you pick the shures (although closed) or would you pick the fidelio bcz in the end of the day an open phones like the fidelio X2 will have a superior sound to a closed phones like the shure 1540s?
I hope I phrased my question better this time.
Thanx a lot!

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,287 of 15,268
Byrnie
I am sorry! My fifth question wasnt about value. And sorry again, by "pick" I didnt mean "buy". I was trying to say that if u had both of those headphones with u, and u were in a quiet environment wanting to listen to music, would you pick the shures (although closed) or would you pick the fidelio bcz in the end of the day an open phones like the fidelio X2 will have a superior sound to a closed phones like the shure 1540s?
I hope I phrased my question better this time.
Thanx a lot!

ahh ok my mistake. Well we should add Change is Good in this conversation as he also has both headphones. My answer would be that it depends on what percentage you will be using it for what activities. They are both great headphones mind you but it's me and I plan to watch a lot of movies/TV shows/anime or listen to EDM with these then I would lean toward the 1540. Just my .02 and keep in my mind I love well-done closed headphones above open ones. I really don't think you can go wrong with either headphone though. I am keeping both of these headphones though. I hope this helps! Hopefylly Change can add his .02 too so you have more perspective.

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #1,288 of 15,268
The 1540 is close to double the price of the X2, so it's a lopsided comparison to begin with. I would HOPE the 1540 is a better headphone, considering it's price. if they're both comparable in comfort, then i would assume people will reach for the 1540 more than not, assuming it's worth it's price.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #1,289 of 15,268
The 1540 is close to double the price of the X2, so it's a lopsided comparison to begin with. I would HOPE the 1540 is a better headphone, considering it's price. if they're both comparable in comfort, then i would assume people will reach for the 1540 more than not, assuming it's worth it's price.

True. I don't normally compare open vs closed headphones either but I was asked to compare the X2 to the Z7 and 1540.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,290 of 15,268
Cross posting this from "Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide"

I have a pair arriving today along with the BoomPro mic and I am itching to get home from work and test them out. Here is what I currently own and will be testing against:
Headphones [DT-990 250, Sennheiser HD598, Sennheiser HD280 Pro, Creative Aurvana, Astro A50]
Sources [Soundblaster Z, Fiio e10, Turtle Beach DSS2 on PS4, Moto X 2014 with FLAC, Direct from PS4 controller]

My closed and open headphones usually receive specifically different usages, but I always like to do an A-B test on all of my headphones just to feel out the different nuances. My DT-990's have been my daily up to now, but I have never been 100% happy comfort wise with them. I am hoping the X2 will be a better fit for me, and the BoomPro mic cable should add a lot of flexibility for my usage.

I will also be keeping a close eye on the K7XX. I had the Q701 and liked the sound but the headband was far too obnoxious. I am certainly looking forward to hearing more feedback and comparisons from others once they receive the X2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back